Can you put a 2004+ oil cooler on an 89?

Started by EdE, May 13, 2011, 09:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdE

I don't know that much about interchangebility between the years yet. Can you put a 2004+ oil cooler on an 89 and what's it take? Ed

Big Rich

I believe the cases are actually different just for the oil cooler. Maybe a fitting or a drain channel for the oil flow? Somebody else will give you a more detailed response.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

burning1

My recollection is that the oil pan is different. I'd like to install a cooler on my race bike at some point, but have not looked into it in depth. You may be able to install one by attaching it to the oil galleys, but it's important to consider that if you're relying on the stock oil pump to move oil through the cooler, the return must be fed through some kind of restriction in order to keep the oil pressure at safe levels. If you want to rig up an electronic oil pump to move oil through the system, you could probably just attach a generic cooler to the bike and feed/drain to the oil pan.

I say all this based on my basic mechanical understanding. There could be issues I haven't considered using this approach.

werase643

start looking for a vintage GS1000 ish lockhart-phillips oil cooler kit  it should replace the oil filter cover

oil cooler ain't that important on these bikes
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

tb0lt

You will need the F oil pan and cooler.

EdE

So the cases are the same and All I need is the oil pan (the plate at the very bottom), the oil lines and the oil cooler?  Ed

The Buddha

Quote from: EdE on June 01, 2011, 11:27:38 AM
So the cases are the same and All I need is the oil pan (the plate at the very bottom), the oil lines and the oil cooler?  Ed

No cases on the 04+ are different.
Cool.
buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk