News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

repairing/restoring exhaust

Started by drduimstra, May 11, 2010, 06:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drduimstra

So I have a stock exhaust that has some rust in it, I was wondering what is the best way to restore it to its original condition?

romulux

In it or on it, like on the headers?  If it's the latter, some high temp paint after cleaning it up as much as you can works fine.
GS500K1

I don't know anything about anything.  Follow suggestions found on the internet at your own risk.

Asym

I just sanded mine down and used stove polish. Much easier than painting because I didn't have to pull off the whole system to paint it.
http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Prod-72-Stove-Polish/dp/B001AWFJTE

Homer

That stove polish is 90% water soluble, by the way. 

You'll have to reapply it after rains and washes. 

sledge

Quote from: Homer on May 14, 2010, 11:03:14 AM
That stove polish is 90% water soluble, by the way. 

You'll have to reapply it after rains and washes. 

How many minutes does it take to reapply?........ small price to pay given the effort saved and the results  :thumb:

Homer

Agreed, it's decent stuff for the price.

Problematic, though, if you keep the bike outside.  
Rain tends to splatter off the ground and wash it off, which leads to flash rust.  
Running the bike to heat the pipes evaporates the water, but it also boils away the stove polish.  
And, if you're using a toothbrush (which is the easiest, I found), the heat melts the bristles.  

Directions say to put it on cold, then buff with a rag, THEN heat can be applied.  

It's why I'm getting my vintage Yosh coated, soon.  

Edit:
Careful with the top.  I always have trouble getting it off.  The only brand I can find have a friction-fitted cap, not screw-off.
When you hold the tube tight enough to get the cap off, it always squirts on my shirt or fuel tank. 
Tried a different method last time, and the 10% that ISN'T water soluble has now stained a 6 foot strip across my patio. 

sledge

Fair comment, can you recommend a hi-temp paint that actualy does what it says on the tin? I have spent the last 25 years looking for one  :dunno_black:

Homer

Believe it or not, I've been using barbecue sauce.  Smells better as it burns off, and doesn't stain my patio. 

I've spent too much on "high temp" paint, as well.  I'm not even gonna bother with the stuff Eastwood sells.  Thought about trying POR-15, but since it's an epoxy, it's probably carcinogenic at high temps. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk