News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Exhausts

Started by tobyd, April 20, 2017, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tobyd

evenin,

I have a Nexxen (nexxus?) exhaust on my GS which is a bit shouty, very ratty and could do with a replacement. Are there units available that are a bit like the original but preferably stainless?

Something along the lines of this looks about right. Does a shorter can make for more noise (not so interested in noise) or the opposite? And does anyone know what a 'stubby' exhaust is? Recommendations for UK makers also appreciated!

More used to cars where where there are meters of pipework and its all hidden!

ShowBizWolf

Hiya tobyd !

I'm in the US but when I bought my GS 5 years ago I actually ordered a full stainless exhaust from the UK and I still love it. I didn't need a rejet or anything either. I did a search on ebay.uk for ya and it shows a handful of different options... mufflers, just the pipes... and then down the page are complete systems:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=gs500+stainless+exhaust&_sop=15

I'm sorry I don't know the answers to any of your other questions but hopefully someone else will reply and help ya out :thumb:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

gregjet

I like the look of the first posted one. And a good price.
Delkevic systems tend to be very heavy BUT they also tend to last very well.
I am not overly fond of a 2 into one system on a 180deg twin though. Not good pulse matching. 2 into 2 better but of course heavier and you lose some cornering clearance.

tobyd

Hey, hadn't thought of ebay for these - I was quite taken with those Delkevic systems - especially given those ebay prices. Hadn't really considered weight of 2-1 or anything like that though. I think i'd want to retain the 2-1 look, had a quick google for 2-2 gs500s - has anyone tried this before? Quite liked the look of the black-widow ones too, a bit understated perhaps, might give them a ring and see if they still are available.

I'm surprised the nexxen can is so crusty, not sure how old it is or where its been kept but frame-side its a mess. 'proper' stainless would be a definite win. Not sure if the bike was rejetted for the nexxen, the valve cover gasket is weeping slightly and i want to check the clearances soonish so i might pull the jets then and take a look. the GST carb guide looks pretty comprehensive :)

@ShowBixWolf - which system did you go for and was it from regular stockist, would be great to get a recommendation on somewhere!

toby

ShowBizWolf

I did swap from a stock rusty faded scratched exhaust. The system I bought had no brand name (from what I can remember... and I can't look back cuz my ebay purchase history doesn't go back to 2012)... but it is most similar in looks to this one here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-2-1-Exhaust-System-18-Stainless-Steel-Muffler-Silencer-GS500E-GS500F-89-09-/190893823331?hash=item2c72289563:g:pvkAAOSwHjNV8cr-

EDIT: After looking closer, I see that the Black Widow you posted is the most similar to mine. It has only two parts... a front portion and then the muffler. The Delkevic I linked above is 3 sections. I have to say, I like the idea of that Black Widow better. Wonder if they will get more in... or if you can find them for sale somewhere else online if ya google "Black Widow GS500 exhaust" or the like.

Here's a picture from last summer of mine. The system itself is/was 4 years old and I had just finished polishing it up with Yoshimura Stain-Magic. I have never regretted the purchase :cheers:

Pic of when I got it back in 2012:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

rg500gamma

I wish  Bassani  would make a full system ,  flat black .........     :thumb:
Some people   say  Disneyland  is the happiest place on earth ,  I say  Playboy  Mansion ..............

J_Walker

the 2-2s on the GS500 sound the best hands down. there's a guy locally with one, I see him going to work every now and again, looks like both slip-ons are 2 1/2" ID all the way through, and about 16 inches long, with baffles. they look like ebay cheapies, but it sounds SOOO good, I wanna do it one day, but no way to make my own at this point in time, maybe one day ill get around to doing it.
-Walker

lefty1615

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on April 21, 2017, 01:34:31 PM
I did swap from a stock rusty faded scratched exhaust. The system I bought had no brand name (from what I can remember... and I can't look back cuz my ebay purchase history doesn't go back to 2012)... but it is most similar in looks to this one here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-2-1-Exhaust-System-18-Stainless-Steel-Muffler-Silencer-GS500E-GS500F-89-09-/190893823331?hash=item2c72289563:g:pvkAAOSwHjNV8cr-
oh=f7d44ae97f1ccae064c89371e4fed670&oe=597AB186[/img]

Just FYI looks like the price on delkevics site is much much better.

http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=111961_114434_114579_114580&product_id=28359

I might have to pick this up myself!

tobyd

That two piece looks really nice, for 4 years of use it looks out-of-the-box clean! I'm going to see if Black Widow are likely to be making any more of those 400mm / 18"  (ish) systems for the 500e anytime soon, think that should be exactly what I'm after. The Delkavic one looks to be slightly lighter but I'm not so taken with having an extra piece to seal properly so i'll probably resort to that only if BW aren't going to be bringing their ones back to market any time soon. I'd really like to see how a 2-2 looks on a GS? I did a cursory image search but nothing appeared (other than a twin headlamp model that looked a bit funky), might keep my eyes open around and about to see if anyones gone that way around here, not many other GSses around though...

hah, there are some really smart looking Bassini systems in matt black. All on Harleys which aren't my thing but those look nice!

I looked up the book price of a genuine exhaust on the nearest dealer-style / parts-gateway website - £600 / $750 (wow, the pounds tanked hard...) plus delivery from Germany. Good luck to them at that price...

*update*: Black Widow say 2-3 months......

ShowBizWolf

To be fair, this is what my exhaust looked like after 4 years of use with no polishing or anything. Just the occasional wash. I wanted to see if it would shine again and when I googled "best stainless exhaust polish" or something to that extent, I found a youtube video about the Yoshimura Stain Magic. $30 a tube but I figured what the heck... I'll give it a try. The pic you already saw above is how it turned out after I polished it. Just goes to show that even after 4 years of "neglect", the stainless will still clean up nicely.

rg500gamma

Motad   is out of stock  for the gs500f
Some people   say  Disneyland  is the happiest place on earth ,  I say  Playboy  Mansion ..............

mr72

FYI to the OP that exhaust you posted plus most of the others talked about here will be significantly louder than the stock muffler.

You can get closer to the stock muffler volume level with the addition of a "dB Killer" type thing, like this:
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=112167305955&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps

but of course one that's the right diameter to fit your eventual exhaust system. I can tell you from personal experience that contrary to the internet wisdom these dB Killers DO add noticeable restriction and make a real difference in high-rpm power on a GS500. My suspicion is that my (very loud) Yoshimura muffler is a lot less restrictive than stock and the performance is similar to stock with the dB Killer and much better without, but it's really loud.

A "stubby" muffler is just that. It's a shorter exhaust "can". A motorcycle muffler like these is basically a glass pack in car parlance. It has a perforated tube through the middle where exhaust flows, with fiberglass insulation wrapped around it and a "can" covering the whole shebang. The longer the "can", and the thicker the insulation (that means the bigger diameter "can"), the quieter the muffler will be. The stock exhaust along with the stock muffler on virtually all (maybe all) production motorcycles has an integral "dB Killer" type so-called "baffle" (it's not actually a baffle, but try telling motorcycle guys). This is a smaller-diameter tube that's likely perforated and runs inside the bigger perforated tube concentrically. This forces exhaust gases, and by the way sound waves, to go through the little holes in the inside small tube to get out. As you might expect this reduces exhaust flow at high rpms thus the power loss, but it greatly reduces noise. On my own bike, it's like a 70% reduction in volume. It's the difference between "I can't stand it it's so loud" and "I can't hear it with my visor down".

As you dig into more motorcycle exhaust talk, some guys talk about a "chop", which is where you take a longer muffler and literally cut it shorter. Usually the end cap(s) can be removed and are attached with rivets, at least on aftermarket mufflers. So you can in theory drill out the rivets, pull the end cap off, cut the whole thing shorter with a hack saw or similar tool, then drill new holes for the rivets and put the end cap back on. Bingo, "stubby" muffler. I did this with mine because it was bent from the bike falling over (wind!). I used a sawzall to cut it. Worked fine. Made it somewhat louder. It was too loud before and then way too loud after. I have a dB killer in mine. Might also call it a "hp killer".

Good luck.

ShowBizWolf

Cool info mr72!

Dang I coulda sworn when I read the ads for the BW as well as the Del systems, they included a removable dB killer already :dunno_black: I know the system I bought came with one and I took it out. Still have it in my parts box though lol!

mr72

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on April 27, 2017, 11:04:21 AM
Cool info mr72!

Dang I coulda sworn when I read the ads for the BW as well as the Del systems, they included a removable dB killer already :dunno_black:

I'm sure you are correct. Many have this removable "baffle" either included, or available as an extra accessory (like Yoshi). So if it has one, you can run it and it probably won't be much louder than stock. If you run without it, it will be a whole lot louder than stock, most likely.

AFAIK the stock muffler has a "dB killer" welded in permanently. Likely a requirement for manufacturers to make a street-legal bike. Every bike I've seen is made this way, but I'm no expert.

BTW with the dB Killer mine is not only quieter but sounds pretty crappy. Kind of like a lawn mower up to about 5000 rpm. Or if you "squint your ears", kind of like a Ducati, which also sounds a lot like a lawn mower at low revs. At high revs it sounds like a racing lawn mower if such a thing exists. Or a Ducati :)

Watcher

Quote from: mr72 on April 27, 2017, 11:14:31 AM
BTW with the dB Killer mine is not only quieter but sounds pretty crappy. Kind of like a lawn mower up to about 5000 rpm. Or if you "squint your ears", kind of like a Ducati, which also sounds a lot like a lawn mower at low revs. At high revs it sounds like a racing lawn mower if such a thing exists. Or a Ducati :)

:nono:
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

At high revs it sounds like a racing lawn mower if such a thing exists.

Rule of life # 75830: If it has a motor in it, someone will find a way to race it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_mower_racing

qcbaker

Quote from: Watcher on April 27, 2017, 11:30:37 AM

J_Walker

Quote from: Watcher on April 27, 2017, 11:30:37 AM

as an ex ducati rider, admit.. it rattles up a storm.
-Walker

mr72

Bluesmudge

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk