News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Next Summer's big trip - Scotland ?

Started by Cal Price, February 07, 2007, 09:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal Price

Last year i went continental, a weekender in Belgium and France and a couple of weeks mainly east of the old "iron curtain" which was great. I have a bit of time available in June and was thinking of going east again but I am torn between that and possibly going up the west coast to Scotland, Skye, Fort William and through the Great Glen to the East coast and then either go North or South depending upon the time available to me and possibly the weather. I never book any accomodation in advance just stop somewhere and find a place, it seems to work. As I have never been North of the border I feel that I should give it a whirl.

I saw Red Phil's pictures from his homeland a couple of years back and it looked great, so the question is, any advice??? should I give Scotland a whirl ? if so what are the things to look out for? pros and cons etc?????
Black Beemer  - F800ST.
In Cricket the testicular guard, or Box, was introduced in 1874. The helmet was introduced in 1974. Is there a message??

hmmmnz

hey, defently give scotland a trip, there are some wicked roads all over the place especially up north,
watch out for the midgies on the west coast, there are swarms of the beasties ready to suck your blood, mu hu ha ha ha,
give me a shout when you come up this way and ill give you the couch or summer house for the night, i'll show you some of the great roads around the borders and edinburgh. :D
pod filters, costum r6 quill exhaust(no baffles)40/140 jets, heavy duty springs, sv650 rear shock, gsxr srad tail, bandit 600 4.5 inch rim with 150 tyre, gsx twin disc front end "1995 pocket rocket"  ridden by a kiwi in scotland

Cal Price

Cheers, I might well give that a go, must confess I never thought if the dreaded midges though, brings back memories of people being eaten alive whilst camping in the English lake district as a kid, way back in the days when you simply pitched a tent by the road, preferably near a pub, wherever you happened to stop. Don't seem to get them here, how is the East coast ???
Black Beemer  - F800ST.
In Cricket the testicular guard, or Box, was introduced in 1874. The helmet was introduced in 1974. Is there a message??

hmmmnz

east coast is great as well, its more big cliffs and sweeping roads, it nice, most of the scotts don't rate them, and always say the west is better,
but i really liked it when i did them,
when i wenty up to the orkney isles for a week i went up the west and back home down the east :D
it was a great couple of weeks :D
pod filters, costum r6 quill exhaust(no baffles)40/140 jets, heavy duty springs, sv650 rear shock, gsxr srad tail, bandit 600 4.5 inch rim with 150 tyre, gsx twin disc front end "1995 pocket rocket"  ridden by a kiwi in scotland

yooblonder

Hey, did this Scottish trip ever happen?

If so, how was it; if not, any plans for this year?

(P.S. I can't believe there are some folk from England and Wales who have never ventured north of the border!!!!!)
Don't use both feet to test the depth of a river.
GS500E/F (1997); CG125 (1995)

theGrinch

I'm going up north in September with 2 mates from Germany.
Did SCO by car in 2002 - can't wait to be back!
A bad day on the bike is better than a good day in the office.
(Nick Sanders - fastest man around the world on two wheels)

My G²S²V²R²

Cal Price

Well it's a long while since the origional post, since then i have done two trips to Scotland with the GF and sadly without the bike but excellent week in Edinburg and another in Glasgow.

So far this summer (2009) on the bike I've done a Belgium Battlefields tour, I'm going to do a week in central France in August using a place my daughter has rented as a base, we have another Belgian trip lined up for late Sept and in early Sept I'm helping to organise a dozen or so bikers from the London/Kent area for a few days in Normandy.

My GF is away for a week soon with her sister and I might go North then as I have recently rediscovered a cousin or two in Yorkshire and I want to visit a village called Sapcote in Leicestershire as family research traces a ten time great great grandfather and about six or seven suceeding generations to that village. I'm thinking maybe Leics, Yorks and then Scotland but I do have quite a lot on at the moment plus I have to take you-know-who to Paris and Barcelona sometime this summer. Phew!
Black Beemer  - F800ST.

yooblonder

Wow cal_price, that's lots of great riding plans.  Safe travels!
Don't use both feet to test the depth of a river.
GS500E/F (1997); CG125 (1995)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk