News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

For people who like projects and pics...

Started by ShowBizWolf, June 17, 2015, 07:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mennobike

Those are some cool projects! I was wondering about making a mini fairing from wood but I don't want my fairing to decapitate me :whisper:

Showbiz: working for the red cross is pretty cool, too! You're helping people.  :cheers:

I wish I had some more time, I would post how to make a pretty cool ring from an Indonesian coin, but I'm crazy busy right now  :technical: :technical: :technical:

Who else has something?? I know y'all are too easily distracted to work exclusively on your GSs!
I'll have no idea what piece you're referring to unless you include one of the following: Doobly doo, thing-a-ma-jigger, or dibbledy dop.

Beehave

I feel you mennobike lol. Nothing more scary that beautiful piece of wood disintegrate during impact in couple dozens of splinters traveling towards your face. Great thing to talk about later thou - if survived;) and few new scars to impress ladies later on hahaha - you know I am not being serious. Don't you? Lol
I really hope I didn't killed this tread by posting pictures of dinosaurs :D

Mennobike - I really would look forward to see that ring making. Hopefully one day?

ShowBizWolf are you working as phlebotomyst?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ShowBizWolf

Not a phlebotomist, I work in the lab. I label blood, plasma and platelets (last step before it goes to be shipped out by Hospital Services), consolidate, pack and send out tubes to be tested and I also was recently trained to create/separate the double red donations. I actually really enjoy my job and hope I have it for many years!

PS, I hope other people will use this thread to share projects!! But at the very least, I have much more to share about the Spirit so at least there will be that!!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Janx101

ShowBizWolf

A double red is when a person donates enough blood at one time that we can split and get two units of blood out of it instead of just one  :D
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Janx101

ShowBizWolf

It is... I've never donated double reds but I have donated platelets. It truly amazes me that a machine can take blood out, separate the platelets and put the rest back into ya... and it's all to help others! I have learned a lot from this job.

Ok I have a lil bit of time here so more pics and story about my car. All was well, driving around day after day, no worries. One day back in July 2013 I was waiting to make a left turn, totally stopped. Lalala, waiting for traffic to go by and then whammo I was rear-ended. A chick in a Sebring smashed into the PT Cruiser that was behind me and pushed them into me. My only thought was, "...and that's the end of this car." I was a freaking mess.

Even with the huge list of things I had fixed and done for this car, I had always neglected the rear frame rails and bumper like an idiot. 3 years prior to this I had thrown some quick patches on the trunk floor and that was all... my life got crazy after that, new job, moved, moved again, and I never got to give it the attention it needed.

Knowing how bad the frame was in addition to the age of the car I knew it would take a miracle for the insurance company to not total it. I grabbed these pics shortly after it happened and it doesn't look too bad but I will upload the really awful ones later when I have more time...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Big Rich

How bad was that girls eye sight to not see your car?

And somebody is a fan of TMNT....
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Malfruen

I don't have much. But since you offered for people to share here as well, here is one I've had experience with.

Back when I was 16, I bought a Chrysler Galant for $1350, Chrysler imported Mitsubishi's into Australia back in the day. 1.6L aspirated, 4 speed manual, tidy little motor, 1976 model and had done 38,000 k's. Owned by a little old lady who drove it to church and to the shops once a week.

3 years later, at the ripe age of 19, I was driving home on a road I had travelled many times. Doing about 106km/h, when I saw a reddish-brown blur in front of the headlights. Too late. I cleaned up a red kangaroo at full clip. Drove the passenger side fender into the passenger door, which made my partner at the time quite distraught when she couldn't get out, broke the radiator in 4 different places, drove said radiator into the fan, seizing the engine.

The kangaroo was a lost cause, he definitely came off second best in the encounter. We ended up putting him out of his misery on the side of the road with help from a passerby.

First image of damage

Second image of damage

Third and final image

It looked pretty bad, but the frame was still straight, and when we got everything unjammed, the engine turned over and it didn't look like we'd done any more damage than we could see. Repairs began in earnest. I sourced a replacement front end from a guy in town who had a straight wagon version of the car, but "the cook cooked the engine years ago." $250 bucks it was ours. We basically pulled all the front end body work off mine and welded the replacement front end in place. I didn't think at the time of taking pictures.

When it came time to respray the car, we took the paint code back into town to the local Holden (GM) dealership. We had them mix up the paint for us. Once it had started to mix correctly, the guy looked at me and said "I think I f%&ked it up, this doesn't look right." Looking into the tin, I could only laugh, pretty much spot on colour match. In all his 19 years working there, it was the most unusual colour request he'd ever had.

This is how it ended up, this photo was taken a couple of months after the repairs were done. A new radiator, new fan, and some elbow grease later, it was back rolling. It took a total of about a week to go from the top images to what you see above. They sure don't make them like they used to.

After I bought a new car, bringing out my inner bogan buying a 2006 Holden Commodore, my old man decided it would be funny to dump a 5.0L V8 into it, to see if it'd fit. Turns out it did.

ShowBizWolf

They sure don't make them like they used to, you are too right! I love the car and the story, thank you for sharing!!! It reminds me of my first car which was a '75 Plymouth Valiant... same story, owned by a lil old lady and looked darn near perfect. I took great care of it for about 8 years and then sold it to the next (carefully chosen) owner so that I could buy my first bike  :icon_mrgreen:

And Rich... good eye, that's my Turtle Van behind the Spirit  ;)  Omg I know what you mean how could she not see where she was going??  The poor lady with the silver PT Cruiser that got sandwiched between me and the Sebring probably went home that day and her family said, "How many cars did you hit??" after seeing the variety of paint marks on her front bumper lololol taste the rainbow hahahaha  :icon_lol:

crackin

Here is a little project of sorts. Polishing the aliuminium and stainless on my tractor. It's a huge job but i just do a little each day while im "hanging out" (that means bludging).

[attachment deleted by admin]
No matter what i do to it, it's still a GS
It's not how fast your bike is, it's how long you are prepared to hold the throttle on.

ShowBizWolf

Big Rich

Bump. I know this is the "other projects" thread and this is a motorcycle. .... but it's a Honda at least!

Started:

Finished:

I can add more pictures / details later if anybody wants them.

ShowBizWolf

Oh WOW that is killer!!!  Yes of course post up details and more pics  :D  I have been meaning to upload more progress/pics myself but have been lazy I will admit  :oops:

Big Rich

Well, there's over 200 pictures of the Honda. But here's a couple of my favoritrs. First, the "giraffe"  frame (the steering stem is the head, swingarm is the back legs, upper shock mounts are the front legs....):

The rat bike version.... which lasted a couple days:

Big Rich

After the ratty black, it started turning into a cafe bike:

Who doesn't like a burnout video? Not sure if the link will work, but here goes nothing....

https://youtu.be/ae8zaOXqRQw

Big Rich

The dash:

And the other finished picture I have..... I generally don't take pictures of a finished bike, sorry. There was a picture of it in Cafe Racer magazine though (that I can't find):

ShowBizWolf

Rich that is really really cool. What a transformation! I love the dash and those bars... and to have it in a magazine too! How awesome  8)  I keep checking out the front fender too... I am working on a front fender that is shaped like that for my GS.

crackin

That is a sweet looking ride. Nice work. I bet it's fun in the corners.
No matter what i do to it, it's still a GS
It's not how fast your bike is, it's how long you are prepared to hold the throttle on.

ShowBizWolf

Bumpity bumpppp

I am going to add some more progress about my car soon but I have to be on my home computer to do that.

Anyone have any more projects they would like to share?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk