News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Dyno Jet Stage 1 or Stage 3?

Started by 8_Ball, May 20, 2009, 03:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8_Ball

Ok guys one more question, just got my dyno jet kit in and i have the option of a stage 1 or 3.  I am installing a K&N lunchbox and the exhaust has been drill out according to the instructions on this website.  so which one should i do, the stage one uses 118 or 122, and stage 3 uses 128 and 134?

joshr08

ive always thought you had to do some drilling with the dyna jet kits and that they are junk send it back and get with buddha for the proper jetting i have never heard of anyone have luck let alone likgint ehDJ kit once installed.
05 GS500F
mods
k&n air filter,pro grip gel grips,removed grab handle,pro grip carbin fiber tank pad,14/45 sprockets RK X-oring Chain, Kat rear shock swap and Kat rear wheel swap 160/60-17 Shinko raven rear 120/60-17 front matching set polished and painted rims

Bluehaze

well i had a mechanic install the dyno jet kit stage1 and it works fine. he informed me that if i was going to use the lunch box i could do the stage3. at that time i didnt have the lunch box. i just had the k&n drop in filter.  i dont know what he did though and it did cost me an arm and leg.  in my defense i did it when i was really new to this forum thus had no confidence to do it myself.
2008 GS500F Modification: Fenderectomy. Additional LED Brake Lights. Blue Underlighting Kit. Grills on the Fairing. K&N Drop in Filter. Laser Deeptone 2-1 Exhaust. DynoJet Kit. Rear Kellerman Turn Signal. 14T sprocket. Carbon Fiber Race pegs. SM2 handlebar. 06 R6 Rear Suspension.

ineedanap

I like my dynojet kit.  I almost feel like I have to defend it!!!  :D

I don't know what year your bike is but if it's 89-00 with a lunchbox dynojet suggests the stage 3.  I would guess the 128 main would be pretty close.  Heck, if you're planning on getting a performance exhaust in the future, just throw the 134 in and you won't have to rejet later.   I have a slipon and lunchbox.  I ended up going 134, 2.5 turns on the mixture screws, 40 pilot (pilots don't come in the dynojet kit so find it elsewhere) and I had to move the needle clip down one from where they suggested in the instructions.   (cleaned up a slightly flat spot near 40% throttle) 

you don't have to drill the slides if you don't want to.  They have you drill and tap them to put restrictors in the holes.  I guess it slows down the slide movement when the throttle is whacked open or something like that.  I didn't bother.

I'm happy with the DJ kit.  For the newer style carbs I have no idea if it's any good, but my bike is completely bog free, can idle along in 1st gear in traffic without using the clutch, pulls seamlessly to redline, cruises cleanly at any throttle position, and has very quick throttle response.  I'm not saying to use one, I'm just saying they're not the POS everyone makes them out to be.
My 90 GS500E has spread itself across the nation.

5thAve

If you've already paid for the DJ kit, go ahead and use it.

For anyone reading this and thinking about buying a kit, the stock needle is better when shimmed up with one or two washers, and proper jets are installed to match your setup (stock or airbox or exhaust or airbox+exhaust).

See Buddha for the parts you need and a fair price.  Yes, it's a doo-it-yerself job. Easy.

:cheers:
GS500EM currently undergoing major open-heart surgery.
Coming eventually: 541cc with 78mm Wiseco pistons; K&N Lunchbox; Vance & Hines; 40 pilot / 147.5 main jets; Progressive fork springs; 15W fork oil; Katana 750 shock

VFR750FM beautifully stock.
XV750 Virago 1981 - sold
XL185s 1984 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk