News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Gun Owners?

Started by Kijona, May 29, 2012, 10:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kijona

Quote from: Janx101 on August 20, 2012, 11:40:35 PM
eh Kij, not tryin to ruin your fun.... and it might be the photo or just the styling... but that .44 (now that i look at it on laptop with reasonable screen) ... almost looks like the barrel is tilted up.. just a few degrees.... as in.... dropped on its nose by PO? ... would certainly explain cylinder bind and forcing cone issue?!...

hoping its just the photo though ... bent barrel/frame sux!

I bought it brand new. It was the display model at Academy. My guess is people were cowboy'ing it.

The forcing cone issue is to one side, not vertically.

There is sufficient space between the cone and cylinder as well. I'm hoping what it was was the buildup of lead/copper on the face of the cylinder.

Kijona

As heavy as the barrel/gun is, I would guess it would take significant force to bend. Plus, it's hardened.

Kijona

Tell me if you still see it.  :icon_eek:

By the way that is a Ruger P95 stainless.

Clicky for bigger pic.

Janx101

Hrrrm ... As I say it could be just the photo and/or the way the sights are on the .44 giving that illusion of not straight ...  :dunno_black:

But it does not actually take heavy force to bend one .. And not exactly the barrel bends .. It's usually the frame right at the front of the cylinder area ... If the end of the barrel is struck downwards sharply onto a firm enough surface the length of barrel makes a pretty good lever ..

I have done it myself to a S&W mod 19 in .357 .. Just not paying attention and dropped my hand down past a bench top ...  :icon_eek: ... Being a dispose and practicing quick aims etc .

It's the top of the frame that bells upward just a tiny bit

And again I do hope yours is NOT bent .. It was just my initial 'that's not right' reaction bro  :icon_rolleyes:

mister

When I hold a piece of paper on the screen so it is flush with the barrel, it hits/lines-up-with the top of the cylinder out of alignment, and out where the frame and cylinder meet at the bottom. Could be optical illusion.

Having said that, I have done the same with pics of bike forks and they looked off in the pics but were fine in real life, according to the picture taker.

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

Kijona

Quote from: mister on August 22, 2012, 03:18:39 AM
When I hold a piece of paper on the screen so it is flush with the barrel, it hits/lines-up-with the top of the cylinder out of alignment, and out where the frame and cylinder meet at the bottom. Could be optical illusion.

Having said that, I have done the same with pics of bike forks and they looked off in the pics but were fine in real life, according to the picture taker.

Michael

What do you mean? I'm not sure if you're confirming it's off or?

Also, it's a picture taken with my phone. It could be just distortion from the lens.

Huff1371

Don't know if I'm reading this correctly. If you think it's been bent. Measure the spacing on the cylinder all the way aruound. That will tell you alignment on the cylinder. As far as the barrel being bent or the frame (especially on a heavy caliber) warped..... I doubt it VERY VERY much. You should be able to throw that thing off a building and it stay straight. That being said, It's not uncommon for some dumbass to drop it and bend or distort the sights. Not a hard fix, but worthy of using the pistol to bash said dumbass in the head. However, if it is jacked up, contact the Manufacturer. We had a Taurus 92F (Beretta Clone) come in with smashed grip, not allowing a mag to go in. Paid the guy $50 and after contacting Taurus they replaced it for FREE. Regardless of the obvious neglectfull damage. Bu again, I seriously doubt thats the case here.
Friendly fire, isn't. But it's the most accurate. Semper Fi

Kijona

Quote from: Huff1371 on August 22, 2012, 06:39:56 PM
Don't know if I'm reading this correctly. If you think it's been bent. Measure the spacing on the cylinder all the way aruound. That will tell you alignment on the cylinder. As far as the barrel being bent or the frame (especially on a heavy caliber) warped..... I doubt it VERY VERY much. You should be able to throw that thing off a building and it stay straight. That being said, It's not uncommon for some dumbass to drop it and bend or distort the sights. Not a hard fix, but worthy of using the pistol to bash said dumbass in the head. However, if it is jacked up, contact the Manufacturer. We had a Taurus 92F (Beretta Clone) come in with smashed grip, not allowing a mag to go in. Paid the guy $50 and after contacting Taurus they replaced it for FREE. Regardless of the obvious neglectfull damage. Bu again, I seriously doubt thats the case here.

Well, it has actually already been shipped off to Taurus. It's with them now. I described the issue, in detail, both to the guy on the phone and included it on a nice letter I sent in the box.

Let's hope it comes back fixed.

My thinking was that if the frame or barrel or anything on the gun was that easily bent, it wouldn't be able to to withstand the massive force behind the .44 mags. *shrugs* That's just me, though. Wouldn't believe that just dropping it would 'eff it up that much.

You mean PT92? Lol. I get them mixed up too. Why not, though, ya know? It's essentially the same gun and in some ways, I like the PT92 more - especially for the price.

Janx101

yeah.. that taurus frame is pretty fat/strong...and i do really honestly sincerely hope that its just the photo..i DONT want you to have a bent.44 .. though that fix is possible too.... but the 'massive force' theory ... yeah i get that ... but the frame IS designed for force/recoil in a forward backward direction.... the cylinder is designed with radial explosive force strength in mind .. etc etc ..

take a piece of water pipe .. say 1" stuff ... about 12" long ... compressed from the ends its hugely strong but ultimately will distort and bend/break with high force... compressed from the sides and its still very strong but crushable with enough force ... now weld that water pipe at one end to a plate ... yep .. however nice a weld you want ... and then with the plate reasonably secure .. strike at the open end of the pipe with a hammer or 4"x2" ... its still plenty strong.. but a lot easier to damage ..

i did honestly bend the top frame on my S&W Mod 19 ... if it had been the S&W 586 i doubt it would have done the same thing.. as the 586 has the much heavier full length underlug ... just sayin its possible

oh .... and .. 'it was brand new' .. does not match with 'forcing cone issue' or 'copper/lead fouling/buildup' on face of cylinder.. a display model to my mind... might have sticky fingerprints all over it, might have some visible wear at the rear of the trigger from testing/cowboying it as this one does?, might have been a little rough handled ...

but unless it was poorly manufactured to start with or mistreated for the forcing cone problem ... fired often and not cleaned properly each time for the lead and copper fouling ... and knocked around or mistreated in some way for the cylinder timing... then its inherent strength should mean its all A-OK .. yeah?!

oh... and is that a magnaport below the front sight? ... on a 4" barrel?.. . in a .44mag? ...  :icon_eek:

Kijona

Quote from: Janx101 on August 22, 2012, 08:20:56 PM
yeah.. that taurus frame is pretty fat/strong...and i do really honestly sincerely hope that its just the photo..i DONT want you to have a bent.44 .. though that fix is possible too.... but the 'massive force' theory ... yeah i get that ... but the frame IS designed for force/recoil in a forward backward direction.... the cylinder is designed with radial explosive force strength in mind .. etc etc ..

take a piece of water pipe .. say 1" stuff ... about 12" long ... compressed from the ends its hugely strong but ultimately will distort and bend/break with high force... compressed from the sides and its still very strong but crushable with enough force ... now weld that water pipe at one end to a plate ... yep .. however nice a weld you want ... and then with the plate reasonably secure .. strike at the open end of the pipe with a hammer or 4"x2" ... its still plenty strong.. but a lot easier to damage ..

i did honestly bend the top frame on my S&W Mod 19 ... if it had been the S&W 586 i doubt it would have done the same thing.. as the 586 has the much heavier full length underlug ... just sayin its possible

oh .... and .. 'it was brand new' .. does not match with 'forcing cone issue' or 'copper/lead fouling/buildup' on face of cylinder.. a display model to my mind... might have sticky fingerprints all over it, might have some visible wear at the rear of the trigger from testing/cowboying it as this one does?, might have been a little rough handled ...

but unless it was poorly manufactured to start with or mistreated for the forcing cone problem ... fired often and not cleaned properly each time for the lead and copper fouling ... and knocked around or mistreated in some way for the cylinder timing... then its inherent strength should mean its all A-OK .. yeah?!

oh... and is that a magnaport below the front sight? ... on a 4" barrel?.. . in a .44mag? ...  :icon_eek:

My thinking/hoping is that people mistreated it as a display model OR it was defective from the factory. The shavings were about 0.25 thick. It's only off by JUST a hair. I think it's possible the thing just got way too loose from people slamming the cylinder shut repeatedly while it was spinning. The cylinder lock up was quite weak from the start.

The issue with it seizing up only happened after it was fired.

It appeared there was too much material on one side of the forcing cone. I think it just needs to be honed. As far as locking up...possible it's those bits of bullet getting hung up in there. Or, the timing is screwed up from being slammed shut a bunch. Who knows. I can only hope that Taurus figures out what it is.

mister

I cannot speak for you 44, but I know Tikka test fires before being shipped - part of QC and part of Proving the gun shoots Sub MOA out of the box as the text target is shipped with the rifle.

Honda, Suzuki, test ride their bikes in all gears up to redline to make sure they perform.

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

codajastal

I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

GI_JO_NATHAN

Jonathan
'04 GS500
Quote from: POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks.
Get with the program!

Huff1371

PT92.....92F same shaZam!. Well almost. But yeah it was PT92

mister

Do you have the right to self defense via the means of your choosing?  Is gun control merely a monopolization of guns in the hands of the govt? Mikes Adams the health Ranger makes his case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9LWioXYaic

Kijona

Quote from: mister on August 23, 2012, 11:36:05 AM
Do you have the right to self defense via the means of your choosing?  Is gun control merely a monopolization of guns in the hands of the govt? Mikes Adams the health Ranger makes his case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9LWioXYaic

Honestly people need to just stop bitching, at least that's my theory. We're the most liberal with guns as you can find. I can go buy a case of pistols or assault rifles if I want to...not a single eyebrow will be raised.

It's TRUE that the gun laws only hurt law abiding citizens but I suppose...the alternative is that if there was NO gun control, it would be far easier for -criminals- to get a hold of them. Say, for instance, you didn't have to fill out any paperwork or pass a background check to buy a gun. Any-old-body could just walk into a store, buy several dozen guns, then go commit a crime with them.

I don't want just any-old-body having free access to guns. But, as far as trying to control anything ELSE, I believe it's a no-no. I don't like how it's become a class-based ownership when it comes to automatic weapons. It costs a LOT of money to own one. I don't mind the paperwork - it just shouldn't cost as much as it does.

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: Kijona on August 21, 2012, 06:06:05 PM
As heavy as the barrel/gun is, I would guess it would take significant force to bend. Plus, it's hardened.
ill second that. i sell guns @ work. almost sold the rat gun yesterday, wed. also was showing an XDS, man i liked the feel of that weapon. a small gun for a 45 but still felt good. like it would be easy to control. anyone here shot one?
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

mister

Quote from: Kijona on August 23, 2012, 01:18:12 PM

Honestly people need to just stop bitching, at least that's my theory. We're the most liberal with guns as you can find. I can go buy a case of pistols or assault rifles if I want to...not a single eyebrow will be raised.

It's TRUE that the gun laws only hurt law abiding citizens but I suppose...the alternative is that if there was NO gun control, it would be far easier for -criminals- to get a hold of them. Say, for instance, you didn't have to fill out any paperwork or pass a background check to buy a gun. Any-old-body could just walk into a store, buy several dozen guns, then go commit a crime with them.

I don't want just any-old-body having free access to guns. But, as far as trying to control anything ELSE, I believe it's a no-no. I don't like how it's become a class-based ownership when it comes to automatic weapons. It costs a LOT of money to own one. I don't mind the paperwork - it just shouldn't cost as much as it does.

Easier for criminals to get guns?

Have you read anything I've written in this thread?

let me repeat for the hard of seeing and comprehending...

In Australia to buy a gun you need a Weapons Licensed which is issued by the Police. They will not issue a license to you if you have a conviction. To buy ammo you need to present your Weapons License.

With these Tough laws, Criminals have no problems getting hold of guns. guns which, when busted by the police, show no evidence of having been brought into the country.

So, tell me again how gun laws stop criminals getting hold of guns...

Michael

Kijona

Quote from: mister on August 24, 2012, 04:00:57 AM
Quote from: Kijona on August 23, 2012, 01:18:12 PM

Easier for criminals to get guns?

Have you read anything I've written in this thread?

let me repeat for the hard of seeing and comprehending...

In Australia to buy a gun you need a Weapons Licensed which is issued by the Police. They will not issue a license to you if you have a conviction. To buy ammo you need to present your Weapons License.

With these Tough laws, Criminals have no problems getting hold of guns. guns which, when busted by the police, show no evidence of having been brought into the country.

So, tell me again how gun laws stop criminals getting hold of guns...

Michael

Hold on there Hoss.

You misunderstood what I was saying. People are bitching over here, even in Georgia, about gun laws and stuff. Uh...to me, it's VERY easy to buy a gun...how much easier could it be? I don't want there to NOT be a background check to buy a gun, is what I'm saying.

Would you feel good if it was as simple as buying a pack of cigarettes, to buy a gun? I wouldn't. It's not even that difficult in the first place. Here, in Georgia, all you have to do is pass the background check which, to my knowledge, only keeps you from owning a gun if you have a felonious conviction on your record or charges pending against you. Then you fill out an ATF form which takes all of 5 minutes...and you're on your way providing you answered the questions correctly without error.

I don't want to live anywhere where you can just willy-nilly buy a gun without even passing a background check. You know what I mean? The only point I was making is it's pretty easy to buy a gun...why are people complaining about how hard it is to own one? As far as your country is concerned, yeah, it's obviously much more difficult. But I wasn't talking about your country. :P

Huff1371

Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on August 23, 2012, 10:49:15 PM
Quote from: Kijona on August 21, 2012, 06:06:05 PM
ill second that. i sell guns @ work. almost sold the rat gun yesterday, wed. also was showing an XDS, man i liked the feel of that weapon. a small gun for a 45 but still felt good. like it would be easy to control. anyone here shot one?
I'm not sure about the XDS but my regular XD is by far my favorite. Its reasonably priced and shoots better than it needs to for most applications.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk