News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

What it do from Pennsylvania, USA!!

Started by dkits, January 12, 2020, 02:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkits

Dave here from the greater Filthadelphia area. Recently purchased my first motocycler, a relatively clean 1995 Suzuki, naturally its a GS500e. Got approx 7500 miles on the odo. Rode about 200 miles on it now.

It needs a good bit of TLC, but so far I installed some new and obnoxious looking neon tygon fuel lines on, stapled on a saddlemen saddlehyde seat cover and threw in LED replacements for the dashboard bulbs (somehow forgot to order a blue one for the hi beam indicator).

Got some solid plans for it since I feel all romantic about my first bike, but for now I want to see if I can get it to run damn near perfect in its current mechanical state. Maybe just do a mild rejet for the factory lean setup in the meantime.  Going to try and check out the valve clearances this coming week and maybe test the compression if I can source or borrow a kit.

Couple work buddies and I plan on riding a lot (and hopefully far) these coming warmer months, so I need this steed to be quite reliable! Also will be my main commuter unless there's snow or ice. I'm liking how not as overwhelming working on a motorcycle is compared to my truck - no doubts on getting the  :bstar: Turquoise Terror :bstar: there.

Heres to learning too much from here on out and meeting some of y'all on the forum and in life! I'm down for some meet and greets + ride.

Cheers. https://i.imgur.com/Gibs3HC.jpg

PS - those verification questions don't mess around

profile_deleted

Welcome to the forum and go Philly ! (I lived in Bensalem for a time).  Now I'm down 95 just a bit outside of Baltimore. Headed up to PA in two weeks for the vintage motorcycle show in York though. It's a lot of dirt bikes but also usually some good street stuff there too. It's a pretty big show. Feel free to join us if you'd like.

Great looking bike... don't forget to add a fender-ectomy to that list of to dos if you don't mind a suggestion.

dkits

Coincidently, that's where I'm currently living. A show would be interesting. If I'm around that weekend, I'll have to go. Never been to York. Would also be the furthest ride thus far on a motorcycle. Is there a group of you headed up?

And a fenderectomy is definitely on the list. That plastic monstrosity back there  is quite the beast. But for the most part I really enjoy the lines of the bike, just little cosmetic and performance tweaks are on my mind.

I plan on having the frame and other matches bits powder coated at work next winter. The owner before the dude I bought off had the bike tip over (apparently) and battery acid leaked out over portions of the lower frame. So they then haphazardly sprayed rust converter or who knows what. You can see it in the pic. I bought it anyway - obviously - so we'll see how much I regret it lol.

ShowBizWolf

I'm in PA too, over here in Johnstown (the Flood City)...

...welcome to the forum!!!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

dkits

Alright, that's two from PA! Ahah, right on.

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

dkits

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on January 13, 2020, 10:40:25 AM
Sweeeet,...looking good!

I insist you share how you managed to have the imgur file show up automatically like that. I couldn't link the picture as an attachment originally because it was too large.

But thanks! It's pretty clean, except for portions of the frame.

cbrfxr67

Just right click your picture and select 'copy image location'

paste into text box

highlight that text and click the 'insert image' icon up there to the left

then add a space and 'width=100' after the first img, no quotes

which gives you

The number you can change to choose the size of the picture posted,... and if someone wants to see the BIGGER pic they can
click on it
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

dkits

Very nice, much appreciated. Man, my bike looks a lot cleaner online. That lower resolution sure helps.

cbrfxr67

i post my voyager build on the voyager site and get compliments on it but I'm thinking :dunno_black: it's so beat to hell.  haha

Your 'turquoise terror' is looking great though!  These are spankin bikes.  My last one, uhh before the one I have now,  I commuted 40 miles both ways, daily for quite awhile and it was a blast.  I kept it stock and loved it.  Still miss it. :cry:
-buddha

dkits

Haha yeah I'm just being picky! Grateful that it has started up everytime so far.

I commuted on it to work for the first time yesterday. A most pleasant way to start off the work week!

That's a dope  looking chainguard though. Is that laser cut Al or SS? You're giving me ideas..

cbrfxr67

It was a sweet chain guard!  Adidasguy made them back when and I managed to pick one up.  If you look on youtube he made some great how to videos for the gs.  He passed awhile back but lives on through his love for the gs bikes!

Ebay user the-wicked-wolf offers one out of the UK.  I've thought about getting one m'self.

I love commuting by bike.  The days I can't for whatever reason,...I'm :mad: haha  How's yours running?
-buddha

dkits

That's a shame, I have seen a couple of his videos and the post about his passing. Seemed like a genuine dude.

Can't wait to start putting more miles on the bike, than the truck! It's running not too bad. I replaced the fuel lines on it and then had an issue with it dying out, which led me to think I clogged the gas cap vent since I had the tank upside. Then I went and rode around a bunch a couple days and the issue seems to have cleared itself. I even thought I had a problem with my peacock vacuum previously but it's been running okay since.

Definitely feels lean, so I'd like to tear into the carbs soon. But first I'm checking the compression and valve clearances. Ultimately, for this warm season I just want the bike to be reliable as it can be since I'll be taking some trips.

Also been sitting on a pair of new Metzelers Roadtec tires for a couple weeks too so I'll try and swap them out this weekend.

dkits

Welp, looks like I have about 125psi in both cylinders dry/cold. Hoping it's just a valve adjustment thing.

profile_deleted

Quote from: dkits on January 12, 2020, 03:51:26 PM
Coincidently, that's where I'm currently living. A show would be interesting. If I'm around that weekend, I'll have to go. Never been to York. Would also be the furthest ride thus far on a motorcycle. Is there a group of you headed up?

We usually head up as a group but not on bikes (usually a little too cold).  Looks like it's quite bit further for you though since you'd be coming from Philly.  Send me a PM if you go and we'll get together.

B.     

dkits

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk