News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Emission Equipment Removal

Started by shuadaddy, March 12, 2008, 04:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shuadaddy

I have a 2006 Cali GS500F and am in the process of installing a lunch-box air filter and rejetting the carbs. As I am doing a F to E conversion (mostly done actually) I want to make this bike as clean/simple as possible. This means removing all that unsightly smog equipment.

I have been searching around on this board and google, and unfortunately haven't found any real definitive answer on removing smog equipment.

Since no on seems to know for sure what happens if you take the smog equipment off, I am just going to do it and see what happens.

I plan on removing the PAIR system as well as the Carbon gas fume box underneath the battery.

It looks like removing the Charcoal canister should be pretty easy. However, to remove the PAIR system, it looks like I will need to fabricate some block-offs where the tubes connect to the cylinders.

I will be taking extensive pictures and post my progress and results here. Any comments/suggestions any of you have would be very welcome.

OK, back to the garage  :thumb:
2006 GS500F, Cafe Street Fighter Style Conversion, Fenderectomy, Progressive Front Springs, Timing Advance, Lunchbox Air Filter, Rejetted, Smog Equipment Removed

scottpA_GS

Sounds great! cant wait to see the pics  :thumb: :thumb:

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

shuadaddy

OK I pulled the PAIR system and fabricated and installed some knockoff/covers for where the tubes mounted.

Before:

The Knockoffs (I made this from 1/8" aluminum sheet, thats the stock gasket I reused on the left):

The Knockoffs Mounted:

Not sure if this is going to work yet, as I got my carbs apart and rejetted but didn't make it to the hardware store in time to buy replacement screws for float bowl  :cry:
I will get the screws in the morning and get it all back together and fire it up. Keep your fingers crossed!
2006 GS500F, Cafe Street Fighter Style Conversion, Fenderectomy, Progressive Front Springs, Timing Advance, Lunchbox Air Filter, Rejetted, Smog Equipment Removed

kml.krk

Quote from: galahs on March 12, 2008, 11:37:09 PM
I'm very interested to see how you go with this :)
+1
did you actually did search for law implications?? I mean... it (fuel emmision system) is mouted on the bike for a reason and because of the California Law. What happens if you break the law and they find out??
I'm not trying to scare you   ;)  I'm just wondering  :thumb:

Good luck and keep posting - hopefully one day your thread will be linked in WIKI :)
Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

shuadaddy

OK! WooooHoooo!  :icon_razz:

Bike started up without a hitch and seems to be running great.  :thumb:

The rejet went really smoothly and now the bike sounds MUCH throatier (deeper) when you give it throttle. Not sure if that's from the extra fuel it is getting or because I can just hear the motor better now that I have the new lunch box air filter on there.

It doesn't seem like the removal of the smog equipment has had any negative effect. She looks WAY cleaner now though! There were 2 vacuum lines going from the carbs to the charcoal canister, both of which I plugged. From what I read here, one of the lines (the bigger one I think) can just be routed out with the other hoses, but I removed it and plugged it (pictures soon to come). I am going to ride it around today and see how it goes, then try taking the plug out and routing a line out the bottom of the bike to see if it makes any difference.

The 2 extra hoses that come out of the gas tank I just routed out the bottom of the bike as other users suggested (I think they are just overflows) and that seems to be fine.

As for California law, motorcycles are smog exempt. The have to come from the factory smog legal, but there are no smog inspections done on bikes.
Here is a link to the CA DMV smog page:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

OK I am off for a ride, report and pictures soon to come!  O0

shuadaddy

Well, I have been out riding all day and she is running great! I also started another topic to discuss CA smog laws AND took some pictures  :icon_mrgreen:

Look! You can see right through my bike now!

Here is all the crap I removed:
:2guns:

All in all, I would say that as long as you save the parts (in case of law changes) go ahead and get that ugly ass shaZam! off of there!

Wow, taking out the evap canister really does wonders, huh.  :icon_mrgreen:
The Frogurt is also cursed

GeeP

Ok, so how does the PAIR system work?  On cars there's a rotary vane pump to pump air into the exhaust mainifold.  Is that little box thingy on the right the pump?  Is it electric, or does it rely on the vibration of the engine to oscillate a little piston?

*curious
Every zero you add to the tolerance adds a zero to the price.

If the product "fails" will the product liability insurance pay for the "failure" until it turns 18?

Red '96
Black MK2 SV

kml.krk

nice! I'm glad it's working out for you!
Good to hear that you don't need smog inspections - you won't have any troubles.
And the throaty sound comes from lunchbox. Don't you love that sound  :icon_twisted: I do.
cheers
KaMeL
Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

lamoun

Quote from: GeeP on March 14, 2008, 08:14:31 AM
Ok, so how does the PAIR system work?  On cars there's a rotary vane pump to pump air into the exhaust mainifold.  Is that little box thingy on the right the pump?  Is it electric, or does it rely on the vibration of the engine to oscillate a little piston?

*curious

It works like the fuel valve. The vacuum produced at the intake opens the valve.
When it's open, air flows from the airbox (or open air if it's no longer there  :icon_mrgreen: ) to the exhaust manifold, thus enriching with clean air the exhaust gases.
It doesn't need a pump to do so, because as the gases flow out of the exhaust manifold, a negative pressure builds up, sucking the clean air from the airbox.

scottpA_GS

Awesome job and pics!  :thumb: I removed all the CA stuff from my project bike, now I need some aluminum to make a plug like you did... Nice job  :thumb:

Thanks!  :cheers:

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk