News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

next bike musings

Started by mr72, October 02, 2018, 02:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr72

So, I'm not really planning to sell the GS. Not yet anyway. But I am becoming a bit more serious about finding another bike, something much newer and more reliable. Something where the majority of the parts were not manufactured over a quarter century ago.

I had initially fixed on a Ducati Scrambler and that may still be in my future. But as a side bar I decided that I might prefer a Triumph, since the Ducati Scrambler kind of feels like a modern motorcycle playing dress-up while the Triumphs feel like evolved and refined classics. I would prefer a 900cc Thruxton air-cooled about 2013-2015 but so far I haven't found one. What I did find today was a 2015 Bonneville Newchurch which I kind of liked quite a bit.

One thing I noticed when comparing the riding position with the GS, which is really one of the big reasons I want a change, is how different they are in unexpected ways. My GS has a wide KX-bend handlebar with some of these set-back risers so who knows how this compares with stock bars, my guess is wider and less sweep angle but about the same pullback and height.

Anyway, compared with the Bonneville, the first thing I really noticed was how much lower the Bonnie pegs are with respect to the seat. They are not really any more forward, if anything maybe an inch. But they are probably 3-4" lower compared to the seat and that's a HUGE difference for me since my legs are quite cramped on the GS.

The next thing I noticed is just how long the GS's tank is. The forward reach is much longer on the GS than the Triumph. I actually think if I wind up with a Bonnie or a Thruxton I'll put a wide more MX-style handlebar with less "pull back" to give a feeling of longer reach, since I don't just have long legs, but I have long arms. The Bonnie felt pretty compact.

I know it's somewhat of a different bike but I did test-fit a new Thruxton R (1200) and also a Street Cup. If it was air cooled I might have been quite tempted with the Street Cup. I like the riding position and feel of these "cafe" bikes more than the Bonnie, to be honest. But I would put a taller handlebar on one for sure. I don't think the "rearset" is that much of a difference, still much roomier than the GS pegs, that's for sure.

Anyway, more bikes to check out. If craigslist sellers would bother to check their emails I might have already bought a Thruxton.

Watcher

If you like that classic style but modern mechanics what about a Kawi Z900RS?

Almost has a ZXR sort of feel to it.  Beautiful looking bikes, and based on the Z1000/Z900 which is time tested, and at least sitting on them they're super comfortable.

I am also thinking of a change of style.  Been on the 2-cylinder middle-weight naked bike train for quite a while (maybe the Buell is an exception), thinking of a different power-plant.  I dunno, I'm just not a huge fan of 4-cylinder power delivery.  They are nice and smooth but I like near-instantaneous torque and with the majority of 4-cylinder bikes I've ridden I don't get that.
I'm thinking 3-cylinders might be an interesting change, so I'm looking for a mid/late-thou Speed/Street Triple.  On occasion I hear some horror stories about electrics or engine issues but it seems to be an exception, not a rule, so I dunno.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

cbrfxr67

chinese grom,...anybody?  oh, no that was just me,... :laugh:

any thoughts on new indians?  ftr1200 looks like muchos fun
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Watcher

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on October 03, 2018, 11:23:25 AM
any thoughts on new indians?  ftr1200 looks like muchos fun

They look amazing, and the numbers look pretty good as well, and even the $13k base price is pretty competitive, but that still puts it out of the affordable range for me, unfortunately.

If they kept the 750cc engine, put a more "budget" suspension on, and knocked off a few grand I'd be looking at it long and hard.

-Neil Peart

mr72

I like the looks of the Kawasaki and also the Honda cb1100 but I want a twin.

Think I'm hooked on a triumph.

Joolstacho

Just a note of caution re: Triumph. Whilst I love 'em -(I have a 750E Bonnie), my kid recently had a Street Triple which was quite troublesome, and parts were hard to get and expensive (in Oz anyway).
I'm running a Suzuki SV650 at the mo' which is a brilliant thing.
Beam me up Scottie....

Watcher

Quote from: Joolstacho on October 03, 2018, 05:03:26 PM
Just a note of caution re: Triumph. Whilst I love 'em -(I have a 750E Bonnie), my kid recently had a Street Triple which was quite troublesome, and parts were hard to get and expensive (in Oz anyway).

Can you elaborate?  A Street Triple is on the table for me, if I have a reason to take it off the table I will.

-Neil Peart

Watcher

Soooooooo, I found something really tempting semi-locally.

It's a Triumph Speed FOUR.  It does have some cosmetic issues from a claimed fall while unloading from a trailer; right side tail plastic is scuffed, right side air duct is cracked, right corner of the fly-screen is cracked, and minor rash on the exhaust.  Also has a ripped seat-cover and could use new turn signals on all four corners.

BUT, from the close-up pics I got there doesn't appear to be any sort of damage to the engine/frame (or it's been corrected already), and I was already able to haggle the seller down to a price bordering no-brainer by putting together an OEM parts replacement list on BikeBandit and sending him the screenshot.

Without directly stating the price, I can basically buy all the necessary OEM replacement plastics, take the seat in to get recovered locally (or source a used one on eBay), get the turn signals from work for a stupid good price, and be under KBB enough to afford a set of tires for it.

I'm hoping I'm not walking into a nightmare here.  I'm not locked in to buy it, but with a 4 hour round-trip to get to it I would be remiss if it turns out I wasted the trip.  So long as it seems mechanically sound I'm likely to buy it, however.  I may even be able to turn a profit on it if it turns out I don't like it.

I love the bike, though, just on sight I was like "Woah, thats cool!"  Still not a big 4-cyl fan, but the way the bike is put together just really draws my attention.  It's almost like a proper sport-bike without plastics.  I mean, it has clip-on bars, it has air ducts that go through the frame, the headlight/dash assembly is attached to the frame rather than the triple-clamps, but it's a naked bike, but it's not your typical naked bike.
It's also this terrible lime-green that is oddly perfect for such a quirky bike, same as this one:

At this point I need someone to talk me out of it, otherwise I'm going to get it, like, tomorrow.

-Neil Peart

mr72

Watcher, I say get it.

Looks like while I am away on a business trip to NYC, my problem was solved for me. The ads have come down for both the Newchurch I looked at on Monday, which I had planned to go test ride when I got home, as well as the '14 Thruxton from the unresponsive seller on CL.

Sooo...

Now I'm kind of torn. I'll keep sort of passively looking for the right air-cooled Triumph, preferably a 2014 or later, preferably a Thruxton but maybe a Bonneville standard/SE/Newchurch. One pops up in the <3K miles and <$6K price and I'll have to go look hard. Currently there's a cheap Bonneville SE for sale locally but it's matte black with a red frame, who on earth wants one like that? No wonder it's cheap. And there are a couple of Thruxtons but why do people immediately remove the fenders? sheesh. Give me one of these that's bone stock or at a maximum has exhaust swapped. I know, big ask. Like my desire to find just the right Ducati Monster 695. If I get really serious I'll look in Houston.

I'm torn because I might want to consider a NEW Street Cup, or even a 2016+ Thruxton R (liquid cooled 1200, lighter and faster with much better suspension). There's a lot of good in the improved 2019 Street Twin range... 67mpg! 74hp! The ergos are fab. A Street Cup would pretty much perfectly fit the bill, except that it's $4K more than I want to spend.

So most likely I'll just make my late October trip on my GS and keep nickel and diming on that bike until the perfect alternative shows up likely in winter. January or February in Austin is the best time to buy a motorcycle anyway, since it's the only time it's cold and rainy. And I'll have a tax refund in my pocket. This is the wise choice any way I look at it.

qcbaker

Watcher, if you're down for a minor resto project, that speed four sounds like a good deal to me. I was gonna suggest that you look into the Daytona 675, but a speed triple/four is a good choice as well.

This thread is making me want to browse craigslist and pine for the GSXR I can't afford just yet...

cbrfxr67

Watcher I say if you have a passion for something, get it!  Although I think your bike now is hard to top, so wth do I know.

qcbaker which gsxr are you looking at?  I'm just about done with my k5.  Ready to finally ride that thing :woohoo:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

qcbaker

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on October 04, 2018, 07:30:25 AM
qcbaker which gsxr are you looking at?  I'm just about done with my k5.  Ready to finally ride that thing :woohoo:

I'm looking to get an '06 or newer GSX-R600 or 750. I just don't have the money on hand at the moment, but I should be able to save up for it by next spring.

cbrfxr67

"I'm looking to get an '06 or newer GSX-R600 or 750"

sweeeeee-eeet.  My 05 has to be the easiest bike I've ever worked on.  The tank hinge is something out of my dreams.
-buddha

mr72

When I get back to town I am going to go on a binge of test rides and dial in my preferences. But I have approval from the wife to take the plunge and buy basically whatever bike I want.

Watcher

Quote from: mr72 on October 04, 2018, 03:53:30 AM
Sooo...

Now I'm kind of torn. I'll keep sort of passively looking for the right air-cooled Triumph, preferably a 2014 or later, preferably a Thruxton but maybe a Bonneville standard/SE/Newchurch. One pops up in the <3K miles and <$6K price and I'll have to go look hard.

Feel like making a road-trip?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2012-triumph-thruxton-965cc/6677558387.html

-Neil Peart

mr72

That's a heck of a road trip. The newchurch popped back up with a lower price. Gonna go see it again and ride it Saturday. It'll be hard not to take it home.

Watcher

Quote from: mr72 on October 04, 2018, 03:03:37 PM
That's a heck of a road trip. The newchurch popped back up with a lower price. Gonna go see it again and ride it Saturday. It'll be hard not to take it home.

Good luck!   :thumb:

I'm officially on the fence leaning towards no on the Speed Four.  Now that I've come down from the excitement of finding something truly unique at not a bad price, a few ugly truths reared their heads.

- It uses an oddball oil filter, and while it's not hard to get, I do need to order it every time I want to change the oil which is a bit of a PITA.
- It has mis-matched rider pegs, so while I am aware of some damaged plastics on one side it has evidence of falling on the opposite side.  If it needs it, a complete set of new plastics destroys the once pretty good value.  Especially since the plastics and pegs are not parts I can't get through work.
- I asked the seller more details about the "needs tires" situation.  They're dry-rot.  Now this is Arizona, if the tires are dry-rot so are, likely, all other rubber components like fuel hoses and electrical boots and such.  On top of that, I'd need to immediately put her up on stands and get new tires on it.  Which leads to the next issue.
- It needs a workspace.  If the tire situation wasn't so dire I could ride it between fixing it, presumably, but if it's going up on stands when it gets home it'll be a proper restoration project and if I had a garage that wouldn't be an issue.  I don't think the apartment groundskeepers would be super happy with me now parking two motorcycles on the patio, nor do I think my room-mates would be quite keen to no longer have their patio as, well, a patio.  As is they tolerate me parking the duck because of a mutual understanding of security and poor parking situations, but a project bike would be pushing it.

So I'm probably gonna pass on it.  Too bad, too, it's a bit of a rarity, even in the condition it's in.

-Neil Peart

mr72

Watcher, I agree a project bike, even if it's an easy project, is going to be tough for an apartment dweller. Kind of a nifty bike though, but I bet you'd rather have a triple.

Watcher

Quote from: mr72 on October 04, 2018, 04:24:54 PM
Watcher, I agree a project bike, even if it's an easy project, is going to be tough for an apartment dweller. Kind of a nifty bike though, but I bet you'd rather have a triple.

Yeah, I think the triple is a fairer compromise between my love of the torquey twins and my want of something "different".

Now, there's a "perfect" Street Triple R I've got my sights on but I need to offload a Ducati Monster first...

-Neil Peart

Joolstacho

Quote from: Watcher on October 03, 2018, 05:34:17 PM
Quote from: Joolstacho on October 03, 2018, 05:03:26 PM

Can you elaborate?  A Street Triple is on the table for me, if I have a reason to take it off the table I will.

Burnt out stator, worn timing chain tensioner, (this was an 09 model, moderate mileage -tensioner possibly understandable with bike at this age), later a mysterious other electrical fault that turned out to be simply a failed plug connector, possibly under-rated for load.
Cost of parts here are higher than equivalent Jap bike parts, and used parts almost impossible to get -we couldn't find a wrecker who had Triumph parts, and they'd be VERY pricey if we could have.
The bike has now been sold.
Beam me up Scottie....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk