Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 235 times)

Offline Bod

• Local Club Racer
Hello all!
« on: August 06, 2020, 10:48:32 PM »
Good morning. I have just purchased a 1995 GS500e and had a few questions about the handlebars. The bars on my bike are in a race position and I was wondering whether or not they can be altered to allow me to sit up-right more for a commuter style? I have seen some images of over GS's with the altered, but not sure if it applies to my model.

Thanks a lot

Bod

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
Re: Hello all!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 03:21:57 AM »
Put a pic up - If they're what I think they are - they may be worth some $$$.
The stock GS of 95 upper triple will take low rise dirt bike 7/8" bar and those are not too $$$ on ebay. They're thick aluminum, awesome stuff.
Get 7/8th all the way across not the 1 1/8th in the center and 7/8th ends.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 07:53:14 AM »
Welcome,....where pics?! :dunno_black:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline Bod

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 12:05:37 AM »
Hi all. Sorry for not replying. Been travelling down to Bulgaria. Here is a pic of the bike. I only have this one with me as the others are on my pc at home.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1fesbD51RVg92y667

Offline The Buddha

• Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 06:46:40 AM »
Euro high rise clip on's.
OK you cant get much higher than those - wider and lower yes - swap the risers with 89 risers and put longer tubes and your cables should allow that.
The whole limit in getting closer to you is cable length and of course swapping the upper triple for US spec 90 on upper triple.
That triple is worth $$$ but mainly to someone in the US where it was never sold.
I'd also look into stuff like this -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Universal-7-8-22mm-Motorcycle-Dirt-Bike-ATV-Handlebar-Riser-Taper-Clamps/124213387605?hash=item1cebb1e155:g:Y90AAOSwPcVVszRZ

That would replace the bolt in the middle with a longer one, where the bolt goes though this and your triples.
Then a 7/8th bar will fit, but again closer to you or wider you will rapidly run into wiring and cabling problems.

Cool.
Buddha.

Offline Bod

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 01:14:31 AM »
Hi there. Thanks for the information. So basically it might be worth just leaving it as it is. Otherwise it's going to be mega money?

Offline sledge

• Motorcycle God!
  • He's Mr Brightside
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 05:33:23 AM »
Years ago I sent a set of euro clip-ons to someone from here, cant remember who it was, don`t think it was Ken........... :icon_question:

Anyway.......in addition to control cable lengths there is another issue associated with swapping clip-ons for straights. The front brake reservoir, the version for clip-ons is angled. You can remove the top without spilling any brake fluid.  Put an angled reservoir on straight bars and you cant......well you can but it is not as easy.

Offline The Buddha

• Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 06:42:59 AM »
Years ago I sent a set of euro clip-ons to someone from here, cant remember who it was, don`t think it was Ken........... :icon_question:

Anyway.......in addition to control cable lengths there is another issue associated with swapping clip-ons for straights. The front brake reservoir, the version for clip-ons is angled. You can remove the top without spilling any brake fluid.  Put an angled reservoir on straight bars and you cant......well you can but it is not as easy.

Adidasguy was a huge fan of these. I have a couple sets, if I ever find them, I'll likely just sell em, I'm either a 89 or kat FE guy, these aren't my fave. They are higher but the tip down angle is steeper than 89 or kat.

Cool.
Buddha.

Offline sledge

• Motorcycle God!
  • He's Mr Brightside
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 09:09:36 AM »
I think it was someone called Trey, or Troy or Trev.......but I dunno, it was at least 15 years ago and he has probably long gone now.  He was happy to paypal me 75 inc postage at the time...thats about $100 of your bucks. Easy money.

At the time the bone yards round here were full of Gs5`s and you could pick those clip-ons up for 10......its 20-30 now and they never have the 4 cap head bolts included. Getting hard to find too, everyone here is breaking their MOT failures at home now, then off loading the bits on ebay and buying a Bandit or an SV .......a good engine makes strong money though...... if you can prove history/mileage show it runs and doesn't have any broken header bolts, someone who doesn't understand the concept of checking their oil level will pay up to 500.

Offline The Buddha

• Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
Adidasguy called one of his bikes Trey. LOL.
Ken doll doesn't like my idea so he dont want to build chit for me. His idea IMHO impossible cos it means lifting some 120,000 lb container - anyway - I am slapping chit together, will talk to ken again today/tommorow I would think.
Cool.
Buddha.

Offline Bod

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 11:28:19 PM »
Morning guys. So basically by doing everything you suggested it won't make much of a difference to the ride style. I'm not really confident in taking the steering by myself which makes me think not to bother. 😔

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk