Author Topic: Bought rear disc bolts but they don't look the original. Should I use them?  (Read 107 times)

Offline Toner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
I bought a new rear disc and a new set of new bolts to install the disc.

I could see they were a slightly different design but I thought they'd be the same with just a head that was more flush.
Thought it was unusual they were in a pack of five as the rear disc only takes four bolts but maybe they just give you a spare one...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TITANIUM-REAR-DISC-ROTOR-MOUNT-BOLTS-SCREWS-STAINLESS-SUZUKI-GS500E-1998-2012/400470036001

This what the new one (left) looks like the old one (right)
The thread seems to be the same but the cap is very different. It looks like these would stick out a good bit and will not screw in as far as a result. 

What do you think? Should I return them or use them?

If you search for rear disc bolts, they all look like this: 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gs500+rear+disc+bolts&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3

I think they maybe be the bolts for the front disc. Seems rear bolts are hard to come by.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:03:12 PM by Toner »

Offline Meukowi

• Local Club Racer
I'd just take one bolt off and check if the new bolt sits tight, if it does, then just replace them, for real, id just put any bolt i find, If it fits there tight enough, afterall, it's just a bolt

Lähetetty minun HUAWEI CRR-L09 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Offline Jim Knopf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
  • The Outlaw
Servus,

Your new Bolts are for the front, not for the rear!

Offline max

• Local Club Racer
I agree with Jim, they're bolts for the front.

You won't even be able to use them for the rear. You can see that the longer collar of the front disc's bolts will cause the threads to bottom out before the head applies any clamping pressure to the rear disc.

0910608131 is the Suzuki part number for the rear bolts. Seems like you're in the UK too, I usually order my parts online from MSP - https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/2006-gs500ef-motorcycles/rear-wheel (remember to order 4 of them!)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:15:46 PM by max »

Offline gregjet

• AMA Superbike Racer
Front holes are 10mm , rear are 8mm. Those bolts won't fit in the rear disc holes. Even if they did you would have to drill the disc holes( DIFFICULT, but not impossible with the right bits) and make spacers to go under the head. They would fit between the disc and the swingarm but only just. The threads seem to be about right length.

More to the point why would you put Ti bolts in a non race bike. Ti bolts are weaker than the Hi Ten bolts used for the brakes. They then to gall as well ( not so bad in Aluminium). You would also have 3 dissimilar metals all contacting each other and increase the chances of corrosion.

Offline Toner

• Formula Extreme Racer
Front holes are 10mm , rear are 8mm. Those bolts won't fit in the rear disc holes. Even if they did you would have to drill the disc holes( DIFFICULT, but not impossible with the right bits) and make spacers to go under the head. They would fit between the disc and the swingarm but only just. The threads seem to be about right length.

More to the point why would you put Ti bolts in a non race bike. Ti bolts are weaker than the Hi Ten bolts used for the brakes. They then to gall as well ( not so bad in Aluminium). You would also have 3 dissimilar metals all contacting each other and increase the chances of corrosion.

Didn't know that. TI is all I could find on ebay or anywhere.
Welp, guess I'll just re-use the old bolts for now.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:26:06 PM by Toner »

Offline Toner

• Formula Extreme Racer

You won't even be able to use them for the rear. You can see that the longer collar of the front disc's bolts will cause the threads to bottom out before the head applies any clamping pressure to the rear disc.

0910608131 is the Suzuki part number for the rear bolts. Seems like you're in the UK too, I usually order my parts online from MSP - https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/2006-gs500ef-motorcycles/rear-wheel (remember to order 4 of them!)

Cheers, just ordered a load of parts from them. Took about two weeks though. Costly too. €15 for shipping.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:28:22 PM by Toner »

Offline max

• Local Club Racer

Cheers, just ordered a load of parts from them. Took about two weeks though. Costly too. €15 for shipping.

Yeah I've also found that if they have to backorder the parts they can take stupidly long to arrive.

I'm guessing my assumption of you being the in the UK based on your .co.uk link was wrong then, as I've only ever paid ~£6 for shipping? Not sure whether CMSNL are any better for EU shipping instead?

Ideally can't you order them from a local Suzuki dealer?

Offline Toner

• Formula Extreme Racer

I'm in Ireland but I order most stuff from the UK. Though that website was based in Holland so I was surprised by the shipping charge difference. Guess they have a UK base too.

Yeah I've also found that if they have to backorder the parts they can take stupidly long to arrive.

I'm guessing my assumption of you being the in the UK based on your .co.uk link was wrong then, as I've only ever paid ~£6 for shipping? Not sure whether CMSNL are any better for EU shipping instead?

Ideally can't you order them from a local Suzuki dealer?

Offline Toner

• Formula Extreme Racer
Guys, I'm cleaning out the old thread lock in the thread bore with a tap and it would appear to be an M8 1.25 size but it feels a little off. 
I can't find a reference to the thread size anywhere for these bolts. 
Anyone know if that is that size?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:16:14 PM by Toner »

Offline max

• Local Club Racer
Guys, I'm cleaning out the old thread lock in the thread bore with a tap and it would appear to be an M8 1.24 size but it feels a little off. 

I'm not personally sure of the size, but if it's an M8 like you and Greg said then it's likely to be a 1.25 or 1mm pitch.

You can measure the old bolt's threads to calculate the pitch:
  • Count the number of threads between 2 chosen thread crests
  • Measure the distance between those same crests using a caliper
  • The total length between the crests divided by the number of threads counted will give you the pitch (again, likely to be a number close to 1.25 or 1)

If you're going to calculate the pitch then do it with as many full threads as possible to minimise any inaccuracies.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:37:34 PM by max »

Offline Toner

• Formula Extreme Racer
Guys, I'm cleaning out the old thread lock in the thread bore with a tap and it would appear to be an M8 1.24 size but it feels a little off. 

I'm not personally sure of the size, but if it's an M8 like you and Greg said then it's likely to be a 1.25 or 1mm pitch.

You can measure the old bolt's threads to calculate the pitch:
  • Count the number of threads between 2 chosen thread crests
  • Measure the distance between those same crests using a caliper
  • The total length between the crests divided by the number of threads counted will give you the pitch (again, likely to be a number close to 1.25 or 1)

If you're going to calculate the pitch then do it with as many full threads as possible to minimise any inaccuracies.

Brilliant, thanks a lot.

Offline gregjet

• AMA Superbike Racer
Thye ones on the 05 ( mine) are 8 x 1.25.
The actual threads on the bolts you bought are the same ( 8 x1.25) I counted them. BUT the shank is 10mm. That means that it is POSSIBLE to turn down shank to 8mm but turning Ti without experience is NOT RECOMMENDED. It is a bastard of a material.