News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Valve Seat on 2004 bike...

Started by 04MTBee, May 23, 2009, 06:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04MTBee

I found out why my bike doesn't go vroommmm....

I bought this bike knowing it needed work.   I took the head off and found the "valve seat was broken and part of it jammed under the valve.   WOW!!!

(Don't know how to post pics here. I see "image" icon, but don't know how...)

Now to the point,  is there a "Valve seat" that can be pressed into the head or do I have to buy a new head?   I already know I have to replace the valve, gasket, and a few o-rings.

If no "valve seats" I guess I have to find a head somewhere???  Can a bike shop install one of these?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

04MTBee

The Buddha

Valve seats are very very hard to swap ...
You also need the valve itself ...

04 head ... I have one ready with 3 angle valve job and decking etc etc ... one and only ... usually I'd trade yours +100 for it ...

But that is a regular head, not one with a bad seat ... in fact these guys I take to dont do seat work or any real technical bike ... I have to figure out whatever ... so OK PM me if you want to have anything like this ...

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

intergalactic

There is a guy here selling a head for $10. I was gonna buy it, but it seems you might need it. But you might have whacked a piston. (Not sure what sort of clearance you have there)  Whech means you MIGHT need a piston and/or connecting rod.

So I'll still buy it,  assuming he will sell it to me, but if you really need it let me know.

Quote from: 04MTBee on May 23, 2009, 06:32:47 PM
I found out why my bike doesn't go vroommmm....

I bought this bike knowing it needed work.   I took the head off and found the "valve seat was broken and part of it jammed under the valve.   WOW!!!

(Don't know how to post pics here. I see "image" icon, but don't know how...)

Now to the point,  is there a "Valve seat" that can be pressed into the head or do I have to buy a new head?   I already know I have to replace the valve, gasket, and a few o-rings.

If no "valve seats" I guess I have to find a head somewhere???  Can a bike shop install one of these?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

04MTBee
1992 GS500E- 40/125 jets, '08 petcock
Aerostich roadcrafter/Sidi Vortice Air/Shoei X-11/Cortech Scarab gloves
SS front line (thanks ineedanap!)
metisse sliders (thanks grayghost) still working on the front motor mount
1992 GSXR600 shock .95kg/mm fronts springs, 20W oil
Yama JN6-F4560-00 filte

The Buddha

Decking the head is a must, else it wont seal. I would just do a 3 angle while in there too.
Cool.
Buddha.
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Onlypastrana199

My gs was the exact same way when I bought it.  I replaced the head (thanks to bob broussard) the valve and the valve guide. Just make sure there aren't any bits of the seat left behind. I paid $100 for the bike, $28 for the head and bob threw in the valve and guide, and now my bike is spiffy. Of course..this was years ago now.  I have not yet found anyone that could press in a new seat. A bike shop can install the new head, but I think you are in for a big bill. Call ahead and ask how much they would charge for something like that.
'93 cf two bros can, alsa cobalt blue custom paint, fenderectomy, repositioned directionals, 15t sprocket, ignition advancer, SM2's, national cycle f-16 dark sport, cbr rearsets - fully rebuilt after a crash

04MTBee

Thanks for the feedback about my engine problem.    I got my bike very cheap as well.

I am in negotiations for a re-worked head and valves.   Once I get that part,  I will do the work myself.  I bought the manual and have all of you folks...

I am gonna replace the top end gaskets and the oil, too.

04MTBee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk