News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

ShowBizWolf's 1998 GS500E

Started by ShowBizWolf, August 10, 2016, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteGS

Very nice indeed ShowBiz, love your work!!

Those pipes certainly came up well with the polish!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ShowBizWolf

I'm still kinda blown away truthfully... I debated getting less expensive polish... but I was like you know I spent way too much on this exhaust in the beginning... so why not go for something that claims to be specifically for stainless motorcycle exhaust? I want to get some better pictures in the light soon. Hopefully tomorrow!

Thank you to everyone who has been following along !!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

peteGS

Just careful you don't blind yourself from the reflection in the sunshine  :icon_lol:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ShowBizWolf

my eyes!!! my eyyyeessssss  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 8)
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

peteGS

Hahahahahaha

You're making me want to give the 450 some much needed cosmetic TLC... poor thing gets ridden hard every day and put away wet... never gets a wash/polish any more as I'm just too busy riding or working on the Kat...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ShowBizWolf

There's just not enough time Pete, I completely understand what you're saying... that's the case with my van. Ever since my Spirit was rear-ended and I made it into a complete tear-down re-do project, it's been my van for the daily driver... through the winters and salt and abuse. It needs some attention before this winter comes so that's what I have to do on the weekends... and I should have my GS back together soon so I'll be able to ride that again but it's like gah... I need 2 more of me!!

ShowBizWolf

Hope to be working more on stuff and put everything back together next week maybe... we'll see  :icon_razz:

peteGS

Oooooh so shiny!!!!

I don't think the world would cope with even one more of me somehow...  :icon_lol:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ShowBizWolf

Lmao my dad got me a birthday card this year that said something like that on it...
"Daughter, there is only one you..." and then inside it says, "But that's okay. One is all I can handle."  :laugh:

Figured I would post an update and maybe get some pictures tomorrow. Been working on the bike as much as I can, hope to put it back together this weekend or next week some time but I keep doing more and more while it's in its current state lol !!

I decided to attach the LED strips with velcro instead of just the sticky back adhesive they came with. If one of them stops working or whatever, they will be easier to remove/replace that way. Got the velcro, cut the LED strips to size, decided where I want them, cut the velcro to match the lengths of the strips and the switch came in the mail so yay for all that. I'm not going to attach them until I'm done cleaning every bit of the bike I can reach and also get done touching up the frame.

I wet sanded and then buffed the front fender... was my first attempt at wet sanding/buffing anything believe it or not. I was happy with the results so I decided to buff my tank too. Very shiny now.

Buffed the tail plastics a bit:

I want to clean as much of the bike as I can, in places I normally haven't been able to reach without taking things apart so I took the heel guards off... they had some light surface rust on the back... so I polished one of them... came out pretty nice! I'll do the other one, clean them both and then hit 'em with some paint. Doesn't matter terribly because this is the side facing inside the bike. The part you see is still nice and shiny thankfully.

Still waiting on the Bandit hugger I ordered online. Sucks because the listing was in the UK... so I had it sent to my friend in Scotland... he said he'd be glad to send it to me for less than the seller wanted for shipping to the USA... but he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get it in the mail  :technical:

SO tomorrow before work I'd like to clean the chain guard since it looks like it will be going back on until I get the hugger... polish, clean and paint the heel guards.

peteGS

Yes, pic's are a must!!!!  :D

Good idea to clean stuff up you can't normally get to, that will make a huge difference once you get it back together. There are plenty of places on mine that will just be forever filthy I think...

Wet sanding the paint does help a lot, I had to do that when I painted the 450. I was a bit paranoid so probably didn't sand back quite enough and there are still some spots of orange peel around the place as a result. I'll know better for next time...

Can't wait to see your 500 back together, and tell your friend to hurry up!!!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ShowBizWolf

Ugh I know right?? He said he would get it in the mail last week but then he sliced his foot open when he stepped on some glass... couldn't drive... I was like hmm you can't get a ride to the shipping place? But I'm not the pushy type so... I asked him about it this week and he said he should be able to get to it. *sigh* I'll give it until next Thursday... which will be a month since he got it in the mail. And if he doesn't have it sent out by then, then I will get a bit more like hey... wtf get your sh*t together... haha I'm sooooo not good at that sometimes  :icon_rolleyes:

Worst comes to worst I'll end up having to cut my losses (it was $42) and buy another one... and pay like $70 to have it shipped to me but at least then I'll know I'll get the darn thing. But that will have to wait until I have the money... next thing I have to buy are two tires for the Turtle Van and front brakes... wanna do that by the end of the month :vroom vroom:

Janx101

I've been counting Biz. .. so far I'm up to 5 ... you need 5 more of you to smash thru your project list! Bahahaha. ..

You have the touch though! ... I'd be throwing polish rags and tools against the wall way before I had half or even a quarter of your 'finished job quality' done!

If it's building a chook run or guinea pig cage from 'spare' timber and iron though. . I'm the guy! ...

I never admit to friends that I know retaining wall and paving paths though! ... they get the wrong idea about things! ;) lol

ShowBizWolf

@ Janx... 5 of me would certainly be enough lmao... one for my car, one for my van, one for my house, one for the bike and one to go to work! Oh oh but you did say 5 *more* of me... yay that means the real me can relax and watch tv   ;)  Thank you for the compliments on my patience. The younger me never used to have any so I'm super glad I've developed some as the years go by.

Finally an update with pictures. Worked on the bike this past weekend so yay for that! Mainly just concentrated more on cleaning and touching up the frame and then got into wiring up those LED strips for the purple and green underglow. The 8 total strips cost me around $10 from ebay. They are sticky-backed and I decided to attach them to the bike with velcro strips. If a strip dies on me I can replace it easy peasy. Picture of right after I finished the 4 green strips for the back half of the bike:

Purple done then too:

This is a pic to show the switch on the bars and a little bit of where I ran the wires... the extra loom with the purple zip ties near the fork tube, etc.

I was originally going to have two purple strips on the nose fairing but decided to make it much simpler and attach one strip under the headlight:

Cleaned up and battery box back in with stainless bolts etc.

That's about it for now in regards to pics... I do have the battery hooked back up atm and I also repaired a crack in one of the tail plastics... hopefully will have it back together on Thursday (took a day off work weeeeee lol) and be able to ride. Still waiting for that hugger though... maybe this week he'll send it out. Fingers crossed !!

The fink

Looks really cool Biz, you have great attention to details that I don't see in a lot of peoples posts. Great job  :thumb:
Be who YOU are, and say what YOU feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

peteGS

Awesome work as always ShowBiz, keen to see it all done and back on the road!!  :thumb:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ShowBizWolf

Thanks so much fink and pete!! Details are something I'm very in tune with in just about everything I do... it gets a bit overwhelming at times, not gonna lie  :icon_rolleyes:

Bike is back together woot toot!! Finished it up after work last night, went to bed finally around 5am. Was a bit miffed though, the stainless exhaust bolts were too short... had an oh sh*t moment cuz I thought I stripped one but everything worked out OK. Idk if they would work if I still had the stock exhaust  :icon_question: But oh well... I put in the old ones for now.

Only thing I didn't have is a new cotter pin for the front wheel grrr... have to get one from my dad's shop. Oh and I'm still waiting on the hugger so... yeah... but when I do get it, I'll do a detailed post about what exactly I do because the few posts I have found on the forum here don't really show a lot about what needs to be done to the Bandit hugger to make it fit. Hoping it'll look nicer than the others since I have a bigger rear tire.

peteGS

Wahooo! But no pic's?? Come on now that's just slack  :icon_razz: :flipoff:

Kidding... Great work!!!  :D
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ShowBizWolf

LOL I know right?? Haha wtf is up with THAT lmao  :icon_mrgreen:

I did take some AND uploaded them to facebook before work but then ran outta time. I will post them up tonight when I have some down time  :D  :D  :D

ShowBizWolf

Back together:

Didn't do anything with the nose fairing and windscreen yet... that'll be a project for after I get the Turtle Van ready for the winter.

Big Rich

Looking good Biz!

Forgot to add: that second pic above (with the bike on the center stand), do you have any kind of anchor point in your garage? Whenever I'm working on a front end like that, I tie a ratchet strap to the rear grab rail and pull it to a solid anchor point so the back wheel touches the ground. Still use a jack like you are, but it makes the bike sturdier when spinning wrenches.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk