missing bolt/possible oil leak? pics included - please advise

Started by nickxedge, September 21, 2014, 10:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickxedge

Hi there.

This is my second thread on GSTwin and I just want to thank everyone thus far.  I've had my bike just over a month and I love it and the support on this forum is incredible.

Attached are three photos, the first to give a clear shot of exactly what we're looking at, then the second is my issue and the third is the other side.  It's what I assume is a gasket on the top of the motor (crank case?).  The black cover seems to be missing a bolt in the second picture, the third picture shows the opposite side with the bolt on it.  I know this sounds stupid, but can anyone confirm I'm missing a bolt?

I attempted to remove the bolt that I do have (to see what it looks like underneath) but I don't have the right size socket (anyone know the exact size?) and I tried using pliers and channel locks but it was pretty tight and I didn't want to strip it.

After riding it's always a little wet and oily.  It's never pouring out or gushing.  I'm thinking if I am in fact missing that bolt, when I put a replacement in, my "issue" will go away.  I've been checking the oil levels and it's not losing so much that it's noticeable or needs replacing.

Thanks in advance!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Big Rich

That is your starter motor cover. I think the bolt has a 7mm head? But that bolt has nothing to do with an oil leak.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

ShowBizWolf

Here is a picture of mine... yes it looks like you are missing a bolt!  I went to check on mine what size and yup I found that a 7mm socket to fits on there perfect.  Also, here is a link to the parts diagram from Motosport.com (I looked up info for my bike, a 98 gs500e, but I would think that they are all the same?) ... it doesn't appear that there is a gasket under that cover but maybe if you did get a replacement bolt and tighten it down it would solve the leak?  I remember when I was getting oil all over that area and it was coming from my cam chain tensioner.  I would start the bike, let it idle, and it would actually drip right from there so that was an easy thing to find.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/oem-parts/SUZUKI/1998/GS500E/CRANKCASE-COVER

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

prmas

Take the cover off and check for oil underneath. There should be NONE. If there is the "O" ring on the nose of the starter motor is probably perished or broken. As SBW said. oil leaks from the chain tensioner are not uncommon. GENTLY check the retaining bolts for tightness.

Macka

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk