News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

I bought a new bike! Keeping the GS500 for now.

Started by Bluesmudge, June 07, 2019, 05:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesmudge

So I was helping a friend look for his first motorcycle or scooter and stumbled upon an ad for a BMW r1150rt at a really good price. I had to buy it for myself. Been missing that big 2-up touring life since I sold my Vstrom 1000.
In case you didn't know, it seems like late '90 and mid '00's formerly expensive sport touring bikes have really low resale value right now. I guess the small market segment that would normally buy one of these bikes is also the type of person that wants and can afford to buy a newer one. You can get a lot of bike for the money if you don't mind lower years or higher miles. Lets just say I could sell my high mileage GS500 for around what I purchased this BMW for.

First day with the bike:

Cat approves:

But GS500 doesn't like to share:

Very different experience from the Suzuki. Boxer engine has ~3 times the power. Nice to sit at 75 mph around 3500 rpm.
I like the low revs, electronically adjustable windscreen, comfy/adjustable seat, fuel injection. I've heard these oil head BMW bikes are top heavy but I really don't notice the extra 200 lbs vs the GS500. Brakes are much better and don't dive like my GS (even with upgraded suspension on the GS).

The top case is too small for my liking (can't fit 2 full face helmets) so I purchased a Hepco and Becker rack so I can move my 50l top case between the Suzuki and BMW.

Really happy to try this thing for the summer. It was so cheap, If I get even a few thousand miles out of it I will feel good. I might get lucky and get a lot of life out of this thing -- the previous owner seemed diligent about maintenance like a typical BMW owner. And whereas we consider 100k miles to be the rare high mileage for a gs500, these BMWs have success stories of 400k+ miles.

But don't worry, I'm not selling my GS500. I've learned before its the bike I keep coming back to.

Watcher

A friend of mine had one of these for a while, it was an ex-police bike.

Felt good, nice and stable, good low end power.
I remember the switchgear being a total WTF experience, way different layout than what is considered industry standard.

Congratulations, Mr. Smudge.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

ShowBizWolf

That is very cool! I like the look of that bike. Love the kitty pic too :cheers: I'm hoping you post more pics!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

mr72

Awesome. Welcome to the Euro bikes snobs club. I'm going to have to start looking for one of those. I bet my dad would love it.

Bluesmudge

The biggest change has been that my wife actually likes riding on the back of the bike.
On the GS she only liked it when we got to some nice curvy roads. The GS can get your blood pumping on tight mountain logging roads. On the BMW she doesn't mind just cruising around.
The BMW is just way more comfortable. My body never hurts riding this thing. I can see why so many police departments chose to ride these.

And the power is unreal. Go to pass a car and boom you are going 90 mph. No downshifting required.
I took my friend for a ride. Even with two fully grown dudes the bike has power and handling to spare. Definitely engineered for 2-up riding. It doesn't have the big change in handling like the GS does when you add a second person.

I think its a good idea to try a different bike every one in awhile. I was getting kinda bored with the GS when I wasn't doing big trips or riding the best roads in the state. For a little while at least I'm back to having fun just cruising around town and making up destinations so I have an excuse to ride the bike for a few more minutes.

I will say the control switches are weird. Mainly the turn signals. Push right thumb for right turn signal. Press again for off. Push left thumb for left turn signal. Press again for off. Once you get used to it, its actually a better system.
There are lights and switches for everything. Fog lights, heated grips, motorized windscreen, gear indicator, fuel and temp gauges. I like it -- comfort, convenience, power, and safety. I guess I'm not a motorcycle purist. Makes me want a Honda Goldwing.

cbrfxr67

that pow-ah!  My gsxr was like that.  Passing or getting out of the way was nothing!  Be really interested in more of your experiences on it!  Good stuff!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk