News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Leaking gas

Started by joekool4, December 14, 2015, 06:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joekool4

A buddy.of mine bought an 06 gs500 for 1600. Plastics not included. So he bought a street fighter headlight and I installed it for him. About three months later he moved away and left the bike in storage, didn't want to spend the money for the fluid additives to store it correctly. He's been back for about 6 months, no problems with the bike other than a rusty chain and a dry rotten fuel line. One day he calls me as he's leaving work. It's leaking gas and won't start. Starter isn't spinning. Had it towed back to my place. Replaced the starter. Drained the airbox of fuel. Changed the oil. Fired up no problem. Shut off the gas at the tank(since there is no off position on the pump). Told him he needed new tires(bald and cracking) and a new chain (rusty and kinked old one). I don't have time to tear into the carbs. But my thought to avoid the leaking gas is inline valves. Until such a time that I can clean the carbs and/or he sells it. Is there any reason the pump could've caused the carbs to flood? Or would it just be the float or needles.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

lucas

Hey, you mention a pump but there is no fuel pump on the gs500.  You might be referring to the frame mounted fuel petcock (valve).  This is the valve thing in the left side of the bike.

This is a vacuum operated fuel valve so it is only supposed to deliver fuel while the engine is running.  Putting the petcock to prime "PRI" will bypass the vacuum and allow fuel to flow to the carbs while off.

Two things need to happen to flood the carbs.  Fuel has to be flowing through the petcock and that means the petcock either needs to be replaced or it needs to be left in the  ON or RES positions, not PRI.  Second the float valves have to let fuel leak by even when the float bowls are full.  If you have a functioning fuel petcock then (I believe) you probably don't need to worry about the float needles. 

If your buddy has been leaving the valve in PRI then try setting it to ON and see if that stops the leaking.  If it still leaks replacing the petcock is easy. 

joekool4

Thanks. I figured it was vacuum operated pump, like on some lawn mowers. I'll have him try the on position. So now my question is ...is that frame mounted thing rebuildable?

joekool4

I've seen some other guys on here delete the petcock. But they also delete the reserve. I just had time to do a quick crude drawing but this is what we planned to do so he can still use the reserve feature.

joekool4

basically the valve closest to the gas tank is always off, unless you need reserve. And the valve closest to the carbs is on when the bike is running and you shut it off when you park. It's his daily and he borrowed my old Honda shadow when I had it apart for tires and chain and sprocket. He doesn't have time for me to overhaul the carbs right now, and I don't have time either.

joekool4

Well it worked. And looks a while lot better than my drawing. He needs the carbs rebuilt but neither of us have the time so this is a cheap work around for now. I know he's been talking about selling it and moving back up north but when that times comes I'll have him get the carbs rebuilt. Or pay me to do so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk