News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

GS500 shock compared to SV650 Shock

Started by gosney_goose, August 08, 2011, 10:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gosney_goose

I recently installed a 2001 SV650 shock on my motorcycle to replace the stock gs500 shock. I did this mostly because I am tall and have long legs and when I have passengers the rear sags like an old lady.

I originally ordered a 2003 SV650 shock, the white one, and it would of took some MAJOR MAJOR modifications. So I just ordered the 2001 shock which is the yellow one.

Now I did have to drill a new hole for the bolt on the shock, but not very much higher than the original hole. I used an electric drill and a metal drill bit (not sure of the size). The shock raised the rear end about 2 inches. I will eventually invest in a longer kickstand because with the raised rear end it leans over quite a bit on the stand.

Here are a few pictures on the transformation of my motorcycle.

First day off the lot (lowering dog bones)                                                                    Put stock dog bones on

With installed 01 SV650 Shock

As far as performance goes. The bike is a little more unstable at lower speeds, but it is just something you would have to practice to master it. I would recommend this shock if you are looking to raise your bike and have patience and a steady hand.  :thumb: Happy Riding!
First bike: 2007 Suzuki GS500F

ben2go

You can cut and thread the side stand for threaded rod and use lock nuts to keep it all together.It's adjustable.Way cheaper if you have the tools,access to the tools,or a friend with the tools.If you cut the 1 inch section out of the side stand, take the two halves to a machine shop,and they will tap the side stand halves pretty cheap.Usually around $15.
PICS are GONE never TO return.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk