News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

SOOKIE '99 GS500e

Started by the_63, August 17, 2016, 09:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_63

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on March 11, 2017, 01:08:32 PM
Very excited for you!  :star:

Aww thanks  :icon_mrgreen:

In true 63 fashion though, I want more parts. I want new chain and sprockets, front sprocket -1 tooth and new cush drive rubbers too.  Plus the exhaust, R6 shock and lunchbox filter.

In all honestly it depends on the upper crankcase. If it needs replacing I'll put it into a garage I think. Don't have the expertise to transfer the components myself.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

Not an awful lot to update. I've got my new brake fluid and oil filter, just waiting on the oil. I've also ordered some new spade connectors because the boat connectors I used wouldn't fit through the hole I drilled in the tail plastics, so waiting on those to finish wiring in the indicators, and I've literally just ordered some carbon HEL lines, which should be here for the end of next week. Pumping the brakes on the chain and sprockets for now too.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

Hey twinnerz, quick update on this. Oil came in, I changed the oil and filter, finished wiring in the new indicators on the tail and counted the flash rate, was like 75 times/minute, flash rate needs to be 60-120/minute. Mission accomplished.  :cheers: I recorded the ordeal and plan on posting it to Youtube as a tutorial, kinda prove that having zero mechanical experience doesn't make a difference, a little guidance/advice, a can do attitude and some tools and you can become reasonably competent too, saving you dollar dollar in the long run.

I'm now waiting for my new brake lines, so I can fit them and bleed the brakes, adjust the headlight as best as I can and then it's MOT time.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

qcbaker

:woohoo:

Awesome job, mate. Can't wait to see "*currently offroad :(" get taken off your sig.

ShowBizWolf

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

the_63

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on March 20, 2017, 06:30:41 AM
+1 to that!!! :thumb:

Awesome job, mate. Can't wait to see "*currently offroad :(" get taken off your sig.

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on March 20, 2017, 06:30:41 AM
+1 to that!!! :thumb:

Appreciate your support guys! Just been taking measurements and marking my garage floor and back wall so I can repeatedly readjust my headlight beam if I need to. Will post a video on that too. Just need a spare pair of hands to do the job properly, then a good old fashioned wait until my brake lines arrive. I'm going to surprise my mum for Mother's Day this weekend so project MOT will officially be on hold from Friday.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

I decided to tackle the headlight adjustment today, after filming an oil check video. Got 60% of the way through the headlight adjustment video and my new indicators are impeding the headlight housing preventing proper adjustment.  :technical: I've been thinking on it to come up with a viable solution, the indicators are soldered into the loom so I want to avoid cutting anymore if possible. It seems it's my only option though, cut the wires, add spacers, but the spacers are going to be big and ugly...

Anyway, fast forward a few hours and half a bottle of vodka later (it's Tuesday, students drink on Tuesday) and I'm back in the garage. I like to think about the bike in front of the bike. It helps us bond  :kiss3:

I noticed that my tail light was hella bright and there was almost zero increase with the brake. I connected up the F light and it worked normally, so I connected my makeshift "loom" back up, incorrectly, and poof. No power. At all. It's dead  :nono: Need to locate the fuse and just cross my fingers that's all it was.

Should've just left it alone  :dunno_black:

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

Couldn't leave it. It's the fuse. Will get a new one once tomorrows hangover has cleared. Don't know what to do about the break light though...

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

ShowBizWolf

Omg 63 that SUCKS about the headlight!!!  :technical:  :technical:  :technical:  :technical:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

the_63

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on March 22, 2017, 05:25:43 AM
Omg 63 that SUCKS about the headlight!!!  :technical:  :technical:  :technical:  :technical:

Well I ran out to Halfords earlier and got a new fuse, but the power (electricity) kept cutting out, like the fuse had blown again whenever I turned sidelights/headlight on, but every time I checked the fuse it was still  in tact. I could switch the ignition off, wait 5 seconds and it would work normally again. I checked the battery with a multimeter and it shows 12.75 volts  :cheers:

I checked the turn signals and they were working unaffected and the horn was fine too. Gave the brake lever a squeeze and it cut out. The next time I turned the killswitch on and off went the power again. Fuse still in tact, battery still at 12.75V.  :dunno_black:

Had a look at the bulbs in the tail light because they were the first thing I noticed being wrong last night and one of them was blown. So maybe that's the cause for the fuse blowing too.

Came in the house, had a quick google search, caught up briefly with the house mate who sleeps here for like 2 nights a month and when I got back out the garage and started to video what was happening as I systematically worked my way around the switches, the bike even fired up. Side light works, main beam works, full beam works, turn signals work, horn works, killswitch works, starter button works, front break switch works, foot brake switch works...

WTF?! :bs: My bikes an @$$hole lately!

And I was even thinking about giving her these today:

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

I got a new 20amp fuse, fitted it. Turns out I didn't mess up the wiring, the tail light filament on one of the bulbs had blown, so it was running the power through the brake light instead. After I figured that out I was having issues where the power would just cut out. I tried all my buttons and switches and the indicators and horn were the only things functioning correctly. Took the headlight off, took the tail light off but this didn't have any affect. Put the multi-meter on the battery and that was perfectly healthy. I found 2 non-insulated spade connectors in the headlight bucket which I thought might have been causing the short; I traced their wires up to the ignition barrel which had wires in common with the headlight, tail light and killswitch. Wrapped some electrical tape around these, but the problem remained...left it for half hour and when I came back everything was working again. Sidelight bulb blew so I replaced that then went back out to Halfords for a tail light bulb. New bulb fixed the tail light issue, took a hacksaw to the thread on the right front indicator and that allowed for the headlight bucket to be positioned correctly.

My new brake lines arrived this morning so I have now fitted them. Started to make a video of my install, but that quickly fizzled out because I couldn't hold the brake lever, open the bleed nipple and hold my phone. It took me hours but now I have my new lines fitted.

While I was out at Halfords the second time I dropped in to a bike garage and booked an MOT for next Wednesday (Going back to Wales on Friday to Monday and have class all day Tuesday).

Been a busy ass day. Wiring issues, new bulbs, new brake lines, brakes bled, headlight adjusted, MOT booked. All that's left to do now is arrange insurance and Go around the bike and make sure everything is torqued and tight.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

Bought insurance, starts on Tuesday, ready for Wednesdays MOT. Did a few laps around the block and learned that it's VEEEERY slow to react when I pin the throttle open and the brakes are like pudding.

I don't know how to firm the brakes. I put about 350ml of new brake fluid through the front brake, I tied the lever up in case there was air in the line...

Don't really know where to go from here.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

Going to get some pre-mot pictures to post I think. The bike looks pretty much like I've done nothing, which kinda sucks. I bred the brakes again to try and chase out the poor bite, I think it might be time for new pads. I'll see how the MOT goes.

I've got a couple of leaks too. I can't decide if the high leak is coming from the tach drive, or (if oil can travel up when the bike stationary) the head gasket. The clutch cover gasket is also leaking, not as bad, but it wasn't very long ago that I replaced that gasket, and that cover infact!! :mad:

It's such a nice day, 10oC, partly cloudy, suns really bright; gutted I can't go out for a ride to be honest.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

Is that stator cover wet or dry? I think There's just a massive leak from the tach drive.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

I took the front caliper off to clean, hoping that it would improve the brakes. When I put them back, I forgot the R-clip for the pad retaining pin. So grateful I didn't eat tarmac!!  :bowdown:

Also, to add to the list of gremlins, the in-line fuel filter is just dropping fuel all over the place.  :mad:

Ah well, at least I managed nearly 10 miles :bs:

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

J_Walker

Quote from: the_63 on March 22, 2017, 06:16:06 AM

Well I ran out to Halfords earlier and got a new fuse, but the power (electricity) kept cutting out, like the fuse had blown again whenever I turned sidelights/headlight on, but every time I checked the fuse it was still  in tact. I could switch the ignition off, wait 5 seconds and it would work normally again. I checked the battery with a multimeter and it shows 12.75 volts  :cheers:

I checked the turn signals and they were working unaffected and the horn was fine too. Gave the brake lever a squeeze and it cut out. The next time I turned the killswitch on and off went the power again. Fuse still in tact, battery still at 12.75V.  :dunno_black:

Had a look at the bulbs in the tail light because they were the first thing I noticed being wrong last night and one of them was blown. So maybe that's the cause for the fuse blowing too.

Came in the house, had a quick google search, caught up briefly with the house mate who sleeps here for like 2 nights a month and when I got back out the garage and started to video what was happening as I systematically worked my way around the switches, the bike even fired up. Side light works, main beam works, full beam works, turn signals work, horn works, killswitch works, starter button works, front break switch works, foot brake switch works...

Chris
O0

My fuse kept popping too and I couldn't figure out why and It was making me angry. my bike also an interesting starting issue, it would crank just fine but if you let off the button and it didn't KEEP going, and you pressed the button right away, you'd hear the starter relay click faintly, but then if you let off the button an waited a second, it would turn over just fine.. turned out the starter relay was on its way out, you know.. these things, and R&R are two things that when buying Suzuki's I should just plan on replacing out right. lol
-Walker

the_63

Quote from: J_Walker on April 02, 2017, 12:17:04 AM
Quote from: the_63 on March 22, 2017, 06:16:06 AM

Chris
O0

My fuse kept popping too and I couldn't figure out why and It was making me angry. my bike also an interesting starting issue, it would crank just fine but if you let off the button and it didn't KEEP going, and you pressed the button right away, you'd hear the starter relay click faintly, but then if you let off the button an waited a second, it would turn over just fine.. turned out the starter relay was on its way out, you know.. these things, and R&R are two things that when buying Suzuki's I should just plan on replacing out right. lol

I think it was a short in the headlight bucket. Since I wrapped the bare connectors it's been fine.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

the_63

Today I have been repeating work...Sookie sprang a fuel leak and I can't determine why, or exactly where the leak is coming from, I have a vague area. I've ordered carb seals kits, I though I'd only need one but I've decided in for a penny, in for a pound and ordered a second kit today, first kit is fitted. I also oredered replacement in line fuel filter which came with a meter of hose so I've plonked that on the carb too. Annoyingly I need another diaphragm; the one I installed recently I managed to pinch and crease so I think that's why the bike has been running poorly.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

ShowBizWolf

Hey it's good to see ya back!! Feels like it's been a while since you've been around the forum.... and I'm super glad to know Sookie is back on the road :thumb:

Do you like that inline fuel filter? I have one too and never had any problems with it but I've read countless times on the forum how they are bad to have :dunno_black:

Sucks about your fuel leak issues... hope you get 'em sorted out quick.

the_63

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on April 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM
Hey it's good to see ya back!! Feels like it's been a while since you've been around the forum.... and I'm super glad to know Sookie is back on the road :thumb:

Do you like that inline fuel filter? I have one too and never had any problems with it but I've read countless times on the forum how they are bad to have :dunno_black:

Sucks about your fuel leak issues... hope you get 'em sorted out quick.

Well I was preoccupied with uni stuff after the fuel leak sprang and rather than try to find a solution I decided to lay the bike up again and went to visit my parents for a fortnight over the Easter holidays. Then when I got back from my parents I had a massive exam.

Now that's out of the way I've swapped the carb seals and fitted a new inline filter. I quite like having the filter in place, but the crab that is passing through my fuel lines is a concern. The bike had an inline filter installed when I bought it so when I swapped fuel lines I just swapped in a new filter, the issue I have is that the heat from the cylinder head caused the latest one to distort.

I can't get the bike to run properly atm though, very very low idle, and as soon as I touch the throttle it cuts out. It's too late for me to be trying to figure it out right now I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk