Author Topic: 1993 GS500 $300 non running project.  (Read 294 times)

Offline GVH

• AMA Supersport Racer
1993 GS500 $300 non running project.
« on: July 26, 2020, 09:42:20 AM »
OK been a while since I've had a GS500. Couldn't resist this project bike. The story I was given. Purchased and driven for 3 years no problems. 4th year hard starting and running poorly. Rebuilt used carbs installed at a shop started better but running problems. Seemed to dies once it warmed up. Uncle gave her a free Ninja 600 GS put in storage.

So far if you try to start the bike it cranks good and then a big backfire out exhaust. I did a comp test on the bike. Plugs out but didn't crank throttle. 130 and 135. booster pack on battery and wide open throttle 140 and 150. Solid 150 plus on both with a bit of oil in cylinders. I then pulled carbs to see how nasty they might be after storage. Very clean but one jet bad a stripped head. Even with drained cleaned up carbs squirting gogo juice in the air box backfires only. I now have the valve cover off but need to get feeler guages and review test procedure. 

Running 1989 parts bike

Offline struckjm

• Local Club Racer
Re: 1993 GS500 $300 non running project.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 11:25:16 AM »
I am in a similar boat.

I bought a 2000 GS500e that wasn't running for $750. Better story: running great for ten years. Passed down from one son to the next. Last one got deployed, and emptied gas tank and removed air box and stored in garage.

The electrics work. The starter goes click click click. But I haven't been able to get it to turn over yet.

I've:
-replaced spark plugs
-replaced oil and filter
-replaced fuel petcock (at tank)
-replaced fuel lines
-replaced factory airbox (used) with K&N filter
-tried to starting it with starter aerosol in the airbox

Currently I have the carbs off the bike. I didn't feel confident doing a full rebuild so I've just taken the covers off and blasted it with Berryman's B12. If I reassemble it and it still doesn't start, I am kinda lost.
It needs a new back tire and new safety inspection. I understand how to change the tire, but don't want to buy the tools or waste the time to do so. So if I can't get it to start, strongly considering getting a pro to rebuild/rejet carbs, put pods on and do the other shop stuff(tire and inspection).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk