News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

low profile windshield options?

Started by Torstein, March 31, 2017, 05:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torstein

First, I searched quite a bit, lots of old threads, and since riding season is getting going decided to throw my hat into the mix here... Looking for a low profile windshield to help take the edge off. I have been looking at a couple different options and am wondering if anyone has experience with any of these. Pictures would be a bonus, I really want to see how these ones look mounted to a GS.I really want to keep the minimalist look and don't want full coverage. These are the 3 I have been considering, but am not quite ready to pull the trigger. This would be going on a 99 500E (naked).

Puig 0869H Light Smoke Naked Universal Windshield for 8" Round Headlight
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CN6SOE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Puig 1480F Dark Smoke Cockpit Universal Windshield
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GA3CS88/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

National Cycle F-16 Sport Windshield - Dark Tint N2526
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GRQNSK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1P4Q6WVP7QBZ3

ShowBizWolf

ooooooOOOOOOooooo I like all of those!!! I think the second one is my favorite though.

I know you said you did some searching (and man I hate it when old threads come up and the OP leaves ya hangin'... like come on where's the closure? Where's the finished product?? I'm dying here seriously lol) but did you check the wiki? Lots of pictures and different windshields in there. http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Upgrades.Windshields
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Torstein

didn't check the wiki, thanks for the link!!

ShowBizWolf

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Watcher

I like the last one you linked.

Something to consider about the low profile ones, is that they may raise the wind off of your chest but they may also direct it all into your FACE.
So the little tiny bikini fairings usually aren't the greatest when it comes to performance.  So I'd rule out #2 (I think it's ugly anyway).

#1 looks tall, dimensions are 20"x15"x6" about, and I don't really like the look of tall screens.  You said you wanted something low profile and while it's still not a full on fairing it still seems like it's a rather large screen.  It'll be the most effective, but you'll be in touring mode at that point.

So that leaves #3.  It says it's 15" tall, that's about the same height as the Zero-G I have on my Buell, and it works well.  If I sit up I do catch wind to the face, but if I sit relaxed or even back in the seat it's comfortable.  That'd be the one I go for.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

user11235813

The top one looks very similar to the GIVI A210 which I have. The other two won't do anything other than affect the look of the bike, in fact may make it worse.

gsJack

The first one would be best for year around all weather riding, the 2nd and 3rd look more decorative than functional.  Like already mentioned you don't want the line of turbulence from the top of the shield to hit you right in the face.  I used a smaller Spitfire shield spring thru fall and put on a bigger Plexi 2 for the winter.  The line of turbulence hit me about neck high with the Spitfire and passed over my head with the big Plexi 2.  And you'll need the wings on the Plexi 2 for your hands, even snowmobile gloves won't do it for any distance when it's below freezing at biking speeds.

407,400 miles in 30 years for 13,580 miles/year average.  Started riding 7/21/84 and hung up helmet 8/31/14.

Torstein

thanks for the insight everyone. I appreciate your input on functionality versus looks. I think #1 is probably my best bet at this point.

gregjet

Be careful taking someone's recommendation of screens. The effect of a screen on two people can be dissimilar. The angle the screen is mounted and the positioning have an effect on the flow. The riders crossectional profile, the distance from the screen, the shape of the helmet, the angle of the rider's body ALL have an effect on the flow around the screen and subsequent turbulance. That doesn't mean that a recommended screen won't work but you may have to play with angle and position to reduce unwanted effects ( eg such as vortex sheding or up blast).
A small fairing or shaped screen that moves the air around, rather than up, is usually preferable but not a guarantee of goodness.
Sometimes adding a spaced upper screen/fairing can mitigate unwanted flow or turbulence.

Watcher

^ This ^

Not to mention just simple height differences.  A 5'8" person on a GS will naturally catch less wind or duck under a screens deflection while a 6'0" tall rider might catch it square in the face.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Torstein

Thanks Gregjet/Watcher, good points you make. Thankfully I'm 5'7" and don't catch a ton of wind as it is, I just want a small screen that I can duck behind on the few times I go onto the highway, and also, I just think I'll like how it looks. I made a couple highway runs today and was laying on my tank and still getting blasted, would be nice to have a small bit of relief to tuck behind. Having airflow directed at my face isn't a huge concern during my daily riding which is 90% commuting < 35mph. Plus I wear a full face helmet. Either way, I am not ready to pull the trigger quite yet, going to do some more research but I appreciate your feedback so far. Love this site.

gregjet

Just a little aside.
If you know where ther is a Cagiva Raptor which still has the little flyscreen divider over the headlight that doesn't want it/it is on a wrecked bike/ or you can take a mold of it get it. The look like nothing and work well up to 120kph. Unbelievable piece of aerodynamic design. You may need to fiddle with the positioning to get max effect.
Only picture I have of it. . Made a mould and used it and an extended version on almost every bike I have owned that isn't full faired.

lefty1615

QuoteIf you know where ther is a Cagiva Raptor which still has the little flyscreen divider over the headlight that doesn't want it/it is on a wrecked bike/ or you can take a mold of it get it. The look like nothing and work well up to 120kph. Unbelievable piece of aerodynamic design. You may need to fiddle with the positioning to get max effect.

Holy crap is that windscreen cool. I generally find most/all windscreens to really ruin the lines of naked bikes in particular but that is sexy! One more thing to add to my list haha

gregjet

By the way, That motor is a Cagiva modded SV650 Suzuki motor. Possibly one of the great combinations in a motorcycle...The torque power and reliability of a SV650 motor in a chassis designed and built by Ducati/Cagiva. Just think about that for a minute

k.rollin

I'll post a picture in a bit, but I have a Dart Classic flyscreen on my GS500. I haven't noticed much difference riding with it or without it, but it does do a nice job of hiding the gaps between the aftermarket headlight bucket and the gauges. The old light seemed to fit closer the the rest of the bike.

user11235813

I'm 5 '61/2" and if you want to be able to get out of the wind laying down on the tank then the GIVI A210 will probably work. It doesn't direct any blast at my face either and I wear an open face helmet with a windshield. And it has a slight upward curve on the top as well as being adjustable for the angle.

Quote from: Torstein on April 01, 2017, 05:42:07 PM
Thanks Gregjet/Watcher, good points you make. Thankfully I'm 5'7" and don't catch a ton of wind as it is, I just want a small screen that I can duck behind on the few times I go onto the highway, and also, I just think I'll like how it looks. I made a couple highway runs today and was laying on my tank and still getting blasted, would be nice to have a small bit of relief to tuck behind. Having airflow directed at my face isn't a huge concern during my daily riding which is 90% commuting < 35mph. Plus I wear a full face helmet. Either way, I am not ready to pull the trigger quite yet, going to do some more research but I appreciate your feedback so far. Love this site.

Torstein

Quote from: user11235813 on April 04, 2017, 03:28:27 AM
I'm 5 '61/2" and if you want to be able to get out of the wind laying down on the tank then the GIVI A210 will probably work. It doesn't direct any blast at my face either and I wear an open face helmet with a windshield. And it has a slight upward curve on the top as well as being adjustable for the angle.

Quote from: Torstein on April 01, 2017, 05:42:07 PM

ohhh, i like that one! very minimal, a little tint, looks niiiiice! thanks for sharing  :thumb: :thumb:

k.rollin

Dart Classic Flyscreen in the midnight black tint. There's a light tint, dark tint, and opaque gray available as well, if the midnight black isn't your thing. As I said earlier, I haven't noticed much difference with it versus without it when riding in an upright position. There's enough to hide behind if I ride with my chin on the tank, but I generally don't care enough to do so. I'm 5'7" too, for reference.

Dart also has the Piranha which is a shorter version of the Classic, as well as the Marlin, which is larger and has a more aggressive looking curvature from the side profile. To mount the Marlin on a GS500, it looks like a different setup for the gauges will be required.

honline

Quote from: k.rollin on April 04, 2017, 06:48:10 PM
Dart Classic Flyscreen in the midnight black tint. There's a light tint, dark tint, and opaque gray available as well, if the midnight black isn't your thing. As I said earlier, I haven't noticed much difference with it versus without it when riding in an upright position. There's enough to hide behind if I ride with my chin on the tank, but I generally don't care enough to do so. I'm 5'7" too, for reference.

Dart also has the Piranha which is a shorter version of the Classic, as well as the Marlin, which is larger and has a more aggressive looking curvature from the side profile. To mount the Marlin on a GS500, it looks like a different setup for the gauges will be required.

Hey K Rollin, which bracket did you get? I've been playing with the idea of this and seeing your pic pretty much sold me. They have a variety of brackets and trying to figure out which fits the GS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

user11235813

I like the GIVI A210, it seems similar to the PUIG. It's about the minimum height to be useful any lower and it's just for show.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-a210-airstar-universal-windscreen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk