News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

HOW TO: 7-Segment LED Gear Indicator

Started by beRto, January 28, 2008, 10:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beRto

Hi Everyone,

I just finished installation of a homemade 7-segment LED Gear Indicator. Sanjay was kind enough to post my pdf instructions to the wiki:

http://cgi.stanford.edu/~sanjayd/gs500/Upgrades/7-segmentLEDGearIndicator

I'd be happy to answer any questions and provide higher-resolution photographs for anyone who is interested in attempting their own.

Regards, Roberto.

Kerry

Well done!  :thumb:  It's nice to have this documented with part numbers, schematics ... the works.

Just one thing about the PDF.  The end of the first paragraph says:

Neutral is not indicated on the display (the OEM neutral lamp is used for this).

but on page 11, with a matching photograph, it says:

Neutral shows up as zero on the display (and the original neutral light turns on).

I'll take curtain #2!  ;)
Yellow 1999 GS500E
Kerry's Suzuki GS500 Page

sanjay

I looked into this about 2 years ago, back when John made one, but I never bothered to finish it.  If there's enough interest for a group buy, I could design a PCB and get it made.  It'll probably be around $50, including the Suzuki part from an 80's GS450.  Yeah I'm still working on replacement high beam covers, but after my qualifying exam next week I should have a breather from school.
'92 GS500.  Sold.
'01 GS500.  Sold.  SM2s.  Progressives (15W).  Woodcraft Rearsets.  K&N Lunchbox.  Yoshi TRS slip-on.  CRG bar-end mirrors.  Pirelli Sport Demons.  Billet Fork Brace.
'07 Monster 695.

GS500 Wiki:  http://wiki.gstwins.com

yamahonkawazuki

Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

ohgood

How many times have I been cruising along and tried to shift up one more time ?

Or cruising along and the buzz from the bars is a little much... only to find I have two more gear left ?

This is a nice idea. Nice photochop too :)

tt_four: "and believe me, BMW motorcycles are 50% metal, rubber and plastic, and 50% useless

Kerry

Quote from: ohgood on January 29, 2008, 04:16:44 AMHow many times have I been cruising along and tried to shift up one more time ?

Or cruising along and the buzz from the bars is a little much... only to find I have two more gear left ?

This is when I find it handy to know how the speedo and the tach compare in top gear.  Not saying the indicator isn't a VERY cool idea, but until I can fit one....  ;)
Yellow 1999 GS500E

RobTheTyrant

Very nice... if I wasn't so lazy I'd do it.  But it seems like a lot work to eliminate merely moving my foot when it's not necessary.  If someone were to ask me if the could do it to my bike... hell yeah, will I take the initiative... probably not.  :laugh:

Very cool though, I admire people with drive!  :bowdown:
Grind the pegs down with asphault!

beRto

Thanks for all the comments and replies!

I agree that this upgrade is mostly cosmetic; after a few hours in the saddle a gear indicator becomes less-and-less valuable. That being said, I built this to show that it could be done and to help out anyone who wants to do the same. So far, I quite like this unnecessary perk!

Kerry, you are quite right about the conflicting statements on neutral. As indicated in the photo, neutral is denoted as zero (0) on the display and the original neutral light is ON. I will correct this in a later revision. Incidentally, false neutrals are identifiable whenever the zero is displayed but the neutral light is OFF.

p.s. any chance this thread makes the sticky or FAQ cut?  :)

Kerry

Quote from: beRto on January 29, 2008, 09:06:27 AMany chance this thread makes the sticky or FAQ cut?  :)

Why didn't _I_ think of that?

So let it be written ... so let it be done.  :)
Yellow 1999 GS500E

The Buddha

BTW the POS'es suzuki made after 1996 dont have the inbuilt 7 position rotating switch.
Cool.
Srinath.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk