Author Topic: ShowBizWolf's '98 GS  (Read 20176 times)

Offline alpo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Re: ShowBizWolf's '98 GS
« Reply #420 on: May 03, 2018, 10:30:55 PM »
Woot!  :cheers:

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #421 on: May 17, 2018, 07:36:43 PM »
then what

errr,... happened?
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
Hahaha cbr :laugh:

I got the O-rings in the mail last week and I'm still waiting for the fork tubes. The tracking says estimated arrival should be by May 29th! :woohoo:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #423 on: June 05, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »
Finally... time to build some forks.

After that pic I wanted to put everything in order... just cuz lol

Also... as Suzi Q stated in regards to the OEM adjustable fork caps, they need something to "push" on... I'm thinking for my bike I'll use ShowBiz Pizza tokens :icon_mrgreen: not the super rare ones in my collection, of course... just the regular ones ;)

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #424 on: June 05, 2018, 07:31:19 PM »
Ah good stuff ShowBiz! Looks like you're all set to go there  :thumb:

They're somewhat similar to the Kat forks with the preload adjusters up top too (assuming that's what they are).
'82 GS450E

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #425 on: June 11, 2018, 05:04:53 PM »
It's been like two weeks show! :dunno_black:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #426 on: June 11, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »
It has not!! Only one week lol...  :flipoff:

I was working a long stretch and I'm finally off today. Hope to start working on them this evening.

I also have plans to go to my dad's garage later in the week and finally try out the SV650 shock I bought months ago. I also wanna try out the stock shock with the raising links. Get a feel for the differences and then pick what I like the most.

It will be nice to get some more pics and progress happening in my thread!

Offline ajensen

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #427 on: June 13, 2018, 09:56:10 PM »
You are the best. I always look forward to your posts.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #428 on: June 13, 2018, 10:49:47 PM »
You make me smile!! Thank you so much :kiss3: :icon_mrgreen:

I successfully built my forks :woohoo:

Here's how I started on Monday:

There was a recent thread about how when changing the fork seals, the Service Manual also mentions the bushings and the sliders. Here's a pic I took to show a comparison. On the left is one of my old bent fork tubes with a worn slider. On the right is a new tube with a new slider. The book says if the black Teflon coating is scratched or worn off to show the copper base material on 3/4 of the surface area, replace them. I bought new parts anyways because I wasn't sure what my new tubes were going to include.

Picture of a worn bushing on the left and a new one on the right.

When trying to slide one of the new fork tubes into the lower, it was really tight... even after coating the slider and the lower with fork oil. I noticed that the slider on one of the tubes had quite the gap (the new tubes DID come with sliders, already on the tubes). I removed it and replaced it with a new OEM Suzuki one. On the left is the one with the gap, on the right is the new OEM one.

ALSO... I did want to mention two things:
1) The Clymer book says to drive the slider into the fork lower with the Suzuki tool (or the PVC pipe)... then slide the oil seal retainer down and then the oil seal and then drive the seal in.
The YouTube vids don't show this... neither do the write ups on the beer garage, threads in the FAQ section on here, etc. I felt better about doing it by the book. But that isn't always better....

2) The Clymer book also says, "Position the oil seal with its open groove facing upward..." ... which, to me (and other people so I found) means the spring side UP. This just didn't seem right though, so I hopped on the internet and found (according to this thread) that the book is wrong. When I looked closer at the pictures in the book, it shows the oil seal being installed with the open groove and spring side down. Crazy!
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=22241.0

Monday night I got to the point where the next thing I had to do was cut the spacers... but I was hungry and I figured I'd give it a rest for a bit.

Tuesday I did get the spacers cut. After following the Sonic Springs instructions, I ended up cutting my spacers to 115.5mm / 4 9/16" ... I really feel good about buying the adjustable fork caps. With them set in the middle, I have 3/4" of preload.

Today I added the fork oil, set the air gap to 120mm, dropped the new .75 Sonic Springs in, then the little washer, then the spacers, then 2 ShowBiz tokens and wound in the caps.

When I was adding the fork oil and getting out the air pockets (like in the youtube vid), the fork I had the slider trouble with felt a little bit tighter than the other one still. I hope it will be OK.

It feels really good to have these finally built. I am going to make an appointment with my bike inspection mechanic soon so when I put these new forks on, he can put the new inspection sticker on them (cuz in PA, Idk about other places, that's where the sticker goes is on the fork lowers).

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #429 on: June 14, 2018, 02:31:39 PM »
I feel so floaty seeing your progress

rockin show!
-buddha

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #430 on: June 15, 2018, 08:50:25 PM »
 :woohoo: nice work ShowBiz!!!

I have found several errors in Clymers before, and in fact when building my 450 I stripped two threads due to incorrect (much higher) torque spec's being listed.

That's a somewhat critical error when it comes to torquing bolts in to an alloy engine! Luckily both were able to be fixed with helicoil inserts.

I never rely on Haynes or Clymer manuals now, only ever on the true facts in genuine manuals, as I'm not the first to report similar errors.

I still do use them for process tips and photos though, as they definitely have useful photos in there that the factory manuals sometimes miss.
'82 GS450E

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #431 on: June 15, 2018, 10:16:35 PM »
Well I snapped off two bolts tightening the side covers to factory service manual specs. At least it didn't screw up the case. Both bolts came right out once I got a vise grip on them, but it was still a lot of work and I had to buy new bolts.

Offline Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #432 on: June 16, 2018, 07:37:29 AM »
Wait..... you get your bike inspected? Haha....

Good work Biz.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #433 on: June 20, 2018, 05:54:26 AM »
Hahaha Rich, you're not the first to say that to me about the inspection :laugh:  :laugh:  Thank you for checking out my update and I'm glad to see you're still around!

Thanks Pete!! Having learned from my dad over the years about the errors in Chilton's manuals when it comes to cars and trucks etc, you'd think I'd expect the same from motorcycle service books too :icon_rolleyes: TBH I didn't... but I'm glad something told me, "This doesn't seem right..." when I was working on the forks.

I spent time over this past weekend modifying the SV650 shock I bought last year to fit my bike. It was a fun little project! I removed the raising links and re-installed the stock dogbones with the SV shock.

Here's what I did to the shock (I also added this to the wiki):

A picture of it installed on my bike after the drilling and trimming off the original holes:

I then did a walk-around of the bike... and I'm glad I did. I knew I'd have to adjust the chain accordingly... but I didn't know that the center stand would now be resting on the suspension linkage and not on the rubber stop attached to the exhaust :icon_eek:

The fancy-pants full stainless exhaust's center stand stop (that I purchased for my bike back in 2012) never did match up perfectly with the center stand foot... and after this shock swap, that problem got magnified. I trimmed the metal bracket so it was far enough away from the rear tire, re-drilled the hole for the rubber stop and then fabbed up a longer stop out of thick fuel hose. I did think about removing the center stand completely... since with the added height, it wouldn't do much at all anymore. However, I knew I'd still want it there... and simply sliding a piece of wood under the center stand legs would make it useful again for chain maintenance etc... so I did what I could to keep it.

After I felt confident that everything would be OK now, I rode the bike home from my dad's garage that evening to see if I liked it... and if I could get used to the extra height. I did :thumb: So the next day, I decided to remove the shock, prime and paint the newly exposed metal on the lower mount.

Re-installed and looking nice:

The new lean angle is pretty crazy... but I've so far found no need to modify the stock side stand or purchase and adjustable one.

Here's a before and after picture to show a comparison. The top picture is from 2015, all rear suspension stock. The bottom picture is now (stock dogbones and modified SV shock):

Now... onto installing the front forks I just built last week... :D :cheers:

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #434 on: June 20, 2018, 01:55:31 PM »
Love how it looks in that last pic show!  Need an update picture to the hawt bikes thread now! :icon_razz:

really good info.  You made it so easy that I can get my 15 year old nephew to look at your post and do my shock for me.  Ok maybe not but thanks for GREAT pics and how to! :bowdown:
-buddha

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #435 on: June 20, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
That's a lot of lean!! Much more than my bike with the kat600 shock, which seemed to add about an inch of static height.

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #436 on: June 20, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »
Showbiz, be careful where you park your bike with a sidestand angle like that. I know it stays up fine on level ground, but if you park that on sloped pavement or even level asphalt on a hot day, your bike is at a very high risk of falling or being knocked over.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #437 on: June 20, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
THANKS, cbr!! I tried to 'show' (haha) the information that was missing or left me wondering after reading threads and the wiki. Agreed, I need some updated pics. I think I'll do that after I put the forks on 8)

I totally hear ya mr72... it kinda scared me tbh when I first took the bike off the stand and leaned it over. I've gotten used to it now and hey, it'll build a bit of arm muscles :laugh:

qc you make an excellent point. There may come a time where I'm updating my thread, talking about a new kickstand. ;)
That being said, I actually wanted the increased lean angle. Compensating for angled/steep/uneven parking surfaces is something every motorcycle rider has to do... but I learned it the hard way lol.
Probably about 5 years ago one morning I was going to church and I parked. The upper lot is built on a hill so it's pretty steep. I got about 10 steps away from my bike and I heard it fall over. :oops: :oops: :oops: Thankfully this was back when the bike still was pretty rashed and rough but still... very embarassing for sure... and I learned how easily it can happen.

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #438 on: June 20, 2018, 07:38:39 PM »
They repaved part of the parking lot at my job last year and gave us a designated "cycle parking" area. So, naturally we all started parking there. On the first really hot day, my co-worker and I walked out to find our kickstands had sunk about an inch or so into the pavement. Luckily neither bike had fallen over, but it made me nervous lol. Another co-worker who also rides brought in a bunch of plywood squares that we now all put our kickstands down on just in case.

Just be aware of the surface you're parking on and you should be fine. Maybe invest in one of those kickstand puck things?

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #439 on: June 20, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »
I am very aware, don'tcha worry. :-* It's great advice, more people should be aware of this kind of thing!

I carry one of those kickstand pucks with me always! Got it for free from my bike inspection mechanic :D