News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

THE BASKET-CASE IS FINALLY HOME!!!

Started by Daeouse, February 12, 2016, 03:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daeouse

My best buddy has really hooked me up! He knew I'd need help with my rebuild, so he bought me the excellent Clymer manual for my bike! Huzzah! :woohoo:

Now the work can really begin in earnest! :thumb:
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

Daeouse

Greetings to all you fine ladies and gentlemen!
Today I worked on the bike some more, and I ran into a problem:
video --->

Some pics to help:

Now, I have the manual now, but to me, the wiring diagram looks like a mess of lines and symbols. I could really use the help!
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

ShowBizWolf

I am not sure what the diagram in the manual looks like and I'd also be willing to bet that it's black and white? Anyway, just in case you haven't already seen this, maybe this one will help you out...

I know it's helped me in the past !!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

lucas

Yeah you are going to have to do some studying and detective work.

I am going to bet that the black wire with a white stripe connected to a green wire is the "side stand switch bypass" mod.  That is a fairly common mod, I did it on my bike.  (But I did it a little more permanently than twisting the wires together!)

There are three safety interlocks that can prevent the bike from starting or running: the sidestand, the clutch, and the neutral switch.  Some people disable some or all of these.  I think the most common reason is that these switches fail and it is easier to bypass then then replace them... Anyhow that's probably what happened with the black and green wires.

I'll go back and watch it again and see if I can tell you anything else.

lucas

The black/white wire to the black/yellow looks like it maybe just sloppy wiring using a random color wire to a turn signal, based on where the wires are going.  It's a little hard to see without being able to look at it in person

The only place a black and yellow wire is used is between the Ignition Control Unit and one of the coils and this does not look like that.

It is normal to have a couple loose, unconnected wires.  You can see them on the wiring diagram on the bottom right, and there are a couple in the middle-left, inside the headlight bucket.  These are ground wires and are black with a white stripe.

Daeouse

Ok, after two + hours of cross-referencing, I have a break-down of the wiring diagram I can understand. If I look at it normally, my brain fries attempting to lay it out on the bike in my mind. This allows me to use it like a checklist, which I prefer.

Four pages and a checklist page just to be sure. Borrowed a tester from a friend, so I should be able to work out what has been screwed up/messed with. I'll tackle it this weekend, so wish me luck!!!
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

ShowBizWolf

Much luck has been wished!!!

I love lists and being organized... well done sir, well done  8)
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Daeouse

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on March 10, 2016, 12:43:11 PM
Much luck has been wished!!!

I love lists and being organized... well done sir, well done  8)

:cheers:

Got bored this evening, so I did another manip using a GSX600R fairing, which might be easier to do overall. Thoughts on look and feasibility?

Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

lucas

So much luck.  Take it slow and methodical, keep track of your progress.  After I checked and fixed my wiring I felt huge satisfaction.

ShowBizWolf

I really enjoy the look of the tail section and seat. The part where it says gs500 reminds me of a build thread I saw last year maybe around this time where someone took the stock tail fairings and shortened them along with the frame and put them back on. It looked pretty nice IMO.

I can't offer much advice on feasibility because I've done some wild custom stuff in the past with fiberglass and aluminum and discovered you can do just about anything if you put your mind to it and have lots of patience..!

It looks like you picked the gixxer fairing from around '04 ish...?  I do like that one.  I have the nose fairing from that year on my GS right now... it was one of the first mods I did to my bike when I got it.

Daeouse

@ShowBizWolf, Its a 2002 fairing, yes. LOL I'll keep looking into methods to do it. . .

On another front:

ALL WIRING TRACED AND IDENTIFIED IN THE SEAT AREA!!! :woohoo:
Testing comes a little later, and I'm checking the front lights later.

Took forever to sort that mess!

There are extra black&white wires everywhere!!!
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

Daeouse

HA! Got the ignition switch out after a lot of swearing and work! I cut slots into the bolts with a hacksaw. (through the metal, too! LOL)

New switch inbound!
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

Daeouse

With the switch set incoming, I need to get a full set of tank bushings. . . anyone have any recommendations?
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

lucas

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Suzuki/Motorcycle/1991/GS500ET/FUEL+TANK+%28MODEL+K-L%29/parts.html

So far nearly all the OEM parts I've bought have been from Partzilla.  The prices are good.  You can limit the amount you spend in shipping by waiting until you can get most everything you need instead of making many small purchases.

Daeouse

Quote from: lucas on March 29, 2016, 07:48:29 AM
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Suzuki/Motorcycle/1991/GS500ET/FUEL+TANK+%28MODEL+K-L%29/parts.html

So far nearly all the OEM parts I've bought have been from Partzilla.  The prices are good.  You can limit the amount you spend in shipping by waiting until you can get most everything you need instead of making many small purchases.

Thanks, man! I've never used them before, so hearing good things about them is encouraging. I'll look into them and see what they've got! :thumb: :cool:
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

ShowBizWolf

lucas is SO right about shipping... it's best to wait until you have a whole list of parts ya need. I've done that before!!

I can't say I've ever gotten anything from partzilla but I have heard good things about them!! My normal spot for OEM is motosport.com... they usually have 20% off OEM stuff and any chance I get to save money, I'm all over it lol

Daeouse

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on March 29, 2016, 10:38:12 AM
lucas is SO right about shipping... it's best to wait until you have a whole list of parts ya need. I've done that before!!

I can't say I've ever gotten anything from partzilla but I have heard good things about them!! My normal spot for OEM is motosport.com... they usually have 20% off OEM stuff and any chance I get to save money, I'm all over it lol

Definitely for saving money! The total for the parts needed is about $20. . .
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

Daeouse

HA! The new ignition switch, tank lock, and seat lock combo came in!!!
Its been installed!!!  :woohoo:

Now to finish wiring. . .  :2guns:

Then brakes. . .  :technical:
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

lucas

Daeouse

Quote from: lucas on April 13, 2016, 09:45:51 PM
It's so shiny!

That's the color I want to paint the frame and such parts. :)
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk