News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

How To Use The Site's Search Function

Started by Phaedrus, May 01, 2006, 01:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaedrus

I have a section in the the GS500 FAQ titled:

How do I use the search function on GSTwin.com?

However, it is for the OLD software. It does not reflect the "new" software the site is running on, though it is similar.

We seem to have a lot of search experts  :icon_mrgreen: here, so maybe we can compile a list of helpful search tips. Maybe mentioning boolean search terms, how to use quotes, etc?

Any help would be appreciated  :thumb:

By the way, this is what it currently reads and that needs updating:

QuoteThe search function is found toward the top of the page as a navigational link. It will bring you to:

http://www.gstwins.com/forum/search.php

For a basic search, remember the following tips:

1) Type what you are looking for in the keyword box and choose the radio button that says "Search all terms" if you are using more than one word. An example might be if you are using the keywords "suspension upgrades".

2) You can limit your search to General (most likely if you are looking for technical information), or any of the other forums or just search all of them which will yeild the most results.

3) At the bottom where it says "Display Results As.." you will likely want to choose "Posts" as opposed to "Topics".

4) You can make a more custom search using the other features, but this should return the results you are looking for. If not, post a new thread and if it has already been discussed, I am sure someone will point you in the right direction.
Richard died in a motorcycle accident that was at no fault of his own.  We lost a good friend and good member of this board.  Though Rich may be gone, his legacy will live on here.

Photos from the June '06 Northeast GStwin Meet

ajgs500

Lol it is real easy type in the appropriate keywords.  The trick is being smart enough to choose those words. :thumb: :thumb:

pandy

Or, more likely, motorcycle savvy enough. When I first started as a total n00b, I wouldn't have been able to perform searches too well, because I wasn't familiar with a lot of moto lingo. Difficulty with search doesn't mean someone is stupid; it more likely means they're not as knowledgable about motos as they're going to be!   :thumb:

I'm by no means a search expert, but I'll take a look and try to help out with revising the searching instructions if I can find a moment later!
'06 SV650s (1 past Gixxer; 3 past GS500s)
I get blamed for EVERYTHING around here!
:woohoo:

NiceGuysFinishLast

Boolean search:

Enclose something in quotations if you want to find an exact match. E.g., searching for black bike could return something like "I painted my car black and then bought a bike", because it contains both words from the search string, but not together. Searching for "black bike" would return only results where black and bike were in order, adjacent to each other.

Use a + if you want to search for two terms at the same time. + is the AND operator. E.g., Searching black + bike + painting would return more results than just black paint or black bike, and they'll be more pertinent.

Use OR (I assume our new search supports it?) if you want to search for one OR the other (duh). So painting OR black bike would return more results than painting + black bike, because it will return results with painting and the results with black bike, not just one or the other.

I hope that makes sense. If not, tell me, I'll write up a more concise, better worded version for your FAQ.

See, I contribute!  :laugh:
irc.freequest.net

#GStwins gs500

Hang out there, we may flame, but we don't hate.

My attitude is in serious need of readjustment, and I'm ok with that.

pandy

The search function is found toward the top of the page as a navigational link. It will bring you to:

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?action=search

For a basic search, remember the following tips:

1) For the fastest search, type what you're looking for in the "Search" box toward the top of the page and click the "search" button to the right of the search box.

2) For a more advanced search, you can click "Advanced Search" located next to the search box, or you can click on the "Search" radio button under the search box. For the advanced search, type what you are looking for in the "search for" box, and leave the radio button on the default "match all terms" if you are using more than one word. An example might be if you are using the keywords "suspension upgrades". If you want to broaden your search, click "match any words."

a. If you're looking for an exact match, enclose your search words in quotations. E.g., searching for black bike could
        return something like "I painted my car black and then bought a bike", because it contains both words
        from the search string, but not together. Searching for "black bike" would return only results where black
        and bike were in order, adjacent to each other.

b. If you want to search for two terms at the same time, use a +. + is the AND operator. E.g., Searching
         black + bike + painting would return more results than just black paint or black bike, and they'll be more pertinent.

c. If you want to search for one OR the other, use OR. E.g.: Using the terms painting OR black bike would return
        more results than painting + black bike, because it will return results with painting and the results with black
        bike, not just one or the other. If you use the OR function, make sure to capitalize both letters, because if
        you type "or" in lower case, the search function will ignore it.

3) If you know a certain user has posted a lot information about a certain topic, you can perform a search using his/her nickname in the "by user" field. Simply replace the * with the username of your choice.

4) You can limit your search to General (most likely if you are looking for technical information), or any of the other forums or just search all of them which will yeild the most results.

5) Under options, which is beneath the "search for" area, you'll have a choice to "Show results as messages" or  "Topic subjects only". You'll find more results if you choose "Show results as messages." 

6) If you prefer to have more recent responses, change the defaulted "Message age" to reflect your narrower range of days (for example, if you want only results from posts in the last 30 days, choose a range between 0 and 30).

7) If you're not able to find the information you're searching for, if the number of results is daunting, or if you're unsure what terms to use to search, feel free to post a new thread and if it has already been discussed, I am sure another member will point you in the right direction.

8 ) Knowing some history of the site and its users will reveal things like the following:

a. If you're looking for tires, look for posts by GSJack and runsilent (and a few others),
     b. Electrical help - John Bates (and others),
     c. Racers: Bob Broussard, the werace's (there's a few), D-Day (and more),
     d. For general know-hows: Kerry and seshadri_srinath, pablo (and others),
     e. And big helps are: Phaedrus, AlphaFire X5, scratch, starwalt (and many others).

Darnit..I can't do an 8 and a ). 8 + ) = 8)  ...so 8 ) 

ajgs500

Damn Pandy you really put alot of work into that!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

pandy

Feel free to play with it! I figure if Phae likes it, it's a first draft for everyone to add or subtract from.  :thumb:

scratch

When searching use as many words with 4 or more letters, this really helps narrow down the search.  Also, using the longest form of the word helps.  If you know the user, that can be the single best narrowing parameter.

Also, knowing some history of the site and its users will reveal things like:

If you're looking for tires, you look for posts by GSJack (and a few others).

Electrical help - John Bates (and others)

Racers: Bob Broussard, the werace's (there's a few), D-Day (and more)

And, of course, general know-all's: Kerry and seshadri_srinath

Big helps are: Phaedrus and AlphaFire (and many others)

Sorry if I didn't include your name, these are just examples.
The motorcycle is no longer the hobby, the skill has become the hobby.

Power does not compare to skill.  What good is power without the skill to use it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wintermute on BayAreaRidersForum.com
good judgement trumps good skills every time.

NiceGuysFinishLast

I forgot to say that if you're using the OR operator, make sure to capitalize both letters, if you type "or", the search function will ignore it.
irc.freequest.net

#GStwins gs500

Hang out there, we may flame, but we don't hate.

My attitude is in serious need of readjustment, and I'm ok with that.

RVertigo

Quote from: scratch on May 02, 2006, 02:01:36 PMBig helps are: Phaedrus and Alphaphire (and many others)
Post Whoring and generally being a Jackass: RVertigo.

Alphamazing

'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

scratch

The motorcycle is no longer the hobby, the skill has become the hobby.

Power does not compare to skill.  What good is power without the skill to use it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wintermute on BayAreaRidersForum.com
good judgement trumps good skills every time.

Alphamazing

Quote from: scratch on May 03, 2006, 08:44:40 AM
Fixed.

It's funny. Don't worry. Isn't there a guy named phire on here?

Confusion!
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk