News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

GS500GS?

Started by Nudie, December 27, 2017, 03:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nudie

Yes I did consider spacing it out a bit to reduce buffeting, both my BMW and my brothers Triumph Tiger have a gap at the bottom of the screen for that purpose. But its still a work in progress. I'm getting sick of looking at it, so it's time to move on to something else, like removing and replacing the rear bodywork maybe.

Nudie

Well, I won't be stuffing around with the rear bodywork. After removing it I realised that the L/H side would be easy, but the R/H side would be a heap of work for little gain. What I wanted to do was slim it down to make fitting pannier racks a bit easier.

But making new, slimmer bodywork would mean moving all of this stuff.

For the amount of work involved, it's just not worth it. If I was trying to make a super special Rallye bike I'd put the work in, but I'm making a $500 bike a bit more suited to adventure riding with the aim of raising money for charity, not win the Dakar race.

gregjet

The mounts for the rear handle are quite strong and make a great base for a real rack . If you remove the stock rear plastics it allows you to use the nice narrow rear frame to mount rack, paniers or fuel containers uquite close in. That plus there are a heap of fastening points on the frame already.

Bluesmudge

I think the GS500 rear end is a lot thinner than it looks. If that makes any sense.
I have a Hepco & Becker rear pannier rack with 30L side cases that look enormous from the back but when I actually measure the distance from the centerline of the bike they don't stick out any farther than the bar ends of my handlebars.

Nudie

If I did take off the rear bodywork I'd really only lose about 40-50mm each side, so I'm not worried about it. I will be using the pillion grab handle mount for the rear rack. First I've got to finish my home made pipe bender. It's been a work in progress for a while now.

sam95

Hi Nudie I realy love your mod.

I whish to modify my own gse the same way.

Is it possible for you to make a drawing with the size for your footpegs lowering plate ??
Also what material do you use and what thickness ?

Thanks
Sam

Nudie

Hi Sam, yes I can draw you a plan. I'm away from home until probably Wednesday, so I hope you can wait til then and I'll measure it up for you. The material is 10mmx100mm aluminium stock with 25mmx25mm aluminium stock for the spacer. I started by roughly measuring it all up, then making a plywood template to ensure everything fits. Then cut the final shape in ally.
I hope that helps.

sam95

Great,

So first thing I have to do is supply some aluminium.

Nudie

Well I got a bit done over the last few days. Finally got around to getting a rear tyre. So its finally off the work stand. Fitted a new chain and sprockets too.

Footpeg brackets painted and fitted along with crash bars.

The side stand was way too short since the bike was raised about 80mm. So I had another stand laying around and chopped the two to make a longer one.

Splashing a bit of paint on it makes it almost look like I haven't had my way with it.

Sorry Sam95 I haven't had a chance to draw up a plan for the footpeg brackets yet.

Nudie

Started making a dash panel to mount the new digital gauges, switches etc.

I went with a plastic sheet for the dash because that's what I had here. Mounted the digital dash too.

Ne0n

Looks awesome!
Totally like a travel enduro :D
~ ride hard ~

sam95

It looks  very  nice.

I received  aluminium  last  week.  I  hope to  make  my  modification in july.

Nudie

Hi Sam, I'm sorry that I haven't had a chance to post any details of the brackets I made. Work has kept me really busy lately. I can't believe they expect me to EARN my pay :dunno_black:
I'll try and get on to it this week.

mr72

you might check out the mesh sides I made over in my project thread, could be a solution for covering the side gaps and the reg/rect etc. while keeping the profile down. And it was pretty easy and very cheap.

Inverse

Quote from: Nudie on June 09, 2018, 03:53:14 AM
Started making a dash panel to mount the new digital gauges, switches etc.

I went with a plastic sheet for the dash because that's what I had here. Mounted the digital dash too.
where did you get the rpm from? i got from the same cable than in stock but they are not very accurate sometimes

Nudie

For a he moment I've picked up the tacho signal by wrapping the signal wire around the L/H spark plug lead. No idea how accurate it is yet because I haven't had it running. Fingers crossed it will be okay.

Nudie

Quote from: sam95 on July 01, 2018, 06:10:13 AM
It looks  very  nice.

I received  aluminium  last  week.  I  hope to  make  my  modification in july.

Hi Sam, I'm sorry that I haven't had a chance to draw up a plan of the brackets but I've been away a lot working. I haven't even been riding as much as I normally do!
However if you look at the photos that I've posted you can work out easily what I've done. I started out by making plywood versions first to see how it would fit. Even if you draw them up and cut them out of cardboard to get the measurement correct then plywood it might be easier.

Nudie

Just in case anyone is still interested, I rode it around the block yesterday! Bike feels really good. Everything works, lights, brakes the lot! Engine is smooth and quiet, all gears engage and no unusual noises. I was a little wary because I never rode the bike before I started pulling it apart and working on it. But I'm really happy now. Next weekend I'll pull it back apart and send the bits off to be painted and after that I'll get a few more photos up. :woohoo:

cbrfxr67

rocking update!  Can't wait to see it finished!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Nudie

Well I'm ecstatic! Ive got the bike registered and took it out today for its maiden voyage (so to speak).

Everything works as it should and nothing as it shouldn't. I'll be doing a few more shake down runs to confirm reliability and fuel consumption etc. But for now I'm really happy with it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk