News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Dyno & Tuning Results

Started by jcooepr, May 15, 2007, 06:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcooepr

The suzuki dealer had a free dyno day which turned into about 600$ for me:)

I got the bike with stock jets and a K&N open filter. It ran like crap so I put in 40 pilots and 135 mains. The bike ran ok on low end but was really lean and straved for fuel aftrer 7k RPM. The chart here is the first run with 135s.

Large pic: http://photo.developerlab.com/albums/userpics/GS%20Dyno.jpg
The service tech offrered to dyno tune the bike for a flat rate of 2 hours labor, so I agreed.  4 hours of work later he said that he can not get the bike to go above 7k without a complete jet kit. (I put in only jets and shimmed the needle). So I agreed to get the Dynojet stage 3 kit and have them put it in on the dyno. Soon after, having spend a couple of hundred already, I decided that I might as well get the V&H exaust. So the dyno chart with K&N and V&H is coming in a few days.

werase643

that free dyno made them some serious jack

and

the tech milked the job and still sold a jet kit and pipe

i'm guessing $150 per HP when it's all done

want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

jcooepr

:) Yeah but the bike needed help.

RVertigo

Sheeeooooosh...  For $600?  :o

Well, I hope it runs like a champ and makes you grin like the top of this building.

The Buddha

K&N filter = 150's ...WTF are you doing ... not reading the FAQ ...
Bike needed a spanking ...
Cool.
Srinath.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

jcooepr

From what the tech told me, he got the bike running well with 150's only up to 7k RPM. It does not go above that. He thinks its because of the needle, that's its not flowing properly when its all the way up.

And its not really 600, its about 300 for the jet kit & labor & dyno runs.  The exaust was my call and I ordered it on my own.  The stock was pretty rusted and scratched up. 

GeeP

I'd like to see the charts as he tunes it in.  I'd also like to hear what the final tune works out to be.  I need to do some mixture tweaking myself.   :)
Every zero you add to the tolerance adds a zero to the price.

If the product "fails" will the product liability insurance pay for the "failure" until it turns 18?

Red '96
Black MK2 SV

Gisser

Quote from: jcooepr on May 15, 2007, 08:06:31 PM
From what the tech told me, he got the bike running well with 150's only up to 7k RPM. It does not go above that. He thinks its because of the needle,

Ahhh, this confirms what I've said from the start--that the K&N Lunchbox with DIY jetting leaves a substantial midrange flat spot.  The GS500 seems to be able to rev through it but under a load there's no power. 

Looks like Dynojet is poised to score a major victory here on GStwin.com.  :thumb:

Wrecent_Wryder

[5
"On hiatus" in reaction to out-of-control moderators, thread censorship and member bans, 7/31/07.
Your cure is worse than the disease.
Remember, no one HAS to contribute here.

WREX

there are cheaper ways to the same end point with that setup (as other have done and suggested), but if you're happy with it and didn't mind the spending, then good on ya.  have fun with it and post up the new dyno!

The Buddha

Jcooepr
You put 40 pilots in a 01+ bike ???
Something smells here ...
DJ - Yea on an 01+ bike, first off they dont do nothing for mids and pilots. So your midrange theory is hogwash.
All I can say is, if tuned right (and that is going to take a few road runs and some patience and some fiddling ith it in winter etc a stock needle and larger main and pilot and mid combo will make you a bike that has no discernible flaws in power.
I know, I have done it. I have also seen bikes come back to me with minor changes made because the owners told me and fiddled with it a little and figured out what works. With someone else doing that with a dyno you have just done all the work, paid big $$$ for it and learnt nothing.
Cool.
Srinath.

jcooepr

seshadri_srinath: The bike is a 94.

The Buddha

OK 40 pilots are right - non bleeds right, and you dont have no mid mains.
150 mains and you didn't get over 7K under load ... OK somehting else is wrong. Diaphragm ripped maybe ... maybe something else.
Screw that mechanic. I'll fix it all for $45 and return shipping if you send me the carbs - guaranteed. I will want the stock needles though, but I think I may have some in my collection to shove in there in case you dont have stock needles.
Flat spot ... my ass ... the mechanics are clueless.
Cool.
Srinath.

nastynate6695

why is everyone against  dnyojet kits... :dunno_white:   what did they do wrong to piss someone off

Gisser

Quote from: seshadri_srinath on May 16, 2007, 05:53:08 AM
DJ - Yea on an 01+ bike, first off they dont do nothing for mids and pilots. So your midrange theory is hogwash.

It's the needle.   And, there's only so much a shim/washer can do.  Maybe generate just enough power to spin the dyno...but then maybe not. :icon_rolleyes:

All I can say is, if tuned right [...] will make you a bike that has no discernible flaws in power.

Discernible to whom?  You can't fool the dyno.  :nono:

Quote from: seshadri_srinath on May 16, 2007, 05:53:08 AMFlat spot ... my ass ... the mechanics are clueless.

I do believe panic is beginning to set in. :icon_razz:   Sure is refreshing to see some real data for a change. :bowdown:

Cool.
Srinath.

jcooepr

The reason i decided to let them do it, is because I figured I'll never be able to get the most of the bike on my own, I was a also worried about running the motor too lean. I plan to keep the bike for a while. Of course 600$ is way more then the original 2 hours of labor flat rate, but what are you going to do, I saved enough buying the bike non running.

The V&H pipes were shipped yesterday, I'll post up the final dyno and setup as soon as it arrives.

DrtRydr23

Bump for curiousity.  I wonder what happened with this guys bike.  I'd really like to see his dyno run with the new set-up.
1997 GS 500E, Black:  Fenderectomy, Superbike bars, progressive springs, Cobra F1R slipon, short stalk turn signals. - SOLD

2008 SV650, Blue, K&N in airbox, otherwise stock

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk