Author Topic: Electrical problems - 12V shorted to ground  (Read 88 times)

Offline SmithvilleFlats

• AMA Supersport Racer
Electrical problems - 12V shorted to ground
« on: September 20, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm curious to hear if anyone has experience with this issue.

I just installed a Shorai lithium ion battery, and in lower temperatures it is recommended that you turn your headlight on for ~5 minutes before cranking the starter. I did this, and plugged my phone in to charge while waiting. When I came back, the phone had charged from 27% to 35% and all the lights were off. I went off hunting for jumper cables, and was told a maintenance guy would come over. By the time I got back to my bike, I could see a crowd around my bike (we were camping) and saw that they were trying to jump it.

From what they tell me, the lights came on and it cranked, but after that I got no response. Checking things with a multimeter, it looks like there is a short between 12V and ground now.

I suspect that they tried to jump it directly on the starter solenoid, possibly with the ground from the jump pack on the starter side of the solenoid.

I haven't started tearing into it yet, I figured I would see what other people thought.

It's a 1992
Has anyone ever experienced this, or something similar?
Where is the best place to start looking for the short?

Offline Sporty

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Electrical problems - 12V shorted to ground
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 02:29:01 PM »
How have you determined the short?
A digital multimeter will show some continuity B+ to ground. (Itís doesnít necessarily indicate a short)

Battery B+ (12 VDC +)  goes to the starter relay (solenoid) un-fused. That is really the only place for a high current short. That run from the battery to the relay and/or the relay/ starter.

From there itís to the 20 Amp fuse. That should blow if there is any short in the system.

Have you checked the 20 Amp fuse? (Not the spare in the rubber, but unplug the plastic connector)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:19:56 PM by Sporty »
Used Suzuki GS500 = motorcycle adventure without leaving the shop.

Current motorcycles: 1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

Offline Sporty

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Electrical problems - 12V shorted to ground
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 02:31:16 PM »
Used Suzuki GS500 = motorcycle adventure without leaving the shop.

Current motorcycles: 1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk