News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

What have you done for your bike today????

Started by qwiky, July 29, 2010, 07:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowles

Quote from: adidasguy on April 14, 2012, 09:51:14 PM
OK. So what DIDN'T we do today at the Bike Cave? WOW! 7 bikes in one place: 6 were GS500's!

jmill: SS chain guard, Givi rack, cleaned wheels, cleaned and oiled chain, checked tires and more

bluesmudge: cleaning. Rewired power for GPS

adidasguy: cleaning engine for Phenix. Helped everyone else. Blue helped install and wire a GPS onto Suzi.

jmill and I are going on a ride Sunday with the Eastside Sportbikers. We made sure our bikes were ready for a back roads twisties ride. This is rated as a "novice ride" which will be a good way to get back into group riding and refresh our riding abilities for the twisties. First group ride of the season for both of us.

Installing Givi rack

Rack installed (note: still a plastic chain guard, dirty rear wheel)

Went to my office to pick up the mono-case and a front fender mud flap for jmill (note: SS chain guard on jmill's blue GS500 and the case. rear wheel now clean)

After a ride around Alki Beach and Lake Washington, stopped art their friends house where there was another GS500! Wow! 4 GS500's all in a row.

After all that, I'm so glad I had the GPS on Suzi. I'd still be trying to find my way back home if I didn't have it.
  Motorcycle Mode

What is the tank protector on the white and black one? where did he get that? looks fricking great.
1989 GS 500EK

wildcat333

Quote from: Twisted on April 14, 2012, 08:15:51 PM
Quote from: wildcat333 on April 14, 2012, 07:53:18 PM
Quote from: Phil B on April 14, 2012, 07:35:00 PM
well, not exactly for my bike... but it's "for riding my bike"...
bought some proper boots today :)

Alpinestars MX-5.  oddly, they're being discontinued, the dealer says. Plus it was a "demo day". So i got them for under $200. including tax.

I love my new Alpinestar "Fastlane" boots. They are finally starting to break in and get more comfortable :D

Hell they look like boots to me? They look similar to the Shift Fuels. They look good. Just make sure you keep them laces tucked behind the velcro strap when you ride

I know they are not true racing boots, but for my first full season of riding, I think these will serve most of my needs. They seem to be pretty safe - safer than my Timbs at least.

Yeah, the velcro strap is great to tuck away my laces.

http://youtu.be/gLVImoEdlvU < video review of the boots.
2009 Suzuki GS500F | Black/Silver | Zero Gravity Double Bubble dark-smoked windscreen | Lights4All LED smoked tail | DMP LED smoked rear signals | Pro Grip 719 RVGS handlebar grips | Rear metal grab-bars delete | Yoshimura TRS Slip On Exhaust

Toogoofy317

Forgot to add Flick got new Fuel lines. It's really cool I can see if I have fuel or not LOL!

Also, aren't the newer tanks 4.5 gallons? The reason I ask is that I put 4.3 gallons in today and had just went to reserve. Something is fishy with this Hess station. Because, I'm pretty sure Flick won't run with .2 gallons in him!

Mary
2004 F, Fenderectomy, barends, gsxr-pegs, pro grip gel covers, 15th JT sprocket, stock decals gone,custom chain guard,GSXR integrated mirrors, flush mount signals, 150 rear tire,white rims, rebuilt top end, V&H Exhaust, Custom heel and chain guard (Adidasguy)

adidasguy

From the WIKI:

Fuel

The GS500 requires 87 octane fuel.

The fuel tank capacity (gallons) is as follows:

California, pre-2000: 4.0 total, 0.9 reserve
Non-CA, pre-2000: 4.3 total, 0.9 reserve
California, 2001+: 5.0 total, 1.0 reserve
Non-CA, 2001+: 5.3 total, 1.0 reserve

adidasguy

First, took Suzi on a ride with jmill and the Seattle Eastside Sportbikers. Quite a ride! Going 50 around 20mph corners really sharpened my riding skills. Didn't crap my pants - but came close on 2 sharp 150* turns.

Second: It was still nice when I got home so I finished washing the engine for Phenix and put it in! Still have to connect up everything. Clutch connected so what more do you need? He now looks like a motorcycle!  :woohoo:

(More pix in the build thread.)

daski-emt

1994 GS-500E "Commuter Combo"
K&N Air filter/jets(soon)
6000k HID Headlight
Cortech Saddle bags
SlipStreamer Windscreen

jmill

Well, there's all the pics Adidas posted about the luggage, cleaning, and chain guard, plus the GS500 ride, PLUS the eastside sportbike ride (GS500 had no trouble keeping up with the liter bikes in the twisties. Finally understand why losing the centerstand is a good idea :D). It's just been a great bike weekend.

In other news, been watching a quarter fairing for a week on ebay, and managed to pick it up for a good price. Sorry if I outbid one of you guys. Came out to about $50 shipped.

As soon as I finish playing around on the computer, I'll try and get posted an idea of what I have for the paint scheme. Use your imagination, but it'll be white with black as a secondary and some red accents, with the luggage painted to match.
When in doubt, empty the magazine.

xunedeinx

Rode it, and got caught on camera!!!

BTW, just about to turn over 15k. Got it at 8k.

wildcat333

@ xunedeinx > did you lower your bike at all? Maybe it is just the crooked photo angles, but it looks slightly lower.
2009 Suzuki GS500F | Black/Silver | Zero Gravity Double Bubble dark-smoked windscreen | Lights4All LED smoked tail | DMP LED smoked rear signals | Pro Grip 719 RVGS handlebar grips | Rear metal grab-bars delete | Yoshimura TRS Slip On Exhaust

Phil B

Quote from: shonole on April 14, 2012, 09:04:56 PM

Finally got some boots, eh?  What did you get?  Willing to sacrifice the Fuel's to someone in need?  Lol.

:)
in principle I wouldnt mind. but the incident scraped open the stiching in large areas on the left shoe. (to the point where the panels are opening up a bit)
So I wouldnt want to be passing that off to someone else.

I went cheap, with MX-5 boots.
I sort of want more rigidity... but seems like that only comes from exo-skeleton type boots.
Which,even beyond being significantly more expensive, look kinda hokey. I wanted more "can wear in normal places" boots.

In retrospect though, this was silly. because the boots have sort of flared top areas. They're meant to have track suit pant legs stuffed into them.
If you wear normal type pants, they flop around on the top a bit. D'oh...

Legnd

Filled up and went for a 70 mile ride down to Canadice Lake, NY.

Not great photos but you get the idea. Got home and washed and waxed. Started to rain though  >:( so I couldn't scrub the rims, they're still dirty. Loving it so far though.

Legnd
Just got into Motorcycling. First bike- 1992 Suzuki Gs500e. Purple with Pink highlights baby!

shonole

Quote from: Phil B on April 16, 2012, 11:14:12 AM
Quote from: shonole on April 14, 2012, 09:04:56 PM

Finally got some boots, eh?  What did you get?  Willing to sacrifice the Fuel's to someone in need?  Lol.

:)
in principle I wouldnt mind. but the incident scraped open the stiching in large areas on the left shoe. (to the point where the panels are opening up a bit)
So I wouldnt want to be passing that off to someone else.

I went cheap, with MX-5 boots.
I sort of want more rigidity... but seems like that only comes from exo-skeleton type boots.
Which,even beyond being significantly more expensive, look kinda hokey. I wanted more "can wear in normal places" boots.

In retrospect though, this was silly. because the boots have sort of flared top areas. They're meant to have track suit pant legs stuffed into them.
If you wear normal type pants, they flop around on the top a bit. D'oh...

I can put my mad sewing skills to use.   :2guns:
2004 SV650n - Blue

dropitlow88

didn't trade my running reliable gs for a rough looking zx600e. I feel good about it too!

entropic

Failure is the condiment that gives success it's flavor.

dougdoberman

Removed wheels from CBR.  New tires tomorrow.

Goodbye Pirelli, who have shod every sportbike I've owned for the last 15+ years.  Alas, they no longer produce a model which will fit the CBR's 16" front wheel. 

Hello Metzler, which are made in the VERY SAME FACTORY as the Pirellis.  Bah.

If you can't be a good example, at least try to be a horrible reminder.

Tombstones81

Gimbel Headlight cowl finally installed!

3 more pics in my build thread.
94 GS500
01 Engine
Personally repainted!  (Traded)

87 Honda VF700C Magna
(Super Magna)

adidasguy

Suzi got her Zero Gravity "Double Bubble" windscreen replaced with a new Sport Touring windscreen today.

dougdoberman

New wheel bearings for the CBR while the wheels were off for new tires.  Front brake pads.  And black reflective wheel tape.

Rear wheel bearings all looked to be in OK shape, but I had new ones that came with the bike when I bought it, so figured I'd throw them in.  That dust seal was trashed though.

The wheel tape is black and nearly unnoticeable normally.  It's lit up here because of the camera flash.  I'm not a fan of the colored rim tape (seems a little faddish to me) but I do like the reflective aspect for better visibility to others at night.  I'm glad that there's black tape that's brightly reflective.  The GS will be getting striped as well.  Its wheels are a dark grey so hopefully the black tape won't stand out too much.

Oops.  Got a spot there where I got a little sloppy. 

I used this stuff.  https://www.denniskirk.com/factory-effex/black-wheel-strips-with-applicator.p5202944.prd/5202944.sku  It's a roll with an applicator that you run along the side of the rim in order to get it even.   Even with the applicator, it's a little fiddly.  I'd read that it's probably easier to do it with the wheel on the bike so you can hold the applicator steady and just rotate the wheel.  I didn't follow that suggestion.  :)  I will on the GS though, as the wheels won't be off the bike.  Depending on how anal I feel, I may order up another package when DK gets the black back in stock and redo the front wheel.

If you can't be a good example, at least try to be a horrible reminder.

mister

New wheel bearings front and rear for the GS500. Rear was fine, front not, decided to do them both to be sure  :thumb:

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

stroztech

Abby got a new rear tyre and some new LED indicators on the front

and I finally got around to "losing" the originals and hooking up the indicators on the integrated LED tail light too.
Adrian
Current Ride: 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan VN1500 Nomad Fi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk