News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Fuel Issue or Something Else? 96 Gs500E

Started by MotoSeamus, June 02, 2019, 07:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotoSeamus

Hi All,

I'm going to list as much information as i can below in laymans terms (i'm relatively new to working on bikes) but let me know if you need more information.

Previously:

Bike wouldn't idle for longer than a few seconds. Took the carbs apart, cleaned the float bowls. Found the idle screw turned all the way out (not making contact) and caked in something that looked like it came out of a dinosaurs arse. Cleaned that up, turned it in so it was making contact. Bike started up fine on around half choke, idled at around 3k rpm. Turn choke off, it dies. Turn choke to full, it dies. Rode it for a little while, clutch was slipping between first , N and second. New Clutch cable as it came with the bike, but the screw (Part 57442-11010-000) doesn't clamp the cable properly as its slightly bent out of shape. Ordered a replacement. Hopefully this fixes that issue but any ideas would be awesome.

History: At some point the bike has been dynojetted. The idle jets (smaller one?) are stripped and i can't remove them. The jets also don't look like the standard ones i've seen in my research and appear fatter?

Current:

Rode the bike yesterday for around an hour. Seemed fine other than the clutch issue as above. Onto the idle issue. It will (or did) idle in neutral between 2-3krpm with half choke. If you turn the choke off, it dies in neutral. Turn it up to full, it dies in neutral. This was still occurring by the time i reached my destination. If you reach a light and pull in the clutch in first, it dies unless your on the throttle.

Today: Bike starts in neutral and dies unless you give it throttle. The throttle hangs and then slowly comes back down (throttle cable need adjusting?) The choke no longer appears to do anything. To keep it going you have to be on the throttle basically. It was not like this yesterday.

Does anyone have any ideas on the above? I'm a student and i don't have tons of cash to throw at a mechanic so i'm happy to take it slow and figure things out myself. I also don't need to use the bike so it can take a bit of time. That being said i have a couple of hundred i can throw at it for parts/a mechanic if needed.

Any questions let me know and thanks for any info.

MotoSeamus.

themonkeyman89

Sounds like your idle circuit is clogged. I'd start by trying to remove the stuck pilot screws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotoSeamus

mr72

Why not go read that blog post and then see if you need any more explanation? It's pretty complete.

It should run correctly BTW with the idle (throttle stop) screw backed all the way out if everything is in top shape. It should not start cold easily with half choke, should require full choke. This is explained in the blog post.

Idle hanging high indicates the idle speed/throttle-stop is set too high. This is also in that blog post.

The actual cause of what you are experiencing with the bike could be a number of things but who cares? Because with $40 in parts you can do the entire carb refresh and rule out the carbs completely as the cause of the problem. Well, more than $40 for you since you likely need to replace the needles if someone installed a DJ kit, you need to put the stock needles back. I'd jet up one size on pilot and main. Don't fool around with funky air filters, just put an OEM paper filter in it and stock needles and inspect everything, replace all the o-rings, clean as needed, and be done with it. If it still misbehaves then the problem is most likely compression; you could do a compression test first and be sure before spending time and money on carbs. Autozone will loan you a compression test tool and if either cylinder is under about 110psi or if there is more than about 20 psi difference between the cylinders then someone here will tell you that it's "tight valves" but I'll tell you to get a top end rebuild or a different motorcycle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk