News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Suzi Q Build Thread

Started by Suzi Q, February 17, 2017, 06:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzi Q

Maiden voyage. Something is wrong...can anybody spot it?
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

qcbaker

Missing rear grab bar? Lol.

As for "air vent" flexible T on the carbs, that's the carb breather and there is normally a hose attached to it. I'm pretty sure that before you removed the airbox, the breather hose is routed above and behind it so that air doesn't force itself in there at speed. Though I'm not really sure where you can put it now that the airbox is gone ... :dunno_black:

Suzi Q

Haha I don't understand the fixation on the grab bar. My shift lever is missing in action. :whisper: Rode home in 4th.

Thanks for the info on the T.

Suzi Q

Put a stock shift lever back on there, so she's rideable now. I also named her; she's Ramona.

Additionally, I picked this guy up as the base for my rearset conversion. Have some aluminum at the shop and will get to work shaping them soon.

ShowBizWolf

Cool stuff Suzi!! Been following along :thumb:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Suzi Q

Thanks, ShowBiz! Glad to hear you've settled on a paint scheme. I just learned how to do gel-coat and lay up glass properly, albeit for boats.

The shifter pictured is for a '91 to '93 GSX1100, although I can't much imagine it matters what Suzuki you get parts from. I will need to extend the rod between the lever and the arm, and I'll be switching to 1 up pattern on the swap.

Suzi Q

Showbiz shot me a message asking for sauce on the preload adjusters, so I'm throwing it out here for anybody else that may be interested.

QuoteAlright, so I ordered them direct from Japan.  I was nervous as first because you pay the company, then they order them direct from factory, and then they bill you again for shipping when they go out, but it was legit.  I paid for the "air mail," and I don't remember off hand how long it took to get them, but it wasn't terrible IIRC.  I did some digging around back then and this was the cheapest I could find, but YMMV.  Details:

Part Number: 51351-01D60

Total cost with airmail and shipping: $112.69 for the pair (Feb 2017)

Link: https://www.parts-sale.jp/SUZUKI%2051351-01D60?search=51351-01D60

Endopotential

Are you talking about something similar to this?
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70732.0

With some modification, you can get a set for $20-30
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

ShowBizWolf

My (older model) fork caps looked different than the top ones in that pic you shared Endo (to answer that question finally lol!)

I've been looking around and I did find some cheap ones (preload adjuster caps/bolts) on ebay that were listed to work with the GS500 but sadly they do not. The threads are too big. After sending the seller pictures of the problem as proof, they did refund my money today so yay for that!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

J_Walker

I have older fork caps... I'm at work can't read past 4 post up, with new rubber/plastic "toppers" "Caps"

if someone needs them.

or you can modify them and thread your own adjusters? and if they fail than its no biggie you have your old ones.
-Walker

Suzi Q

I tried ebay with the same results as showbiz.  As to modifying one from a different bike...I don't want to be the one riding when that fails. Have fun though!

Endopotential

I've ridden my modified ones for 1.5 years without any problems.  Fork feels good, no leakage out the top.

As long as you have a good 3/4" of threaded section locking things in, it's hard for me to imagine that cap popping off.
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Suzi Q

Forbsey

Hey Suzi Q, great thread so far, I also have the superbike bars waiting to be installed. Did you drill a hole for the controls or file them off? I'm debating on what route I want to take on this being my first bike and first handle bar swap.

Showbiz, what about you?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

qcbaker

Quote from: Forbsey on April 10, 2018, 04:07:38 AM
I also have the superbike bars waiting to be installed. Did you drill a hole for the controls or file them off? I'm debating on what route I want to take on this being my first bike and first handle bar swap.

I filed the little nub on the controls down. I haven't had any issues with my controls rotating.

Forbsey

Quote from: qcbaker on April 10, 2018, 06:00:09 AM
Quote from: Forbsey on April 10, 2018, 04:07:38 AM
I also have the superbike bars waiting to be installed. Did you drill a hole for the controls or file them off? I'm debating on what route I want to take on this being my first bike and first handle bar swap.

I filed the little nub on the controls down. I haven't had any issues with my controls rotating.
Did you put any electrical tape or anything on the bar?

qcbaker

Quote from: Forbsey on April 10, 2018, 06:50:47 AM

Like I said, I haven't had any issues with the controls moving around, so no. But, that's what I would do if I did have that problem.

Forbsey

Quote from: qcbaker on April 10, 2018, 09:59:43 AM
Quote from: Forbsey on April 10, 2018, 06:50:47 AM

Like I said, I haven't had any issues with the controls moving around, so no. But, that's what I would do if I did have that problem.
Perfect, I might give this a go today 🍻

ShowBizWolf

In my case, it's been sooooo long (and many many many beers ago) since those bars went on that I can't remember what I did lol!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk