News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Adriel's GS

Started by cc2, August 27, 2013, 12:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc2

Since she hasn't yet created her own log in, I'm starting this thread since "Pix, or it didn't happen."  Thanks to Patrick and everyone who made me feel welcome on Saturday, even though I didn't bring a GS to the party.

Here's some starter pictures.  According to the VIN, it's a '96.  Those are '83 and '84 (under the cover) Nighthawks in the background.

[attachment deleted by admin]

cc2

Thanks to the parts at the Seattle Bike Cave, I was able to replace the missing High Beam Indicator cover, as well as swap all the instrument lights to LEDs.  I also swapped the chain guard and reinstalled the side stand safety.

steezin_and_wheezin

if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

Gorilla

hells yeah man and on another note..

people are gonna confuse our names soon i bet

I am ariel

you Adriel

yowza lol
Ride with the people you love in mind.

I'll never forget ya Patrick!
(My Bike!) http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=64409.0

-West Seattle GS500 club member

cc2

I was at Aurora Suzuki picking up some parts and saw this pretty bike sitting outside.  Perhaps it's one of ours?  Question I have is:  what's the front brake conversion that's happened there?  It looks like steel braided stock calipers, but there's a new spacer in there with what looks like a sparkly new disk.

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

mustangGT90210

Looks like a GSXR/other supersport caliper... Nice!
'93 GS - Clubmans - '04 tank/seat - Custom "slip" on - Airtech fender - Drag Specialties speedometer - GSXR drag bike grips - GSXR pegs - Lunchbox - Re-jet - Sold!

-94 GSX-R 750 - Sold

-02 SV650 - Crashed, sold for parts

-96 Bandit 600 - Sold

-93 Intruder 800 - bobbed out basket case,new project

cc2

Been looking at Lock Sets on ebay since the cap on the gas tank needs some help (non replaceable pieces), and the ignition switch is pretty worn.  Are the the pieces the same between all the GS's?  I.e. -- will the 2008 pieces fit on a '96?  I'm guessing the seat lock will require some fiddling if it's from an F instead of E, but other than that?

cc2

Got some fork braces from Chuck yesterday!

jacob92icu

Nice man! Glad to see you are still working on the ol' trusty gs.

I ended up picking up a 600rr btw, you should come over to Patricks again sometime, maybe when we make it out to vashon this year!

What other plans you have for the GS?
I am into buying bikes that people have given up on and fixing them up!

RIP Patrick Lajko, I miss you man.

cc2

Just wanted to stop by and say that the fork brace is absolutely awesome.  I also installed speed bleeders on the calipers (best money you'll spend, btw, you'll want 7100S) along with sintered EBC pads.  Much more stable, and the brakes are awesome.

cc2

So, I noticed the idle decaying today when I was out riding the GS.  Did some looking in the FAQ section, and found the part about "both carbs leaking fuel" after I shut it off and saw fuel draining out of the air box (which was definitely wet inside with the air filter removed).

Took the tank off to get to the breather tube, discovered that the PO removed it, though the T fitting is still there.  Air blown through it makes both carbs drain into the airbox, pretty evenly.  With the gas tank removed, the idle was fine with what fuel was left in the carbs.  Connected everything up, and left the air filter off so I could see what happened with the fuel flow back on.  The right side carb leaks into the air box, but the left side doesn't (completely dry, in fact).  Bike runs fine with throttle, it's just idle that's a mess.  I'm guessing the two little holes on the bottom of the carb are the idle circuit?  Before I go and take the carbs off, am I likely correct that the float on that side is sticking or busted?   Is there anything else it could be?

If I'm going to take the carbs off and do work on them, I'll probably rejet them and put a lunchbox on them instead, so maybe this is just the excuse I need, but I'd like to solve the problem the first time.

The Buddha

Your float probably is drifted too high, or the O ring in the seat is shot.
And K&N without pipe is hard to jet, and K&N also causes more engine wear.
I'd set your carbs right and use the paper filter and air box - you can clean the filter in gas, blow it out with compressed air if you have that and reuse it a few times.
Cool.
buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

cc2

The O ring that's on the float?  I currently have a K&N in the stock airbox (with the restrictor baffle for stock jetting).  Why does it cause more engine wear?  Just the richer state of tune?

I've noticed the rebuild kits have the float needle and a bunch of rubber bits, but no floats (which are available separately for about $38 each).  Any reason those would fail under normal use?

wakey86

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk