1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shepa

2 Buddha: Yes, yes, and yes, of course.  :thumb:

This was only the provisional mounting, for measuring and placement checking purposes.
The GS frame is significantly lighter/softer than CBR's, so I suppose it wouldn't be the smartest idea to leave it like that.
I've tried pushing the bike down, and I felt it stretching a bit, imagine what it would do when riding, so the front frame is a must.
The engine is going to be fixed at all the mounts possible, and the front frame will be made from thicker pieces of tubing (GS's tubing is like a bad joke, when you cut it and actually see what you're riding).
I have a CBR radiator minus the fan, so I've found one taken off of some Italian scooter, hopefully it'll do for now.
I even considered buying a Hornet 600 radiator (because the CBR's is like 19" LCD size) but they cost a fortune.

2 cbrfxr67: Thanks man! Wish I could say I did all the work myself, but the truth is, I have a very talented friend with years and years of experience in field of machining, welding and all kinds of engineering. I usually come up (on a weekly basis) with a thing or two (I always have some fresh mod ideas about my bike :icon_mrgreen:), and he just looks at me like "you really ARE insane", but in the end he enhances the ideas and modifications with his own vision.
No wonder his nickname is "Tesla".

Right...
As for the airbox issue, the idea (Tesla's  :icon_mrgreen:) is to actually use the GS airbox in it's original position, and construct the 4 plastic (or rubber) intake funnels for each of the carbs.
What can I say, the man's a genius. Sometimes the simplest solutions work the best. My idea was to use the bottom part of the CBR's airbox, stuff it with some filtering material and make some kind of lid with intake openings, but you must agree his even better (that way we'll use the proper air filter).

Here are a few pics from today's work:

Tomorrow the engine's getting out of the frame, everything is going to be welded properly and then repainted. That should be the end of the easy part.
After that, the real stuff begins.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

werase643

I have a spare custom made AL radiator for a 99-03 SV650
increased cooling 40% over stock
made for endurance racing several years ago
brand new never used
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

cbrfxr67

Fantastic work Shepa!  I really like how you made the lower frame rail bend out, clear the exhaust and meet up with the mount on the engine.  Very Nice.  I also like the idea of using the GS' airbox.  I can't wait to see what set up you come up with.  I'm not sure if I'm more excited about seeing your progress or getting more done on mine!! (?!!)
Got in my new 14t cbr front sprocket & 39t rear GS sprocket & my chain plus got my rear cowl which also makes me want to finish up the tail and sew up the undertail as well.  I'm stuck working on my engine/transmission swap this weekend, but maybe I can spare a couple hours for the GS!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

Busy saturday...

A bit of welding...

A bit of grinding...

The artist himself... Tesla!

"Man I'm exhausted..."

OK, let's call it a day, but not before baby's goodnite bath.

ben2go

Shepa.Nice build.Where are you located?What country?
PICS are GONE never TO return.

cbrfxr67

Those rails are pure art Shepa.  I'm really liking those lines.  Can't wait to see more.  :bowdown:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on June 06, 2011, 09:12:28 AMThose rails are pure art Shepa.  I'm really liking those lines.  Can't wait to see more.  :bowdown:
Thanks man! Today nothing special, just prep for tomorrow's painting.

Yeah... I know, those front mounts are different, but that's just for now (don't ask).  :icon_mrgreen:
The original design had a flaw: the engine would be (almost) impossible to unmount, hahaha.

Anyway, how's your project going? Can't wait to see what you're up to next. That RR end is awesome (although a tiny bit agressive on a naked bike, but that's just me). Love your work.
Any progress on airbox? Man, that's gonna be tight, today I thought of something else (stainless steel tubes on a piece of stainless plate bolted to carbs, and then rubber hoses to airbox), but it turns out there's no space under the tank. It's gonna be fiberglass afterall. There's just no other way.

So... post more pictures, dude! Afterall you gave me an idea for a project. I thought of Bandit or Katana engines but they were just too bulky so I just gave up... Then I saw your idea, and that was it...
I would never thought of CBR's engine, so I must thank you again! And what an engine it is... a reliable power plant in such a compact size.
Since there are no geometry changes, I'm pretty sure it will be rideable, only thing that concernes me is a possible front end wobble (happened before), I'll have to find a propper forks, or at least steering damper.

ben2go

Bringing the front up or the rear down will help eliminate the head shake.I can't recall right off what the GS rake is from the factory.35 to 37 degrees maybe?

The Buddha

I thought it was closer to 25 ... a savage is about 33, GS has to be 25 or less.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Shepa

Quote from: ben2go on June 06, 2011, 03:58:43 PM
Bringing the front up or the rear down will help eliminate the head shake.I can't recall right off what the GS rake is from the factory.35 to 37 degrees maybe?
You're right. Come to think of it... I've installed a SV rear shock without cutting/drilling the new mount hole, so the back end of the bike is higher (approx 4-5 cm) than factory settings. I suppose it changed the rake for about a degree or two. I'll try to correct it with CBR's rear shock (shorter and more adjustable than SV's).  :thumb:

cbrfxr67

Shepa: going to work fairings onto the bike eventually.  I want to go with the GS F front and the cbr tail.  But, woe, right now I'm stuck in swap limbo on my van.  Poor GS is surrounded by parts from my donor van.  Not enough time & energy in the day for everything I want/have to do!!
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on June 07, 2011, 02:10:47 PM
Shepa: going to work fairings onto the bike eventually.  I want to go with the GS F front and the cbr tail
Sweeeeeeeeeeeettt!!! Can't wait to see it finished!

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on June 07, 2011, 02:10:47 PMNot enough time & energy in the day for everything I want/have to do!!
I know... there's just no hours enough in a day (after a full time job)... especially when the primer starts to peel off... grrr...

Well... at least the swingarm looks like new.
Hopefully, the engine will be mounted till the end of this week.

ben2go

Quote from: The Buddha on June 06, 2011, 07:56:07 PM
I thought it was closer to 25 ... a savage is about 33, GS has to be 25 or less.
Cool.
Buddha.

Suzuki service manual says 35 degrees.I checked with the stealership service department.

Shepa

Just a little teaser...

The only thing fixed is the engine.

cbrfxr67

So the plate across the carbs bends up and the two cut outs feed air from the box?  Looking good, I have questions boiling, but I'm just going to be quiet and watch cause I know they'll get answered here shortly.  Love how it is coming together!  :woohoo:
-buddha

kml.krk

I have a question too  :D
Will you be able to legally register it and ride?

If you plan to keep current registration, then what about yearly inspection? Do you think you can pass it?

By the way, your skills are awesome and bike looks gorgeous! Keep up the great work!
Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

cbrfxr67

I'd take it to 'Cycle Sports Ltd of Houston' & get it inspected.  As long as everything works, I'm sure it'd be good.  My F2/3 doesn't quite look like a cbr anymore (according to the traffic cop that stopped me yesterday just to ask me what it was :dunno_black:) but it passed inspection easily.  Registration here is easy with clear paperwork on the frame.
-buddha

kml.krk

yeah but judging by electrical outlet in Shepa's garage he is located somewhere in Europe, unless he's got retrofitted 220V outlet for his welder.
If he is in Europe inspection requirements may be different.

It seems logical though that if everything works you should be able to legally ride a modified vehicle providing you have paperwork for parts.

Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

ben2go

Quote from: kml.krk on June 10, 2011, 01:10:56 PM
yeah but judging by electrical outlet in Shepa's garage he is located somewhere in Europe, unless he's got retrofitted 220V outlet for his welder.

It seems logical though that if everything works you should be able to legally ride a modified vehicle providing you have paperwork for parts.

He is some where across the pond.I ask where in an earlier post but he isn't given up the location of Shepa Skunk Works.

Shepa

Quote from: ben2go on June 10, 2011, 01:21:36 PM
Quote from: kml.krk on June 10, 2011, 01:10:56 PM

He is some where across the pond.I ask where in an earlier post but he isn't given up the location of Shepa Skunk Works.
:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
Sorry, I didn't bother to reveal the big secret, since it's written in my profile.
And yes... Croatia is in Europe.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk