News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Greetings from so cal

Started by pettyburger, February 22, 2014, 11:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettyburger

Just bought my first GS 500, and wanted to introduce myself. My other bike is a 1977 Yamaha RD400D, two strokes of violence and speed.

But the GS is a very nice ride for me, like a docile creature that likes to be ridden. It does not scream like my RD, but she is a joy to ride. I love the wheels and factory tires, the full floating rear suspension, the aluminum frame. It is aesthetically pleasing, even with an ugly fairing.

I found a lien sale here in California. It was advertised as a 2008 GS 500 but when I got it home it is a 2005 GS500F made in Spain with only 2000 very hard miles. I thought I was buying a Japanese bike, but I have been to Spain and love the old Montesas, so I was stoked to get a Spanish Suzuki twin. Spaniards have always been in the market building bikes, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Some idiot painted entirely white over the black, silver and red paint scheme and put a really bad paint job on a perfectly good bike. Whether it was stolen and recovered, or some newbie dropped it on each side and wanted to cover the damage, I don't know. In any event, by all appearances it is barely broken in. They broke the cable and housing for the seat to get at the battery without a key, so I need one of those. The gas tank is damaged and rusted out so I will need a new one of those too before I give it a decent paint job.

It sat in a tow yard and god knows where else for years. 2,000 original miles, but it sat outside so oxidation has set in from exposure. Installed a new Motobatt AGM battery thinking that it would not be a project bike, until the carbs starting dumping gas into the air filter housing, then fuel started coming out of the air filter breather tube.

Dumping fuel everywhere=float bowl needle valves shot. New carb rebuild kits on the way so maybe I can get her to run this week.

Changed the oil but not sure what type of 10/40 people use here. I buy Motul 710 2T oil for my RD at $20 a liter and it lasts me a month. Any suggestions on what good oil would the GS run best on? I have not owned a 4-stroke in 20 years, so I do not know what is up.

What is the general consensus here on what type of oil to use? Synthetic? Blended? Pure Racing Oil with no ash?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, I do not like all the smog stuff on this California bike. I want these Communist/Marxist/Fascist/Totalitarian emissions controls removed from my machine. What are these stupid little pipes coming from the exhaust like that? To trap emissions and cycle them back through aspiration? I hate this merde. Can all this smog crap be cleaned up from the motor and what are the consequences for doing so?

Is it beneficial to remove all the emission controls to increase performance, if not out of principle? Must the state invade every aspect of our lives? Even our sacred motorcycles? I can't even buy real lacquer paint in California to paint my bike because of VOC laws, all the more reason to get some lacquer...I want illegal paint on my bike out of principle. One trip down the street on my 2 stroke beast pretty much eliminates whatever benefit the state seeks to curb VOCs. I want to leave the biggest carbon footprint I can with my machinery.

Also, what if I wanted to get rid of the fairing and go naked up front? Are there kits for that?

BockinBboy

I bet you could fully appreciate a build like this one... RD400 powerhouse meets GS500 frame and handling.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=61832.0

... Emissions PAIR system... is junk... No consequence for removing it other than emissions - so only a problem if your location requires emissions testing.  Just need a pair of block off plates to get it done.

To convert to a naked, you can purchase 7'' headlight and brackets from an 89-00 GS500 (or newer GS500E from outside US), or many 'universal' 7'' lights and brackets will fit also... check FOR SALE section on forum as these pop up relatively often. 

OIL?? ... that's a can of worms around these parts... no consensus here... in fact, it becomes a heated debate... Truth is, any 10W40 for motorcycles is just fine - about the only requirement for oil is that it must be suitable for wet clutches.  After that, the debate gets into what makes YOU happiest (not necessarily whether it actually makes your bike happier) - whether you can justify the cost of high dollar oil is up to you... But fact remains, plenty of these bikes tick over the odo clock with cheap dino oils, and same with high dollar oils - just change and check it often with any oil you use... these bikes are particularly susceptible to bearing damage and other catastrophic failures with low oil.

:cheers:

- Bboy

Sonic Springs, R6 Shock, R6 Throttle Tube, Lowering Links, T-Rex Frame Sliders, SW-Motech Alu-Rack, SH46 Shad Topcase, Smoked Signals, Smoked LED Tailight, ZG Touring Windscreen

pettyburger

Yeah that is one of my best friend's bikes, and he convinced me to buy a GS for the sole purpose of throwing an RD motor in it. But since it only has 2000 miles, I need to ride the GS into the ground, like dress it up and drive cross-country a dozen times. I cannot take a perfectly brand new GS motor and let it go to waste. I have to put 80k on it until the rings go bad and then I can throw an RD or Banshee motor in it.

We are getting ready to paint the beast (designated GSXRD400) and I just got real lacquer paint today, which is illegal in california. No paint shop here will spray lacquer because of the $10,000 fine. Here is what she looks like now. My GS is next in line for a conversion to two stroke power.

Thanks for the tips on removing smog crap and going naked up front. I am going to do that, as long as I am not messing with any special engineering. There is more than one smog system on this bike, much like a car. Are there any detailed posts on how to remove the smog equipment without messing up all the engineering that went into the smog crap? I just want clean aspiration and clean exhaust and remove all the valves and hoses and crap that the evil state makes the manufacturer put on there. Next they will be banning incandescent light bulbs. Oh wait, they already did that.

[attachment deleted by admin]

pettyburger

I want to put Valvoline 10/40 racing oil in my 2005. Since she has only 2000 miles I changed the oil and just put the cheapy Kragen 10/40 in her until I can find Valvoline. I do not need to invest in synthetic oil, but a good racing oil with no ash will keep the sludge out of the crankcase. I am aware of the oil and bearing issues and how much you have to stay on top of the valve adjustment and oil level to make these things go forever. Some old fashioned Valvoline 10/40 Racing Oil would be a good choice for the life of the GS motor?

I have to put 80k on this 2005 I have so I am thinking long term here.

pettyburger

also, consistent with this thread, if anyone likes to ride in the OC area of socal come find me here. I love riding in the rain and wet stuff, like today.

EE

To be fair I didn't reccomend a GS to him just to do an engine transplant. I like the GS's and may get another one sometime but I'm definitely having fun with the GSxRD right now. Ed

jthphoto

Nice bike and paint job. Sounds like your in for the long haul on your GS. I know your in Orange Co. but I'm in Ventura county/ No LA Co. Would like to hook up sometime. I'm dealing with a stalling issue so I'll be asking a friend to help with a valve check soon as my 07 GSF turned 12k miles.
Anyway it would fun to do a run.

[attachment deleted by admin]
'07 GS500F

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk