Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

how to fit a twin disc front end

Started by hmmmnz, October 03, 2006, 03:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmmmnz

just thought i would do a write up, for future modders :Grin
the first step in the process is getting the donor fornt end,
i would get a complete front end (wheel, yokes, brakes, mudguard,ect) as opossed to what i did and got bits and peices from every where, it ended up that i got the wrong calipers, the second set were to wide so needed some grinding. up to you really.

ok 1, get new forks and yokes,
2. i pressed out the stem from the donor forks (gsx 750 in my case) but nearly every suzuki has a very similar width stem.

3. get your gs stem(or if like me you can't afford to have the bike off the road, buy a bottom yoke off ebay)
4. press out the gs stem from its yoke,
5. i found that the gs stem was about 1/16th of a mm smaller than the gsx stem so i got an engineer/turner to knurl the bottom part of the gs stem to "swell" it, which worked a treat,
6. press the gs stem in to your donor yoke
7. fit new bearing,. (available from busters, wemoto, and probly your local bike shop as well) you'll need a peice of pipe just wider than the stem but not too wide, don't want to damage that shiny new bearing :D
8. pop your bike on the center stand, and start pulling your old gs front end apart,, remove clocks, headlight handle bars and any thing else that is attached to you original forks (brakes) now, un bolt the center nut on the top yoke, unbolt the 2 bolts on the top yoke that clamp the forks,
the whole front end should slide out in one unit now,
9, get your pre-prepared front end with bottom yoke loosly attached, and with your headlight bracket, clip on handle bars(if used) in place, and slide it in the same way you slid out the old one.
10, put in new top race bearing
11. put you new top yoke (you will have to remove the old ignition swich, i used a grinder tio get it off the old yoke, and used 2 6mm screws and screwed it to the new one)  on and put in the center bolt to hold everything in place.
12. tighten every thing in place, before you put your headlight back in check your steering stops.. i had to grind about 10mm from each side of the stop on the frame to get a decent steering circle.
(this pic is from lev and seans rgv install)
i also had to grind away the steering lock thing(the top metal thing)

13, now its just a matter of reinstalling your headlight, coming up with a way to install clocks, putting all the electrics , throttle, mirrors ect back into place,

14. next on the cards is brakes, its time to bleed those bad boys, and get them nice and stiff, its basically just like bleeding you single caliper brake, but you have to do it to both sides to make sure there is no air in the system, its an arduous process,

and thats it basically

ok things to remember
1. headlight bracket and indicators to fit(remember if you have the naked version that is) that your headlight bracket wont fit your new forks along with your indicators
2. get new bearings (called head race bearings, the come in a set of 2, one for the top, and a larger for the bottom)
3. make sure you have all the brake lines a new master cylinder to hanle all the extra fluid that it will be pumping. also new pads are a good idea as well, may as well do it now while its easy.
4. lots of brake fluid, get a 1 litre from halford for £7 you wont use half of that but its always handy to have around the house :D
5. having another set of hands, although not essential is always appriciated, i got mine for cheap, a few beers and a couch to sleep on(code name essex-joe)
6. having beer on hand is nearly essential,
and i think thats it,

oh yeah if you don't have any thing nice to say, then don't say it!!  this is how to is to help people who want to know how to do a front end change over not a debate on how my bike looks :D
pod filters, costum r6 quill exhaust(no baffles)40/140 jets, heavy duty springs, sv650 rear shock, gsxr srad tail, bandit 600 4.5 inch rim with 150 tyre, gsx twin disc front end "1995 pocket rocket"  ridden by a kiwi in scotland

Lukewarm Wilson

Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again

suzuki gs500f

Great writeup. sticky material.  you got any other mods planned? I see you did the GSXR tail and now the forks...looking good. I wish I could see that tail on a "F" model.

hmmmnz

im just about out of ideas for mods, i have the gsxr tail, a bandit 4.5inch rim, twin disc front end, sv650 shock,pods, i almost bought a banana swing arm and all the bits to do a change over, but it wouldn't serve any real purpose except for looks,
if any one has a good idea for the next mod, im all ears
pod filters, costum r6 quill exhaust(no baffles)40/140 jets, heavy duty springs, sv650 rear shock, gsxr srad tail, bandit 600 4.5 inch rim with 150 tyre, gsx twin disc front end "1995 pocket rocket"  ridden by a kiwi in scotland

suzuki gs500f

hmmmnz

fairings are G.A.Y. !! its not a race bike :D just a crappy gs, i like the street fighter look

Dr. Love

Quote from: hmmmnz on October 03, 2006, 03:48:20 PM
fairings are G.A.Y. !! its not a race bike :D just a crappy gs, i like the street fighter look
Word!

thirdman

Nice write-up.

You have very shiny shoes.
2001 GS500 - repainted Black, 15t front sproket, handlebar risers, partial fenderectomy, self-made custom seat, Broussard Advancer, Chuck Brace
(black is, of course, the fastest color)
IBA #23502

hmmmnz

FearedGS500

NiceGuysFinishLast

Quote from: FearedGS500 on October 04, 2006, 10:19:00 AM
your ghey for thinking there ghey  :flipoff:

You're ghey for not knowing what a homophone is. (No, it's not what we use to call AJ :laugh:)
irc.freequest.net

#GStwins gs500

Hang out there, we may flame, but we don't hate.

My attitude is in serious need of readjustment, and I'm ok with that.

hmmmnz

Quote from: NiceGuysFinishLast on October 04, 2006, 10:21:24 AM

You're ghey for not knowing what a homophone is. (No, it's not what we use to call AJ :laugh:)
quite a good peice of english, :D well done

makenzie71

you did it the hard way.  most people would just get a gsxr front end and bearings.

NiceGuysFinishLast

Quote from: hmmmnz on October 04, 2006, 02:36:25 PM
Quote from: NiceGuysFinishLast on October 04, 2006, 10:21:24 AM

quite a good peice of english, :D well done

Hah, thanks. English is what I do well. Yay 800 verbal! (Didn't do me any good, since I'm an engineer)
irc.freequest.net

#GStwins gs500

Hang out there, we may flame, but we don't hate.

My attitude is in serious need of readjustment, and I'm ok with that.

sanjay

'92 GS500.  Sold.
'01 GS500.  Sold.  SM2s.  Progressives (15W).  Woodcraft Rearsets.  K&N Lunchbox.  Yoshi TRS slip-on.  CRG bar-end mirrors.  Pirelli Sport Demons.  Billet Fork Brace.
'07 Monster 695.

GS500 Wiki:  http://wiki.gstwins.com

hmmmnz

Quote from: makenzie71 on October 04, 2006, 03:38:11 PM
you did it the hard way.  most people would just get a gsxr front end and bearings.
is the gsxr stem not longer? like the gsx? i didn't want to go the spacer route as ive seen done on other gs's
and it was cheap, i thought it was stupidly easy. the hardest bit was pressing out the stems, and since i didn't have a press some one else did it for me :D

hmmmnz

Quote from: sanjay on October 04, 2006, 06:01:30 PM
Nice job!  Mind putting it on the wiki?

http://cgi.stanford.edu/~sanjayd/gs500/Upgrades/TwinFrontRotors?action=edit
ok its in there exactly as on the forum, feel free to modify it, to get rid of my sloppy spelling and grammer :D and set it up like the other wiki pages

makenzie71

Quoteis the gsxr stem not longer? like the gsx? i didn't want to go the spacer route as ive seen done on other gs's

Depends on year, model, clamps, etc.  With the TL stem you're running a little long, but it's manageable with a small washer on top of the clamp.

sanjay

Quote from: hmmmnz on October 04, 2006, 06:14:39 PM
Quote from: sanjay on October 04, 2006, 06:01:30 PM
Nice job!  Mind putting it on the wiki?

http://cgi.stanford.edu/~sanjayd/gs500/Upgrades/TwinFrontRotors?action=edit
ok its in there exactly as on the forum, feel free to modify it, to get rid of my sloppy spelling and grammer :D and set it up like the other wiki pages

Thanks!
'92 GS500.  Sold.
'01 GS500.  Sold.  SM2s.  Progressives (15W).  Woodcraft Rearsets.  K&N Lunchbox.  Yoshi TRS slip-on.  CRG bar-end mirrors.  Pirelli Sport Demons.  Billet Fork Brace.
'07 Monster 695.

GS500 Wiki:  http://wiki.gstwins.com

Cozzy

Quote from: hmmmnz on October 03, 2006, 03:20:42 PM
just thought i would do a write up, for future modders :Grin
the first step in the process is getting the donor fornt end,
i would get a complete front end (wheel, yokes, brakes, mudguard,ect) as opossed to what i did and got bits and peices from every where, it ended up that i got the wrong calipers, the second set were to wide so needed some grinding. up to you really.

ok 1, get new forks and yokes,
2. i pressed out the stem from the donor forks (gsx 750 in my case) but nearly every suzuki has a very similar width stem.

3. get your gs stem(or if like me you can't afford to have the bike off the road, buy a bottom yoke off ebay)
4. press out the gs stem from its yoke,
5. i found that the gs stem was about 1/16th of a mm smaller than the gsx stem so i got an engineer/turner to knurl the bottom part of the gs stem to "swell" it, which worked a treat,
6. press the gs stem in to your donor yoke
7. fit new bearing,. (available from busters, wemoto, and probly your local bike shop as well) you'll need a peice of pipe just wider than the stem but not too wide, don't want to damage that shiny new bearing :D
8. pop your bike on the center stand, and start pulling your old gs front end apart,, remove clocks, headlight handle bars and any thing else that is attached to you original forks (brakes) now, un bolt the center nut on the top yoke, unbolt the 2 bolts on the top yoke that clamp the forks,
the whole front end should slide out in one unit now,
9, get your pre-prepared front end with bottom yoke loosly attached, and with your headlight bracket, clip on handle bars(if used) in place, and slide it in the same way you slid out the old one.
10, put in new top race bearing
11. put you new top yoke (you will have to remove the old ignition swich, i used a grinder tio get it off the old yoke, and used 2 6mm screws and screwed it to the new one)  on and put in the center bolt to hold everything in place.
12. tighten every thing in place, before you put your headlight back in check your steering stops.. i had to grind about 10mm from each side of the stop on the frame to get a decent steering circle.
(this pic is from lev and seans rgv install)
i also had to grind away the steering lock thing(the top metal thing)

13, now its just a matter of reinstalling your headlight, coming up with a way to install clocks, putting all the electrics , throttle, mirrors ect back into place,

14. next on the cards is brakes, its time to bleed those bad boys, and get them nice and stiff, its basically just like bleeding you single caliper brake, but you have to do it to both sides to make sure there is no air in the system, its an arduous process,

and thats it basically

ok things to remember
1. headlight bracket and indicators to fit(remember if you have the naked version that is) that your headlight bracket wont fit your new forks along with your indicators
2. get new bearings (called head race bearings, the come in a set of 2, one for the top, and a larger for the bottom)
3. make sure you have all the brake lines a new master cylinder to hanle all the extra fluid that it will be pumping. also new pads are a good idea as well, may as well do it now while its easy.
4. lots of brake fluid, get a 1 litre from halford for £7 you wont use half of that but its always handy to have around the house :D
5. having another set of hands, although not essential is always appriciated, i got mine for cheap, a few beers and a couch to sleep on(code name essex-joe)
6. having beer on hand is nearly essential,
and i think thats it,

oh yeah if you don't have any thing nice to say, then don't say it!!  this is how to is to help people who want to know how to do a front end change over not a debate on how my bike looks :D

What did you do to the speedo , they look cool, did  you just remove the cover? Great work mate!
A crash is the result of the rider's mistake, so don't blame the bike

A rider should be able to control the bike but not controlled by the bike, becuase on the track you don't want to DNF and on the road you don't want to lose you licence

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk