Author Topic: Bought my first bike recently, a 1995 Suzuki GS500E  (Read 167 times)

Offline FuddyDuds

• Local Club Racer
Bought my first bike recently, a 1995 Suzuki GS500E
« on: November 21, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
Hello! Well as the title says, last week I bought my first bike, and Iíve been using this forum more and more the past few days that I thought Iíd make an account and introduce myself, as well as ask some questions and advice.

First things first she runs. At least I was able to fire her up with some starter fluid in the air box while it was connected to a car battery. The bad news is due to the previous owner leaving acetone in the tank too long, it didnít come with a fuel tank. Thatís my biggest problem, as Iím struggling to find a tank on eBay that doesnít cost me $500. Iíve read here the later model tanks will fit the 95, and already plan on altering or replacing my seat which Iíve heard might be necessary if youíre installing an 01+ tank. So that all said Iím looking for either style tank with really no preference so if you know of a one thatís looking for a new home and willing to ship to 78732, Iíve got a bike that could use it. Also any and all experiences or advice is welcome as far as the installation process is concerned, everything Iím doing Iím doing for the first time and am looking forward to the learning process.

In that vein having never seen the tank in person or obviously on the bike and Iím a bit concerned Iím missing some of the mounting/brackets for the tank. Maybe Iím nuts, Iíll include some pictures if anyone has any identifying or general information. (It turns out I canít upload pictures from my iPhone, when I get to my computer Iíll comment them)

Things Iíve done include new plugs, new clutch lever, hit the chain, new clutch lever, dismantled and cleaned the front brakes, they were gross, and I have a battery and air and oil filters coming. At the moment I have the back brake off the bike and dissembled, however Iíve only managed to remove one of the pistons after soaking them in Blaster over night. Ive gotten three of them, but any tips or tricks on how to get a stuck brake piston out would be greatly appreciated.

In summary:
I need a gas tank (Iím going to go post this in the For Sale/Wanted section)
Iím looking for some knowledge about the tank installation
Iím looking for advice on how to unstick a brake piston
Any and all help is appreciated

Hope y'all are riding safe, canít wait to join you!

Offline Joolstacho

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • www.gigarboxblues.com.au
Re: Bought my first bike recently, a 1995 Suzuki GS500E
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 04:24:21 PM »
Both tanks are interchangeable, there's no fitting issue. You might need to adapt the seat though.

Brake piston? Remove the calliper from the bike, drain fluid out of it and remove the pads. Place a piece of wood between the pistons, allowing a few mm space,
You need to use compressed air in either the bleed hole or the hose hole, - seal the other one airtight, (I'd use a bolt with plumber's tape to seal the hose fitting hole).
Blow it using the air gun ensuring there's a good seal. Wear gloves, goggles, and be prepared for an almighty crack when it 'goes'.
Beam me up Scottie....

Offline Sporty

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »

The tank just clips into the frame at the front and then two screws fasten it in the rear from underneath.

Piece #9 is a rubber cushion for the front. Is sits around the frame. 

#13 through #15 are the screws and rubber cushions and sleeves  for the rear.   Bracket #11 bolts to the frame and should still be with the bike.
Used Suzuki GS500 = motorcycle adventure without leaving the shop.

Current motorcycles: 1993 GS500E, 1996 XL1200, 1999 ST1100

Offline FuddyDuds

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 05:37:37 PM »
 Hey thanks for the tips Joolstacho! I watched a video this afternoon where someone used compressed air, but he had the caliper together and blew them both at once. The  plumbers tape sealing the banjo bolt port is a good idea. Do you have a nozzle tip suggestion for the air compressor? I donít have a tank at my house but do you think thereís a way I could use an public tire filling station? Iím thinking I could use a rubber washer between the air nozzle and the bleed hole to help seal it.

Offline FuddyDuds

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 05:38:56 PM »
Also Sporty I appreciate the diagram. Iíve ordered a manual, just waiting for it to be shipped here.

Offline Sporty

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 05:41:50 PM »
There is a lot more pressure by using the brake lever than youíd ever get with compressed air. Take the pads out and if only one piston is stuck, block the free one and pop the other out.

BTW, Good used brake calipers are cheap and plentiful on eBay. I paid $12 with shipping for a good caliper with usable pads...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:42:23 PM by Sporty »

Offline FuddyDuds

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »
I'm starting to think a new calliper is the way to go. I wanted to take them apart and clean them in order to better understand the whole mechanism, and that was accomplished. My biggest mistake I think was not pumping them out far enough before disconnecting them. I'll know better next time.

Below are some pictures of the bike and the damn piston. 

Offline Joolstacho

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • www.gigarboxblues.com.au
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 03:52:50 PM »
It's the sudden air pressure that loosens the pistons. If the pistons are seized and won't move with hydraulic pressure, I don't see how advising using hydrualic pressure helps. And what if both pistons are seized?
Beam me up Scottie....

Offline FuddyDuds

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 05:47:07 PM »
Well, Iíve bought a new back caliper anyway. But Iím going to keep working on this one after I get the bike running.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 05:44:48 PM »
When hooking up fuel lines and the new tank, make sure to follow the corrected routing diagrams in the Wiki. The ones in the books and found some other places online have errors.

http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Main.HoseRouting

I'm looking forward to your progress  :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline FuddyDuds

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 08:59:41 PM »
Thanks! I canít wait until I get to use that link haha.

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 10:13:02 AM »
An old trick is to use a grease gun to pop the brake pistons off (if you can find the right adaptors) its a but messy but works.

Offline FuddyDuds

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 05:57:04 PM »
That seems like a neat trick, with a new (used) caliper on the way Iíll give that a go on the old one when I get the time.

Offline Sporty

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 04:53:36 AM »
It's the sudden air pressure that loosens the pistons. If the pistons are seized and won't move with hydraulic pressure, I don't see how advising using hydrualic pressure helps. And what if both pistons are seized?

Air pressure from most compressors 100 to 175 PSI

Hydraulic brake line pressure 1500 - 2000 PSI

Grease gun 6000 PSI

Air pressure is good to pop out " non-stuck" pistons.

Most caliper pistons are sticking so they don't return, but can be forced out with pressure. If you have a. Allied seized so badly that it won't move with line pressure... it's not worth trying to reseal.

Once one piston pops out, their will be no pressure to push another out in the caliper... so you have to try to get them all close to out.  Single piston... no big deal.

Offline adoptme

• Local Club Racer
  • '85 VT250F, '92 GS500E, & Moto Guzzi V7II Special
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »
In case you need a parts list or a parts finder for OEM numbers - 1995 Suzuki GS500ET Parts | OEM Motorcycle Parts
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/1995/gs500e

Hope you enjoy the tank, I have also posted the following link for you, if you need more "new" OEM parts.
I will be posting a few more parts that I will be selling, if you need anything else, feel free to let me know, and we can figure out what else you may need.
Partzilla and Revzilla parts are pretty good, I had to replace a few old parts on my GS500E this April and they were really good - https://www.revzilla.com/oem-suzuki-motorcycle-parts
'85 VT250F,  '92 GS500E, & Moto Guzzi V7II Special Scrambler

Offline adoptme

• Local Club Racer
  • '85 VT250F, '92 GS500E, & Moto Guzzi V7II Special
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 11:43:10 AM »
Also, if you see a gasket kit hanging around on eBay or other sites, I would suggest looking for them, it's always good to have one handy.
I know that my mechanic and I constantly discuss this, because you never know when you need a gasket for one part of the bike, and realized that ordering them during the pandemic is a huge hassle. It's always good to have them around.
'85 VT250F,  '92 GS500E, & Moto Guzzi V7II Special Scrambler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk