News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

Looking goooood Shep.  I don't see the temp gauge you were talking about.  Did you drop that idea?  Do you ever get asked about it with confused looks?  Really looks nice.  It makes my day, everytime I see it.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on January 24, 2012, 08:54:16 AM
Looking goooood Shep.  I don't see the temp gauge you were talking about.  Did you drop that idea?  Do you ever get asked about it with confused looks?  Really looks nice.  It makes my day, everytime I see it.
The temp gauge is inside the tacho housing, you can see it almost covering the number 3 on the scale (and the needle is shortened, so it doesn't get in swordfight with tacho needle).  :icon_mrgreen:
Well... the people who know GS' notice the difference straight away, and the others think it's just another inline four.

Quote from: Phil B on January 24, 2012, 08:53:56 AM
You shoulda changed the tail markings to read, "GS600" ;)

This way it's more interesting when some squid launches off traffic light, just to be surprised I'm right next to him.
Hm, that would make me a squid too?  :cookoo:
:icon_mrgreen:

Anyway, the tail should be repainted one of these days, so I'll figure some new style markings, to be in sync with tank.  :thumb:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Phil B

Quote from: Shepa on January 24, 2012, 08:58:52 AM
This way it's more interesting when some squid launches off traffic light, just to be surprised I'm right next to him.
Hm, that would make me a squid too?  :cookoo:
:icon_mrgreen:

Anyway, the tail should be repainted one of these days, so I'll figure some new style markings, to be in sync with tank.  :thumb:

Go for maximum confusion: label it a "GSY 600":  a GSX with a part or two missing :D

cbrfxr67

http://youtu.be/prCVg7itdpc

Posted this on redge's muffler thread too.  Been procrastinating doing the video since my fuel delivery problem has been ongoing.  Tonight I finally got all the pinholes welded up in my tank and called it a day.  Massive frustration working on my tank as I couldn't get the bung welded in and had to cut it out and rethink how to do it.  Ended up using a bolt, welded it to a small piece of steel, then drilled through the shank.  Common hose fitting screws on to the threaded side and I ground off the inner top part of the bolt even.  Welded the whole thing in place of first bung and turned out ok.  pita to say the least.
After that, did quick video.  I hadn't run the bike in about two weeks, maybe longer so it puttered more than usual on start up.  Then cleaned up and called it a day.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on January 27, 2012, 07:55:41 PM
http://youtu.be/prCVg7itdpc

Posted this on redge's muffler thread too.  Been procrastinating doing the video since my fuel delivery problem has been ongoing.  Tonight I finally got all the pinholes welded up in my tank and called it a day.  Massive frustration working on my tank as I couldn't get the bung welded in and had to cut it out and rethink how to do it.  Ended up using a bolt, welded it to a small piece of steel, then drilled through the shank.  Common hose fitting screws on to the threaded side and I ground off the inner top part of the bolt even.  Welded the whole thing in place of first bung and turned out ok.  pita to say the least.
After that, did quick video.  I hadn't run the bike in about two weeks, maybe longer so it puttered more than usual on start up.  Then cleaned up and called it a day.

When the time comes to shoehorn some off the wall motor into my gs's carcass I'm making you come on a trip to Florida.

cbrfxr67

Sweeee-eeet Florida is the bike capital of the US right???!  Rockin!  But xune your GS is too nice to cut and paste an i4 into it!  Well at least until your twin can't take anymore.

Today messed around with the tank somemore and fiddled with gauges and how I want them to sit.  I want it to be something different up front.  That's why I chose that XL light.  Going to work on getting gauges set, then fab up something to tie it together.
-buddha

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on January 29, 2012, 09:16:30 PM
Sweeee-eeet Florida is the bike capital of the US right???!  Rockin!  But xune your GS is too nice to cut and paste an i4 into it!  Well at least until your twin can't take anymore.

Today messed around with the tank somemore and fiddled with gauges and how I want them to sit.  I want it to be something different up front.  That's why I chose that XL light.  Going to work on getting gauges set, then fab up something to tie it together.

Yea, I think it is.

Post up some pics, and I'll give you my 2 cents if its wanted! Extra points for videos.

I'm thinking about buying a cheap totaled 600 bandit, and using that. I can make the rear swinger work, the i4 isn't too powerful, and I would wind up using its whole engine harness and making it work.

I'm a god with a solder iron and too much time.

Shepa

Quote from: xunedeinx on January 30, 2012, 06:45:48 AM
I'm thinking about buying a cheap totaled 600 bandit, and using that. I can make the rear swinger work, the i4 isn't too powerful, and I would wind up using its whole engine harness and making it work.

My 2 cents: Suzuki oil/air cooled (Bandit, Katana and similar i4's) engines are waaaay too big for GS frame (no way to put them in, at least  not without cutting the whole frame to pieces).
I've checked that before finding out cbrfxr67's project as a guide line.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

xunedeinx

Quote from: Shepa on January 30, 2012, 07:49:28 AM
Quote from: xunedeinx on January 30, 2012, 06:45:48 AM

My 2 cents: Suzuki oil/air cooled (Bandit, Katana and similar i4's) engines are waaaay too big for GS frame (no way to put them in, at least without cutting the whole frame to pieces).
I've checked that before finding out cbrfxr67 project as a guide line.

Oh, good info!

Is the 600cbr the only that will fit, or are there other small sized i4 600's?

How about the speed triple in the triumph?

cbrfxr67

I still vote GSXR1000 fi.  Tiny little engine with big power!
-buddha

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on January 30, 2012, 08:05:08 AM
I still vote GSXR1000 fi.  Tiny little engine with big power!

Eh, I only want enough powah to do 2 up with my wife comfortably. Its more the torque than the HP, honestly.

If a FI triple could fit, I'd be heaven.

xunedeinx

BTW, dimensions of my friends tripumh triple 955i are, in inches:

15w (from side to side, 12l (from front to back), and 16h (from bottom to top.

Measurements are approximate cause the fairings are still on, but its info none the less.

cbrfxr67

Make some new brackets, weld them on or bolt in where they'll fit right and G-O!  I wonder how much a 955i engine is going for on cl or ebay,.....hmmmm,...
Tonight worked on gauge bracket.  Was a little tired from work and neighbor wanted me to help him with his F150 coils, so didn't get as much done as I wanted. :technical:
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Last night made a bracket on the tail and mounted my little vacuum operated fuel pump.  Ran my copper line down the tail to vacuum assist on number one and connected in my manual shut off.  Messed around with tank locating and called it a day.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Funny how the more you do, the less feeling of accomplishment you get.  Worked on brackets for gauge pod and finished that; nice and solid.  Worked more on the pita tank, getting mounting points to frame done.  That was it.  Feels like I didn't do squat yesterday.  A year ago I probably would have felt great like I'd really done something.  Now I just feel like I need to hurry up already.
>:(
-buddha

xunedeinx

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on February 06, 2012, 09:34:32 AM
Funny how the more you do, the less feeling of accomplishment you get.  Worked on brackets for gauge pod and finished that; nice and solid.  Worked more on the pita tank, getting mounting points to frame done.  That was it.  Feels like I didn't do squat yesterday.  A year ago I probably would have felt great like I'd really done something.  Now I just feel like I need to hurry up already.
>:(

If you dont want it, drop it off in my living room!

xunedeinx

I have an idea....

I been looking at customfighters.com, and saw a pic of a katana naked...

If I got an old katana 750 for dirt cheap, I can gut it, strip out the wireing harness etc.. and, for the most part, the frame is similar to the gs500.

Now, if I get a non-title able gs frame, chop off the hear subframe, and slap it on the katana, and add on a round frong headlight...

Its be a gs500, with a katana engine, and all the mods pre done!

Seems like all the mods we do are - gsx600 shock, front forks, rear wheel, dual brakes....

Am I on to something here? =)

xunedeinx

Phil B

Quote from: xunedeinx on February 09, 2012, 08:21:57 AM
If I got an old katana 750 for dirt cheap, I can gut it, strip out the wireing harness etc.. and, for the most part, the frame is similar to the gs500.
Now, if I get a non-title able gs frame, chop off the hear subframe, and slap it on the katana, and add on a round frong headlight...
Its be a gs500, with a katana engine, and all the mods pre done!

Umm... sounds like you could save yourself even more hassle, if you just bought a katana, took off any fairings, and bolted on a gs500 headlight somehow.
There, done?   :D

xunedeinx

But, the katana rear subframe and tail section is U-G-L-Y!!

Katana + gs500 rear + headlight = gs500 with i4!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk