News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Chain noise from engine.

Started by Boomerskeeper, August 15, 2018, 10:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerskeeper

2000 Gs500e
Can really hear the cam chain. I know it has an auto adjuster. So technically I can't adjust.  So what do I do to solve this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sarasi

Your cam chain could be worn beyond the service limit, in which case you need to replace it. Or your tensioner is rattling and/or broken. Or you could be hearing something else.

I'd open up the valve cover and check the cam chain. Measure it (I believe the limit is 158mm for 21pins) and try and lift it off the cams a bit. Should be relatively tight. You can check your tensioner (or spanner, whatever the word is) by loosening it and then using it to put proper tension on the cam chain again. If it's tighter at that point than it was before, I'd get a new tensioner.

Or maybe you find something else. Last time I was sure I heard my cam chain, but it turned out that I'd left the screwdriver I always use to close the tank petcock lying under the tank. That was the cause of the rattling I heard.
'02 GS500H ("Duckling")
RVS exhaust system | steel braided front brake line | progressive fork springs | R6 '11 rear shock | adjustable brake & clutch levers | heated grips

Kiwingenuity

As a person who experienced the pain and suffering of a broken cam chain tensioner spring, it could be that the spring is starting to fail and the chain is slapping against the valve cover - that is probably one of the things at the far end of the scale of making your life miserable..

It would be worth your while (and wallet) to rule it out in case you suffer the same failure as me and enjoy doing a complete top end rebuild.. At the least checking the tension could equally show up something else under the cover..

good luck

Boomerskeeper

Thank you both.  Body parts leave on the weekend so I guess this is my project.  Thanks again.

Joolstacho

Put a new tensioner assembly in there before you ride again, because it could easily lunch your engine if/when the camchain jumps a tooth or two.
:police:
Beam me up Scottie....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk