News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

The best deal...EVER.

Started by jestercinti, July 29, 2012, 08:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jestercinti

This one goes out to all of the parts whores.

A week ago, I was at Mid-Ohio vintage days at the swap-meet.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a clear plastic box divided into little compartments.  It instantly caught my eye.  I took a look, and it was valve shims...a lot of them!

I told the seller that I would be back.  I somehow had a set of calipers with me in the car that would determine if they were 29.5mm.  Unfortunately, they were 29.0mm, the ones for Kawasaki, Yamaha and BMW.   >:(

I said, "Thank you sir, but these must be 29.5mm, for Suzuki GS models."  To which he replied, "I have been trying to unload these for a long time.  How's $20 sound?"  I reluctantly handed him $20.

That night, I inventoried what I had.  There were 72 shims ranging from 2.00mm to 2.85mm meticulously inventoried into compartments, labeled, and mainly untouched.  I decided to list on E-Bay, hoping to at least triple my money.  I put a reserve of $60 on the item.

Within 20 or so minutes, my reserve was met.  The price continued to jump $50 at a time.  Tonight they sold for $219.27.  Not bad for a $20 investment.  :woohoo:

So I ask you, what's your best deal?
Bikeless and Broke at the moment...

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: jestercinti on July 29, 2012, 08:28:00 PM

A week ago, I was at Mid-Ohio vintage days at the swap-meet.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a clear plastic box divided into little compartments.  It instantly caught my eye.  I took a look, and it was valve shims...a lot of them!

I told the seller that I would be back.  I somehow had a set of calipers with me in the car that would determine if they were 29.5mm.  Unfortunately, they were 29.0mm, the ones for Kawasaki, Yamaha and BMW.   >:(

I said, "Thank you sir, but these must be 29.5mm, for Suzuki GS models."  To which he replied, "I have been trying to unload these for a long time.  How's $20 sound?"  I reluctantly handed him $20.

That night, I inventoried what I had.  There were 72 shims ranging from 2.00mm to 2.85mm meticulously inventoried into compartments, labeled, and mainly untouched.  I decided to list on E-Bay, hoping to at least triple my money.  I put a reserve of $60 on the item.

Within 20 or so minutes, my reserve was met.  The price continued to jump $50 at a time.  Tonight they sold for $219.27.  Not bad for a $20 investment.  :woohoo:

i buy and sell wristwatches on ebay. as well as from friends pawn shop. from pawn shop i snagged a gucci watch out of hte $5 bin. ( signed gucci btw)  sold that one from israel, bought a half dozen watches. including a swatch chronograph. i got it for 99 cents. ( and 10 shipping lol) so 10.98 to my door. the swatch sold for $62 minues my cost for battery and initial purchase of roughly 2 dollars i came out ahead. VERY ahead
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

GI_JO_NATHAN

Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on July 29, 2012, 08:33:45 PM
Quote from: jestercinti on July 29, 2012, 08:28:00 PM

i buy and sell wristwatches on ebay. as well as from friends pawn shop. from pawn shop i snagged a gucci watch out of hte $5 bin. ( signed gucci btw)  sold that one from israel, bought a half dozen watches. including a swatch chronograph. i got it for 99 cents. ( and 10 shipping lol) so 10.98 to my door. the swatch sold for $62 minues my cost for battery and initial purchase of roughly 2 dollars i came out ahead. VERY ahead
Damn man that's awesome!
Jonathan
'04 GS500
Quote from: POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks.
Get with the program!

Huff1371

I got a saw given to me by my work to just make some room. Sold it for $800, cost about $50 in gas and twelve pack to a couple friends to move it. Helped me get my new Rock River LAR-15
Friendly fire, isn't. But it's the most accurate. Semper Fi

mister

Not my best but some....

1 - acquired boxes and boxes of blank vhs clamshell cases. Phoned a wholesaler to get a price than phoned a video duplicator to offer them the cases. I told him to make me an offer, he lowballedme, I said "you've got to do better than that"and he jumped up heaps. I made a few hundred bucks.

2 - acquired a data cabinet. Found a sparky that instals them, took it around and we did a deal. He then asked me if I could find a buyer for 30 flouro light fittings. He told me his bottom price and said whatever I got above that was my bonus. Another multiple hundreds entered my pocket. My cost... Phone calls and a bit of gas
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

codajastal

My best deal, I told a girl I would marry her if she let me poke her a few times. 24 years later I have 4 great kids and a wife that lets me do whatever the hell I want to.
I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

jestercinti

Quote from: codajastal on July 30, 2012, 10:33:32 PM
My best deal, I told a girl I would marry her if she let me poke her a few times. 24 years later I have 4 great kids and a wife that lets me do whatever the hell I want to.

Now that's funny!  Looks like it worked out for you!
Bikeless and Broke at the moment...

Phil B

Quote from: codajastal on July 30, 2012, 10:33:32 PM
My best deal, I told a girl I would marry her if she let me poke her a few times.

So what did you do when your "few times" ran out?
:sad:

codajastal

I Married her!! Everyone knows married men don't have sex ....... doh
I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

yamahonkawazuki

congrats on a quarter century my friend. they say the first hundred years is the hardest. mom and dad were married going on 35 years when she passed away day before my birthday 3 years ago. they had mutual respect for eachother. that or an open ended death threat so each one did their best not to piss off hte other
".
A proud Mormon

Janx101

Quote from: codajastal on July 31, 2012, 03:42:34 PM
I Married her!! Everyone knows married men don't have sex ....... doh

... beg to differ!!  :icon_twisted: .. but .. for the young studs out there ... an old bloke told me once "when you meet 'the one' lass and think yep this will be my future wife.. its important young fella!.. absolutely vital!! .. that whenever you get a bit before you are married that you put a coin in a jar and keep it safe! , then after you are married .. whenever you get a bit you take a coin out of the jar! ... i guarantee mate that you'll always have some spare change handy!"..

and now i pass along the knowledge to another generation  :thumb:

yamahonkawazuki

helped friend clean out his garage.  after moving hte maserati, and his robbie gordon razor out of hte way,  got to work. ( on day off)  he ordered the plate for my engine, for one of hte motorised bikes, as well as going to order this oen too
http://www.harborfreight.com/predator-99-cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-certified-for-all-states-except-california-68124.html. so i can ride this one while PROPERLY getting the 66cc engine repaired. ordering the rest of parts this coming week. if net doesnt go down again . i see the oight @ the end of hte tunnel and it looks great. can finally give these painful legs a break
".
A proud Mormon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk