News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

almost considering a stupid project ...

Started by mr72, July 01, 2019, 10:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr72

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/burnet-05-honda-big-ruckus/6920483306.html

Pros: the Big Ruckus is pretty rare, and I could probably get this one for half what he's asking. It's very simple and parts abundant for the engine, so as long as the CVT or whatever transmission it has works I could probably get it up and running easily.

Cons: it's been sitting likely over a decade. could require a complete engine overhaul to run. and the "rust" may be far more than just surface rust that I can sand and repaint. It was parked in Galveston, where everything rusts.

Another con: I really don't have time or space for another project. And I'd likely never use a 250 scooter like this unless I hauled it to the beach when we go. I bet I'd end up spending more getting it working than I could sell it for if it didn't work out. But it is the rare sub-$500 bike on CL with an actual title.

Watcher

I'd pass, but I'm not a fan of scooters to begin with, the Ruckus especially.

There's a fairly large community of enthusiasts who mod out Ruckus and I look at them like "Seriously!?  Why?"

If you plan to do that sort of thing and stretch it out and put engine mods on it you might find a buyer more willing to pay, but still might not turn a profit.

Unless you for sure want it for you I'd say pass.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

mr72

FYI Ruckus != "Big Ruckus"

A Big Ruckus is a 250cc parallel twin with the same engine as a Rebel or NightHawk 250, much bigger non-step-thru frame, etc.

Living in the suburbs away from the 5th largest university in America and under 2 hrs from the 7th largest, I'm pretty sure I can easily sell a scooter. Ordinary 50cc Ruckuses are super popular among college students around here. That Big Ruckus in proper working order will never be worth less than $2K but getting it into proper working order may cost more than $2K.

qcbaker

My question would be: what are you planning to do with it once you fix it? If you're planning on selling it to break even or make money for another project, I'd probably say don't bother. The Big Ruckus may be rare, but that doesn't make it desirable. If you're planning on using it yourself (or for attempting to convince mrs72 to ride ;D), it seems more reasonable. But I feel like you could buy something like the newer "little" Ruckus and have better luck, especially if it doesn't work out and you find yourself needing to resell it.

mr72

you nailed it, qc.

I doubt I'd ever ride it if I fixed it up. I might sell it but it may turn out to be more labor than love and hardly worth it. and if Mrs72 is going to ride any scooter, I need to find a 150cc+ Vespa in the same basketcase condition for $500, only problem there being it'd cost 3x as much to restore to operation.

Pretty sure I'll just pass. One day I guess some friend of mine will probably call me up, "hey Josh, you know something about fixing up motorbikes, don'tcha? well I was cleaning out my garage and found this old eye-talian scooter that we got when the missus was on some kind of green kick and nobody ever rode it and it's been sitting for so many years, we can't even find the key, and you see, we are moving next month so... you don't have a trailer, do ya?"

IdaSuzi

I feel ya with the projects. I like having a car around to fix up and sell, and have been considering more bikes. There is a sweet TL1000 for sale here and it's a pretty amazing price and condition and I have always loved those bikes
1998 RM125
1995 RM250
1999 Yamaha Banshee (Kind of a bike???)
1993 DR350
2008 GS500F naked conversion, Kat 600 shock, Yoshi Slip On, Progressive Springs, 20/62.5/140 rejet, Fenderectomy, LED Front and Rear Signals

cbrfxr67

I'd be all over that one,...!  Title too?  Sweeet
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

mr72

qcbaker

Quote from: mr72 on July 02, 2019, 01:16:07 PM
that's horrid. but cheap!

Craigslist in a nutshell lol

Bluesmudge

Maybe go look at it and decide then? If it just seems like surface rust and the engine turns over by hand it could be worth a go. I think these still easily sell for $4k+ on craigslist so the potential for profit is there. But I would keep that thing and ride it!
These are sweet, unique, comfortable bikes. I remember looking at these at the International Motorcycle Show back when you could buy them new. Really interesting design and they get 70 mpg.
I have a soft spot for maxi scooters. I've always wanted one of these and a Burgman 650 Executive.

mr72

maybe I will go look at it. It's interesting to say the least. And fixed up it'd be worth $3K+ like you say, so might as well give it a whirl. Plus it'd be very useful to teach people to ride.

cbrfxr67

I'd fix it and ride that thing to work everyday,.... :laugh:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Bluesmudge

None of your motorcycles have a full-height back rest like the Big Ruckus does.

Perfect for some leisure touring.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk