News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Hi there!

Started by krol, December 14, 2017, 06:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krol

Hi guys!

I've just started my Suzuki GS journey with a '77 GS400!
Although it is not my first motorcycle, this is the one I'm working on the most. Why? Because this one will become a real racing bike! That's right. I bought it deliberately to use in Classic Motorcycles Cup, Classic 500 class (pre '78), and even it is not fully competitive with powerful and lightweight two strokes from that era, it is still a great bike to start racing and have fun on it!

krol

And this is how it looked like when I bought it.

cbrfxr67

Love it!  Great Pic!!!  Hope you post your experiences! :bstar:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

krol

How it looks now (it is not finished yet, just started working on that):

What has been done:
- Stripping and removing unnecessary elements
- All original electric wires are out. New custom one is being built.
- Camshaft changed to the one from GS450 (Higher lobes), original one comes from German market, hence it had 27PS
- Carburetors cleaned and rebuilt
- Removed airbox
- Removed exhaust pipes and mufflers, will be replaced by 2in1 and something smaller and lighter
- Removed electric starter, kickstarter left (to be considered if I really need it)
- Removed battery, replacement has to be found
- Removed ignition system (the old one contact breaker), will be replaced by newer from "modern" GS500E
- Brake master cylinder cleaned and rebuilt
- Brake callipers cleaned and rebuilt
- Fuel tank replaced, fuel valve cleaned and rebuilt.

A lot to do yet, and free time that I can spend on it is limited :(

cbrfxr67

Bad a**!  Can't wait to see more!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Bluesmudge

Amazing how many parts you can remove when you are only concerned about the racetrack!
Since you are using some more recent parts from the GS500 etc, what are the requirements for the Classic 500 class you plan to race in? What modern components can you swap onto the bike?

Kenner

Keep up updated on your progress. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ken

krol

Classic 500 class requires to have all parts that are "period correct", it means that were accessible at that time. Of course we can use new parts as long as they are made using the same technologies as in '70. So let's say new brake pads are ok, except ones that were invented after '70 and uses materials or shapes that weren't available in70.

The only exception is ignition system which can be fully modern but limited to 2-dimensional timing/advance map. (X revs, Y advancing). Just simple electronics modules. It is mostly because of parts availability and reliability as well.

Although these are rules, that should be obeyed, newcomers are treated slightly lighter, hence handlebars you see in the pic are from modern 125, and that's "ok" to just start, but in the future should be replaced to ones that are correct.

Mechanical parts may be replaced as long as they fit into the period.

A question: how do you read this captcha I'm asked to answer each time? And same for questions. It drives me nuts.

cbrfxr67

INteresting info!  That captcha will go away after you've posted a few more posts! 
-buddha

krol

Here we are:

GS500 ignition pickup installed. Almost plug and play! Didn't checked a spark though because still need to install few more wires on it :)

In the meantime, I took a quick look at my rear shocks. They are a KONI Special D with a quick damping pot. Nice.

krol

Sparkplug checked. Spark is so beautiful! Oh my, I can't wait to kickstart it :)

But not yet. Carbs are not installed yet. Exhaust pipes do not exist yet.

I tried to fit original tail and I like it. What do you think guys?

cbrfxr67

I'm liking it.  WHen you planning on starting it up?
-buddha

krol

Hi @cbrfxr67, as soon as possible! As always, don't have enough time to work on it, but step by step, and hope I will start it at the end of January, maybe earlier. Next few weekends I have business trips I can't decline, so... we will see.

Latest changes:
Inlets modified - these parts in between carbs and head. One of them had some fret inside (removed and slightly polished - nope, it is not a mirror, just leaving it smooth), the second piece aligned with the first. Smooth inlet (I hope ;) )
Corked holes left after removing an electric starter.
Camchain tensioner reassembled, cleaned and installed.
Carbs checked one more time, installed.
Throttle and throttle lines cleaned.

Half of a day was trying to bend some (modern) GS500 2-in-1 exhaust pipes to match exhaust ports and a frame of mine. Did it for the first time in my life. Not finished yet, it is not the easiest thing... I have decided to go with 2-in-1 because this is a quite easy way of reducing motorcycle weight, getting good access to left part of the motorcycle (cleaning a chain) etc. I'm curious if it may any negative impact on a performance comparing to 2 in 2 exhausts with different silencers on it.

Should I create a topic in Build category? Yeah, sure I should. :)

krol

It's alive. Still a lot to do, but first rides show the hidden potential.

cbrfxr67

Awezome!  Where pics??! :dunno_black:
-buddha

cbrfxr67

-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk