News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

gs500e no spark on left cylinder

Started by rich3389, January 26, 2015, 06:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich3389

I am trying to track down a problem with a bike I recently purchased. I bought the bike with the left cylinder not firing. I tracked  it down to the left coil not providing spark. Things I have done so far is...

Swapped the coils around and it still did not fire on the left side.
The orange wire does provide the coil with 12 volts. Checked all other connections around the coil area and the CDI area.
I tested the signal generator and the resistance was in spec as well as both primary and secondary for the coils.

I am at a loss now any other ideas?  :dunno_black:

floatingLomas

So you're sure there's no spark from that side?

I ask because my left cylinder wouldn't fire, and it turned out to be a leaking vaccuum diaphragm which was drowning out the cylinder.  Capping the vaccuum ports and running on prime solved it.

If it ain't that, I got nothin. :P
I know a little bit about a lot of things - usually just enough to be dangerous.

My 93 GS500E

rich3389

Quote from: floatingLomas on January 26, 2015, 06:51:36 PM
So you're sure there's no spark from that side?

I ask because my left cylinder wouldn't fire, and it turned out to be a leaking vaccuum diaphragm which was drowning out the cylinder.  Capping the vaccuum ports and running on prime solved it.

If it ain't that, I got nothin. :P

I am sure, I took the spark plug out and grounded it to the engine while running and it wasn't sparking.

floatingLomas

I know a little bit about a lot of things - usually just enough to be dangerous.

My 93 GS500E

gsJack

Long shot, you switched coils and problem remained on left side.  Did you change plugs or switch them side to side?
407,400 miles in 30 years for 13,580 miles/year average.  Started riding 7/21/84 and hung up helmet 8/31/14.

sledge

Look on the negative battery terminal...is the small black wire connected?

Its the return for the ignition control module. If its not connected or making a poor connection all sorts of weird shaZam! happens  :thumb:

rich3389

Quote from: sledge on January 27, 2015, 12:11:24 PM
Look on the negative battery terminal...is the small black wire connected?

Its the return for the ignition control module. If its not connected or making a poor connection all sorts of weird shaZam! happens  :thumb:

This was it. Only 2 strands of wire were hanging on for dear life. Thanks!

bmf

You think Pyrrhic victory is bad you should try Pyrrhic defeat!

gsJack

Good call, didn't know what that small ground wire was for. 

From moto e direct.
407,400 miles in 30 years for 13,580 miles/year average.  Started riding 7/21/84 and hung up helmet 8/31/14.

sledge

Now then Dennis.......see what a bunch of rude, offensive, clueless and unhelpful people we are....especially me!

:D :D :D

dennisgb

And so capable of patting yourself on the back and showing your arrogance at the same time.

Yes you are the God Sledge! I should bow down and kiss your feet.

I would if you weren't such a total TWIT!

Such a small little life you lead that you have to be master of the GSTwins Forum.  :o

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2009 Suzuki GS500F
2007 Honda 919 Hornet
2004 Honda Shadow Aero Trike
1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
1975 Norton Commando 850 MKIII
1987 Honda Hurricane CBR600 RR Conversion
1988 Honda Hurricane CBR600 Black Red
1988 Honda Hurricane CBR600 White Red
1988 Honda Hurricane CBR600 Blue

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk