Author Topic: Last Post Wins - V3  (Read 728683 times)

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
Re: Last Post Wins - V3
« Reply #9180 on: October 09, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »
I completely agree. These things should be made to handle not only bumps but also the hot and cold temps. I don't think things are ever going to be made better again because companies need to keep selling things and making money.  :technical:

After taking the dash apart today and checking the inline fuse for the player, it was fine. Then while I was holding the player in my hand, still hooked up, I turned the van on and this sneaky sob decided to turn on. :grrr:
So I checked every wire, wiggled them around, twisted them, etc... and couldn't get it to act up. It stayed on and worked perfect. :sigh:

Soooo I put it all back together but I have a hunch it's gonna die soon... or at least start acting up. When I was resetting the time of day, the front display went all crazy... so yeah. I'm gonna keep shopping and reading reviews and have one picked out.

I've heard good things about Alpine too! AFAIK they don't have one that would work for my van though. And after doing some searching, it seems that I'm gonna be stuck having to choose from off-brand players. Needless to say, whichever one I pick, I'm getting the best warranty possible on it.

Best wishes for you to have a great weekend!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9181 on: October 10, 2020, 12:36:46 PM »
Ah you gotta love electrical devices... it works! Nup, doesn't work. Oh, it works!. Nup, doesn't work  >:( :hithead: :technical: :D

Hopefully either it holds out for a while or you can get a decent replacement  :thumb:

The 450's sitting in the workshop with the seat and tank off ready for some tacho installation activities this morning, so I should have a completed photo to share real soon. I fired it up very briefly yesterday to verify which wire is which on the tacho and discovered the backlight bulb had blown so I've replaced that already too.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9182 on: October 11, 2020, 02:28:00 AM »
Tacho on  :thumb:

It's still messy up front with the stock control cables and clubmans but at least the headlight relays are mounted properly again. Once I get back to going back into scrambler mode in theory the cables should all be able to be tidied up again.

Definitely liking the big tacho and little speedo though  :thumb:

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #9183 on: October 12, 2020, 02:15:12 PM »
I love love love the look of that!!!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9184 on: October 13, 2020, 07:12:31 PM »
Cheers Showbiz! Yeah I'm happy with how it turned out, and it's so nice to have a tacho back again. The gauges look more "complete" now to my rider's eyes. I'm enjoying the 450 on the commute again this week :)
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #9185 on: October 24, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »
I had to put a new front tyre on the Kat on Friday, and I went with the new BT46 this time. Out for a ride yesterday and got it scrubbed in nicely, feels so good with fresh rubber :D

On the topic of tyres though, I had a chat with the fella at the tyre shop about dual sports for the 450 as all I could find in the right sizes were Shinko SR244s. While they're probably ok, I wanted to see what alternatives are out there. Given my riding would still be 90%+ on the road, he suggested steering away from them as they will move around a bit and wear quickly, and instead he pointed me to some Heidenau K60 Scouts instead, and they're good tyres. I can get a 90/90-18 for the front, but will need to run a 110/80-18 on the rear instead of a 100/90-18, but he reckons that size will be fine. He knows what he's talking about. Sounds like my return to the scrambler next year has a chance of success :D Oh, and they're cheaper! The pair would set me back $AU240 whereas a pair of the Avon Roadriders I run now are nearly $AU300.

On another topic again, I'm still struggling with the VM33 Smoothbores on the Kat, and the throttle from closed to open is still like a light switch, very on/off. In addition, there's still a hesitation when you close the throttle while the revs are up, and then open it again quickly. It's enough to put me off a bit in the tight twisties. I had a quick chat with one of the other fellas yesterday and he has a set on his Kat, so he gave me a swap to try them out, and it's a night and day difference. Close the throttle on his and then crack it, and it just responds. There's a slight hint of it there, but I think I only notice that because I'm looking for it, they're smooth as aside from that. That tells me once I swap the head out, I need to spend more time on the VM33s again because they can get oh so much better.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #9186 on: Today at 01:03:14 PM »
A week from today having the same leg which was amputated nov21 2016 on nov 3 2020 the same leg which was an LBKA is being shortened to the knee. Assuming no complications.
Aaron :technical:
Actually 6 days. Sounds weird but im excited. Because i will be able to walk and at some point ride a motorcycle again
« Last Edit: Today at 01:06:14 PM by yamahonkawazuki »
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk