News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Tachometer (cluster) Wiring

Started by profile_deleted, November 10, 2019, 06:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

profile_deleted

Searched and searched but can't seem to find the answer in an existing post... sorry if this question is redundant.  I own several GSs but I guess I've never had the cluster apart (other than bulb changes).  I do have the wiring diagram but still can't seem to figure this one out.  I'm removing the tach from my 2005 GS500 as part of a cafĂ© racer build. All of the wiring in the instrument cluster is clearly listed in my wiring diagram... EXCEPT, on the back of the tach there is one orange one black wire (pretty clearly, they run the tach) but then there is a single black / white wire on the tach side that I can't find on a diagram or determine the function of (not part of the backlit circuit as those wires are clearly marked on the diagram).  Any ideas?? I was thinking ground... but why would that not be on the diagram?  Also, as I may want to put the tach back on some day... any reason I can't just put wire nuts on the wires and tuck them out of the way?  Thanks!     

RedMark

I don't really know, but are you sure the chart is the right year? Newer bikes have an electronic tacho.

profile_deleted

Quote from: RedMark on November 10, 2019, 10:10:00 PM
I don't really know, but are you sure the chart is the right year? Newer bikes have an electronic tacho.

I am assuming I do.  However its not marked... just the one I have seen floating around the forum.  This certainly has an electronic tach.  Maybe my question should be "Does anyone have the wiring diagram for a 2005 GS500F?"   

profile_deleted

So here's what I've got... no tach referenced that I can see (other than the backlight) but the diagram matches everything else on the bike as far as I can tell.  When I Google "2005 GS500F wiring diagram" this is what I get (along with a bunch of junk...lol). 

Kylll

Just had a look in my torn apart GS's wiring diagram.

Seems the black/white cable routs down the the kickstand switch.

Kylll

Based on that wiring diagram it also goes to ignition control unit, starter relay. Seems it's just a common negative.

profile_deleted

Quote from: Kylll on November 13, 2019, 05:28:10 PM
Based on that wiring diagram it also goes to ignition control unit, starter relay. Seems it's just a common negative.

Thanks, that was my assumption as well after of bit of add'l research.  New speedo, etc, is assembled and working now. 

B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk