News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Modifications: GSF to GSE - Complete! Pictures!

Started by Alphamazing, September 23, 2005, 10:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedShift

Nice job X5.

We in the northern climates are more inclined to go the other way, but I fully understand the appeal of a naked bike.  :thumb:
2001 GS500E, stock except for SV650 Flyscreen, Case Guards, Headlight Modulator, PIAA Super White bulb & 17-Tooth Front Sprocket, BLUE, RED and GREEN LED Instrument and Dash Lights

flyingbeagle71

Hey, that bike's naked.  You could probably look on ebay for some fairings, then...

Just kidding, looks really cool without it's clothes.  The headlight came out great, too.  :thumb:
GS500F in BLUE because that's the COOLEST color!

Alphamazing

After getting used to the fairing and the silence behind it, the wind blast and not seeing anything in front of that guage cluster really makes it feel like a hooligan bike!

Maybe that and the fact I've only got one mirror on there right now, and it doesn't do piddly for me. Anyone have any ideas for mirrors? My only requirement is that they do a decent job and don't look like shiet.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

RVertigo

Quote from: AlphaFire X5Anyone have any ideas for mirrors?
Suzuki Burgman mirrors (The only cool thing on the scoot  :nana: )  They're a lot like the GSE mirrors, but the stem looks cooler...  Two part, rather than a bend.

SV Mirrors...  Stems like above, but round instead of rectangle.

I'm pretty sure just about every other after-market mirror will fit too.

Good think Suzuki left the screw hole for ya' huh?  (They did right?  :?  The GSF I saw had 'em)

Alphamazing

Yeah, they left me the screw holes :), thankfully. I'll check out the SV mirrors and see if I can find some cheap off the SVRider board. I know most aftermarket ones fit, but I was hoping people knew of some brands/models that look and work nicely. I hope mirrors are fairly cheap, I just spent another $100 on a Teknik Lightning jacket.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!

My Name Is Dave

Quote from: AlphaFire X5I hope mirrors are fairly cheap, I just spent another $100 on a Teknik Lightning jacket.

I've got 2 of those, I love them  :thumb:

Dave  :cheers:
Quote from: AlphaFire X5
Man, I want some wine right now. Some pinot noir...yeah, that sounds nice

roguegeek

I absolutely hate the fairings on the F. They they turn a decent looking naked bike into an ugly-as-sin faired bike. Yeah. That definitely is a huge improvement. Rich likey.
Rich - Project: Rich
2005 Honda S2000 | 2006 Honda CBR600RR | 1997 Suzuki GS500E (sold)

TarzanBoy

Ha!  We should have just traded bikes and saved you and srinath a lot of hassle.  My bike went from a butt-nekkid '89 to a fully faired '04 doppleganger!  

It seems that you have done the reverse.  Are you selling the fairings and the other pieces?

Alphamazing

Naw, I'm not selling anything off the '04 (the '92, on the other hand, is in pieces in my garage. All I need to do now is photograph, price, and advertise them). If I do sell the fairings my resale will go down the toilet, and I can't have that.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!

RVertigo

Alphamazing

I need resale. I'm poor and in college (althouth the two usually go together), and I need all the money I can get, especially when I decide to get a new bike. Maybe I'll keep the GS though... or sell it and buy another one, a la RG ;).
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!

RVertigo

:lol: Yeah...  She's on her 3rd GS and posted about "missing" her F...  So, she might just get a 4th.   :lol:

And...  Poor and in college...  Why would you want to sell it and buy another bike?  Another one is just gonna cost you even more money.

And.,.....   Gas isn't going to go down.  50 MPG is pretty good until gas reaches $6.00 or so...

Alphamazing

Well, I figure that I'll eventually get some money from either internships, or whoring myself. We'll see which one pays better. I'm definitely going to get another bike sometime, albeit I have no idea when right now, but eventually...

Maybe I'll turn it into a track bike. I don't know. A new bike is so far away.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!

Alphamazing

So it seems there is a lot of talk lately from beginners looking at the new GS500F models and thinking about getting into motorcycling. I'vev seen numerous suggestions from members on here suggesting to take the fairings off in order to prevent plastic damage in the event of the eventual first drop.

When I bought my bike the fairings already had rash on both sides, so taking them off to prevent that was not an issue for me. My issue was that they looked ugly as sin, as if the nose of the bike was scrunched up. It looked like someone had punched it in the nose, flattening the front and making it tallish and ugly. It kinda reminded me of a KTM 950 Adventure. I also didn't like how the fairing was so wide, sticking out 2 inches from the bike at least. Not only did it limit the use of case guards, but it wasn't even possible to have frame sliders!

The main reason for my conversion, however, was the desire for a naked bike like I had before with the '92. With the Texas heat easily topping 100oF, some wind blowing on me to cool me off was more than welcome.

Naked bikes are just plan sexier.

So, bump for all the newbies!
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!

Stephen072774

I switched my headlight to a clear SV lense ala Pablo's site, much sexier than that frosted glass
2005 DRZ400SM
2001 GS, sold to 3imo

tophyr

It's 100*F in Texas right now?

Jesus do I hate Seattle weather  :cry:

TarzanBoy, do you have any pictures/walkthroughs of how you put the F fairing onto your 89? I have an '89 and I'm interested in doing exactly that. Naked is fun, but not in cold rain.

Alphamazing

Quote from: tophyr on February 27, 2006, 02:54:52 PM
It's 100*F in Texas right now?

Jesus do I hate Seattle weather  :cry:

TarzanBoy, do you have any pictures/walkthroughs of how you put the F fairing onto your 89? I have an '89 and I'm interested in doing exactly that. Naked is fun, but not in cold rain.

Naw, it's not 100 yet, but it'll get there soon enough. High today was mid to low 70s. High for the week is going to be 85o, so even 90+ days are right around the corner.

As for the '89 to '04 F, it was quite a chore for Srinath to do.

From the GS500 FAQ:
QuoteThe short answer is "no".

The fairing on a GS500F mounts to brackets which are bolted onto the frame. The holes these brackets mount to are not present in the earlier models. Also, the upper fairing, where the headlight is housed, is bolted to a tab which is welded onto the steering stem.However, if you've got the time and skill, it can be done.

One such example is GStwin member TarzanBoy's bike, which was converted from an '89 into an '04 doppelganger. However, there are some fitment issues and apparent gaps between the seat and tail cowling, as well as the seat and the frame.

On the 2001 through 2003 models, the task will be much easier, as the body work (minus the fairing) is the same. All that would be required is to drill holes in the correct places in the frame, as well as welding on a tab to the steering stem so that the upper fairing can be bolted into place.

With the 1989 through 2000 GSEs, the task is much more daunting. Not only do you have to do the things listed above, but if you want proper fitment between the fairing and the tank you will need to find a way to adapt the 01+ bodywork to the pre-01+ frame. There are different mounting points for the body work and tank, as well as seat latch differences.

-Courtesy of GStwin member Alphafire
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!

srbphoto

Dear Alphafire

thanks for the information on the fairing removal.  i just got hit while parked and the shop wants $2700.00 to put new fairings on so I suspect the insurance company will total it. I may be able to buy it as salvage and remove the fairings which are expensive. 

stephen r. brown

Alphamazing

Not a problem. It's pretty easy, but finding the headlight setup might be a problem. You could also get your fairings, sand them down, and then custom paint the thing to your heart's desire. :)
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!

annguyen1981

Quote from: AlphaFire X5 on September 25, 2005, 02:37:53 PM
If I sell those fairings, my resale will go to hell. Plus, the fairings aren't exactly in "perfect" condition in the slightest. They aren't cracked, but they are scraped up on both sides (was like that when I bought it). There are places where the paint is just plain gone, too. i.e. there are spots where it's just the black plastic. It's only on the left side lowers, and it's also below a viewing line, but it's still there. The fairing is all bubble-wrapped up and sitting in boxes in our store room (my old bedroom).

I gotta say, though. I did not expect how strong the wind blast would be a 85+ mph. On my old GS I had a windscreen on there, so I guess I'm not totally used to having a true "naked" bike. Despite how ugly that fairing is, it does a great job at cutting through the wind. Depending on how fast I'm going, I feel like I am just hanging on for dear life! :lol: Well, not really, but I think y'all get the idea.

I had my fairings off last Saturday and went to the dealership to pick up some o-rings.  I jumped on the highway, and I was blown away at how much of a difference the fairings made...  That's the last time I ride a naked bike (even tho I still had the upper fairings on)

2007 YZF-R6 - Purchased 7/03/07
2004 YZF-R6 - Stolen 5/25/07
2004 GS500f - Sold to Bluelespaul
Killin' a Kitty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk