News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Where to get standard rubber brake lines?

Started by Andy73, December 01, 2019, 01:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy73

Hi all,

I'd like to change my brake lines soon and only braided brake lines are available. I would rather stick with original stuff and don't want braided but braided seems to be the only ones readily available.

So the question is where do I get the standard rubber brake lines? Google searches don't seem to came up with anything.

Thanks

BikerBoy

Just curious, why wouldnt you want the braided ones? Seems like you wouldnt have to replace them. I was thinking of getting some myself unless theres some upside to the rubber ones I dont know about.

Andy73

Hey BB.

I'll do a pros and cons as I see it on the braided vs standard as I see it.

Standard
PROS
The standard ones are designed to standards which are perfectly adequate for excellent braking performance
it's what they chose to put on the bike when it was made and what everything is built around as part of a package.,
I'm very happy with the braking performance with the standard hoses.
It is easier to judge hose condition (with braided the braid covers the actual condition of the hose)
Less expensive than braided? Not sure cos I haven't found any for sale yet.

CONS
To some may not look as good as braided. No wow factor.
Possibly more prone to puncture than braided. (If in contact with a sharp object off the road)

Braided

PROS
Good for giving the bike a custom look which may appeal to some people (Or may not)
Possibly less prone to puncture by sharp objects (loose sharp stones, debris on road etc flicking up)

CONS

Steel braided hose will abrade anything it comes in contact with Unless it's covered.
Not as flexible as standard hose- doesn't move as easily with the bike.
Can't tell of the hose condition from the outside
The marketing hype surrounding them acting as if "rubber" hose swells like a balloon when pressurised I think is a load of crap. Hydraulic brake hose is built for a purpose and is made to withstand pressures they are rated for, then a safety factor is put on top of that, perhaps of 3 or 4. I don't like buying stuff that has hype advertising.
Of the braided hoses I have seen advertised there is no data published on the pressures they can withstand unlike standard hoses.

That said if I have no other option and can't find standard replacement, I might have to buy braided.

And oh yeah- the idea that because there is a stainless steel covering over the hose means it doesn't ever have to be replaced is quite frankly dangerous. It's hype create by advertising companies in a multi billion dollar after market parts industry.

These are my views. Plenty of people will probably vehemently disagree with them, but as they are entitled to their views I am mine.

ShowBizWolf

Have you tried the OEM parts sites?

Google searching "OEM Suzuki parts" will bring up some.

motosport.com is my favorite (and believe me, I shop around lol) ;) :laugh:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

The Buddha

With the number of people that may replaced the stock ones, I'm surprised someone hasn't offered theirs so far.
I have some I cant find ,I cant find pretty much anything. I swapped to katana on a few of these.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Andy73

Looking like I'll have to either get some of the very readily available braided variety or get a hose place to make some up.... or just leave them and forget about Suzuki's recommendation  to change them every 4 years.

Bluesmudge

There are no aftermarket rubber hoses as far as I know but places like Bikebandit.com, Partzilla.com, or your local Suzuki dealer will all be able to sell you new OEM brake lines.

The two advantages of braided lines are:

1.) You don't have to replace them every 4 years. You don't need to check the condition of the hose because they last the life of the bike.
2.) Better brake "feel." There is a more direct connection between the lever and the rotor. Not as big of an upgrade as going to a 4 piston caliper but a small improvement nonetheless.

You can get black braided lines if you like the OEM look.

Most high-end bikes come with braided lines so its not marketing hype. Its economics.

profile_deleted

You are welcome to mine if you want them.  I'm removing a set from a 2005 GS500F with 3000 miles as part of a re-build.  Not sure if you are more concerned about the age or the mileage (usage).  These are old (2005) but "young at heart" as per the speedo... lol 

Send me a PM if you want them.

B.   

Andy73

I appreciate the offer but the ones I'll be removing have about the same mileage on them. Very nice of you though! :)

Looks like I'll have to take the bull by the balls and accept I'm ...gonna have to use....... ahem.. braided.

:icon_lol:

Andy73

Thanks to everyone for helping though... it says replace every 4 years in the manual probably overkill, but....

When I was a car mechanic we'd replace them if the outer was starting to develop dryness, splits etc. and you could get replacements anywhere.. as common as a spark plug. Weird that they tell you to replace them every 4 years but they don't have them available.

Ah well- I might get silver ones!!!!!

ShowBizWolf

Maybe I missed it in the thread but why not order OEM ones from the parts sites that were suggested or from a dealer?

My first guess is that the price is crazy... I know some OEM parts prices are just plain silly lol !!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Bluesmudge

Bike Bandit has new OEM front lines for $46.00
HEL sells new high quality braided front lines for GS500 for $49.00

For the extra $3.00 I would go for the HEL stainless braided line that doesn't require replacement every 4 years. The PU coating and steel protect the line from UV and road damage. I've had a HEL line on my front for 5 years and it looks brand new.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk