Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

werase643

I think i have less $$$ in my F3 than any one GS
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

The Buddha

He he ... its not an acheivement of skill ... more like an acheivement of memory ... I saw the buell blast tank once ... and 3 years later I saw the GR frame and figured it will fit like a glove ... and it does.
Pics ... yea some time, its crammed in the front of the truck with a bunch of other crap behind it.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

cbrfxr67

Tonite welded in the plugs and ground them down.  Sorry no pics, but I'll get some tomorrow.  Something Shepa mentioned was the airbox and I started looking under the tank, real easy with no engine in the way, and there certainly is a small space there.  Beginning to think about what to do since there is only a small pie slice of space.  First idea is to use the lower airbox piece and then mold in a new top for it under the tank, maybe with a couple of cone filters.  Should be fun trying to figure out this part of the puzzle.  I really don't want to cut into the tank to make room for the airbox.  Also looking for a front end.  No offense but I loathe those stock handlebars on the gs.  I can pick up an F1 or F2 front end set up pretty cheap, but not sure if I'm ready to start messing with that yet.  Wish I had more time in the day.  Tonite we actually got some rain, it was peaceful and serene throughout the neighborhood, oh except for me grinding welds under the carport, sparks flying everywhere!  haha
Before,...
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

tt_four

Project looks great! I just found it for the first time last night.

Have you looked into using individual filters instead of a whole airbox? You might be able to work that out easier than a whole airbox although I know space is still tight on the outside 2 carbs.

A front end swap would definitely look better on the bike with the new gas tank and tail. A good USD front end would look best! I ended up swapping my old tank for one of the new ones, they look much better. You thought about trying to fit a bandit rear wheel so you can get a wider rear tire to match the new tail?? Looking forward to watching the rest of your build!

cbrfxr67

I'm not sure how to incorporate the pod filters.  I know they do it on the sprint cars that use these engines but I've never seen the way they are adapted to the carb.  I should look into that.  And definitely will do a rear swingarm swap eventually.  These tires are in like new shape, but when they get worn out I want to do the swingarm swap.  I already have an F3 swingarm but I believe it is too wide to fit (9").  Also, I'm sure I will do the front end change to get rid of those awful gs handlebars.  Need more time in the day!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

DoD#i

Looking good.

When you get there, if you happen to want a 525 sprocket that fits a GS wheel, the better to match what you probably have for a drive sprocket on the cbr motor, I still have 2 for sale.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=50359.0
1990 GS500EL - with moderately-ugly paintjob.
1982 XJ650LJ -  off the road for slow repairs
AGATT - All Gear All The Time
"Ride a motorcycle.  Save Gas, Oil, Rubber, Steel, Aluminum, Parking Spaces, The Environment, and Money.  Plus, you get to wear all the leather you want!"
(from DoD#296)

cbrfxr67

Thanks for the offer DoD#i.  I'm going to go with a 14t 520 on the front and probably a 40 on the rear.  I have a 50t but I think that will be too much!
-buddha

seamax

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on May 11, 2011, 07:09:06 PM
Before,...

COOL! FYI if you are looking for the an LED bar to fit these holes I got my brake/running/turn signal led bars from Targa Accessories but they have change their website format and I can't find them on there anymore but such sites as this have them...

http://www.chromeglow.com/store.asp?pid=12590

Twism86

Awesome work, keep the updates coming. I always wondered at what point cant you call it a GS anymore?
First bike - 2002 GS500E - Sold
Current - 2012 Triumph Street Triple R
"Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"

Tom

cbrfxr67

Thanks Seamax.  That's exactly what I was going to do, with all (much!) respect to your (amazing!) build.  Got my 600rr seat in today.  It's funny how getting the seat will spur you to really want to speed things up so you can try it out!
-buddha

jeffdodge

Well, get to work then! lol. On a more serious note, its  come quite a way and its looking like its getting there. i cant wait to see video of this thing.

cbrfxr67

Did somemore today.  First tried smoothing out the grand canyon sized holes in the frame from where the lower supports were.  Still some work to do there, but okay for now.  Next went into getting the seat set up and figuring out where to mount the pieces so the seat would sit right and have enough support.  Used my handy unibit to cut holes in the tail faring for later, where I can get the tank off without taking the whole tail off.  I'll put some nice plugs in these holes so they won't be noticeable.

Here's where I was trying to get the seat to sit correctly.  even though it looks like the tail is really long over the tire, it is the angle of the picture.  I'll try to take a pic straight on so the tire vs tip of the tail is clear.  Also the two louvered panels are what I am going to make an undertail with.  With some red leds or something behind the louvres.  They came off a battery charger that went in the trash.  I'm bad about taking pieces off of junk.  You never know when you might use something.

And here's where I quit for the day.  The seat still needs the front mounts aligned and set.  Still have to move the tail around to get it lined up right and I may have to make some small triangular pieces to fit along the seat and frame if there is a space left.  Hope to get more done tomorrow.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Worked on getting the seat finished today.  Sitting position really feels great, well for not going anywhere it does.  The cover rippled up because of the angle.  I'll likely recover it in a heavier material.  I was surprised at how cheap the vinyl is from the stock seat of a 600rr.  Cleaned up the subframe and then primered it.  I still have the rear seat to do, but I don't have one yet.  Got an integrated tail light coming from Hong Kong.  I'm kind of undecided what to do next.  I need to clean up my old engine more and then stuff it back in there and get to the wiring.  I want to build the undertail because I have the idea in my head.  I want to do a front end swap.  Also, need to start fixing that tank; was considering trying to weld in a bung to use the cbr petcock, since I have 4 or 5 lying around.  I've never welded on a tank though, not sure I wouldn't mess it up. 
-buddha

Pelikan

Good day to you!

cbrfxr67

Not much progress this week.  Been caught up in schedules and stuff.  Looking to get on it this weekend, get the engine back in the frame, cleaned up and prepped.  I figure if I get that done I'll be happy.  Got a rear seat cowl coming from hong kong too.  I'll be glad when I can get the back end finished where I don't ever have to take it off again. ha 
-buddha

The Buddha

The 600RR tail IMHO is a bit fat assed for the tank and tire ... pics from straight behind or straight in front or from top - like riders view standing next to it show that quite obviously. So are most sport bikes for a GS IMHO, I've dreamt of the sv ... but well ...
Cool.
Buddha.
I run a business based on other people's junk.

cbrfxr67

Skipped cleaning up the engine and just stuffed it back in there, cleaned up all my grinding dust etc off the frame instead.  Most of my time today was finding bolts that fit well and the washers/lock washers to go with them.  The first time around I just grabbed whatever I had that would work.  Tossed the tail, tank & seat on to take a few pictures of how it looks with the engine in it.  Didn't get to the exhaust or any wiring.  Tomorrow looking to do more.
-buddha

Shepa

Great work man... keep it coming!!!

I'm about to buy that bike I was examining last weekend. Actually, it turns out to be F2 not F3, which IMHO is even better, because the simpler the better.
No throttle sensors/secondary air/solenoid valves and other mumbo jumbo...
I'm only concerned about the airbox and radiator clearance... but...
I'll hang 'em down the sides if there's no other way...  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

SecretAgent

This is really coming together..Good Work!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk