News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Tribute to Addiasguy

Started by Donnie, September 15, 2014, 04:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnie

After reading the untimely news of Patrick it prompted me finish the GS 500F project that he inspired me to do.
First I have to dig into my memory files to thank all that had something to do with this project.

1.) Weedahoe for the F fairings and headlamp housing
2.) Chuck81 for the 2 custom side case covers and front fork brace
3.) ADIDASGUY for the inspiration!!! and following items...
      A.) Custom GS500, stainless steel chain guard
      B.) 1989 low rise hanle bars and fork mount
      C.) lower headlamp and harness
      D.) aluminum rear brake resivor cover with susuki S on it
      E.) suggesting to put on Gimbel rear sets
      F.) guiding me to the people who make the GS500f rim stickes from United kingdom
      G.) many misc. braces and brackets
      H.) suggesting to replace rear shock with the right one to improve performance and match the red theme of the bike
      I.)  AND FOR ALL THE KINDNESS AND GUIDANCE THAT ONLY HE COULD PROVIDE SO SELFLESSLY!!!!!!!!!!

For all that are unfamiliar with this bike let me go back a little...
It started to out to be a naked gs500e. I then replaced the frame with a 2007 f frame and sandblasted it and repainted and cleare coated it. Bought new gas tank to replace the old rusted out one.  After that I stripped the engine paint and repainted it. Installed performance cams and had carbs flow jetted and polished. Respringed and installed dampening valves in front forks. Replaced rear shock with R6 shock. Replaced side case covers with chuck81 billett aluminum S covers. Also got S billett aluminum front fork brace from chuck81. Replaced rear view mirrors with a sleeker style and smaller turnsignals. Installed German Gimble rear sets with red accents. Updated chain guard with patrick style stainless steel one. Installed zero gravity tinted front windshield. Replaced high rise handle bars with 1989 low rise ones compliments also of Patrick. GS500F rim decals from United Kingdom and new faing decals. I pain stakingly stripped and painted every square inch of this bike including every nut bolt,sprockets,hubs and front brake rotor. Many parts had to powder coated to withstand the heat in certain areas. All fuel lines and brake lines have been replaced along with new wheel bearings and brake pads. Also replaced all wrist pin bearings in swing arm and shock mounts. The shock mount has also been replaced with solid aluminum one instead od stamped steel one. I,m sure there are many things I have forgotten to mention but I,ve covered the most of it. I,ve been through a lot of personal things in the past year and this project got put on the back burner until a month ago when I learned of Patrick .... I have to say that if I had not heard of his early departure I probably would not have finished what he inspired me to start. His attention to detail is what I was shooting for only because he set the bar so high for all of us.... That is why I call this bike My Tribute To Addias Guy! Thank you so much Patrick for everything you did for me and so many others.... We will miss ya always....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Big Rich

Great looking bike, sir. I don't believe I've seen that style paint before - is it a stock paint job or custom?

And I believe you meant "selflessly".
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Donnie

Yea Big Rich, I'm not too good on grammar... No, this is stock 28v 1990 red from susuki. the decals are how ever special made to be white with black spears instead of black with white spears. I haven't been on the forum for a long time, can't believe what has happened since my absence....

Big Rich

Wasn't trying to scold you or anything. Heaven knows my grammar teacher and I didn't get along very well....

Either way, fantastic bike. And Patrick was certainly one in a million.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

ShowBizWolf

Wow that is a really sharp GS... I LOVE the red!!!  :rstar:  ...and how ya did the rotor too.  I pictured what it would look like if the white and black decals were reversed and I definetly like how you have them.  More pics plz!!!  :laugh:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

AlexT

Bike looks so clean. How much did the custom fairing decals run you? The stock ones are pretty expensive and I feel like I could draw it up and have it custom cut for much cheaper.

Donnie

Quote from: AlexT on September 16, 2014, 09:03:41 AM
Bike looks so clean. How much did the custom fairing decals run you? The stock ones are pretty expensive and I feel like I could draw it up and have it custom cut for much cheaper.

Actually I don't know exactly how much they would cost but I can find out. My son has a decal business on the side and he made them up for me. He scanned them off the yellow F version with the black decals....

Donnie

OK, I changed the pics. around a little and added some new ones.....

ShowBizWolf

Boy does that look sharp... the white wheels with the decals, the bike in red with the rotor and bar ends, the mirrors from the front... really clean bike Donnie  8)
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

bombsquad83

How did you do the E rear panels with the F Fairing?  Did you have to fab your own brackets?

AlexT

Yep, please let me know!

Quote from: Donnie on September 16, 2014, 10:27:08 AM

Actually I don't know exactly how much they would cost but I can find out. My son has a decal business on the side and he made them up for me. He scanned them off the yellow F version with the black decals....

Donnie

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on September 16, 2014, 02:27:57 PM
Boy does that look sharp... the white wheels with the decals, the bike in red with the rotor and bar ends, the mirrors from the front... really clean bike Donnie  8)

Thanks alot Wolf. It's been a year in the making but I finall got the gs500F I always wanted. It ended up costing over $700.00 more than a 1990 cost new but in the end it has been worth it. Heck I even get nervous riding it and Have security camars on it while I sleep... LOL    :icon_eek:

Donnie

Quote from: AlexT on September 16, 2014, 07:38:33 PM
Yep, please let me know!

Quote from: Donnie on September 16, 2014, 10:27:08 AM

[/quote

No problem Alex. I just sent him a text to see what it would be. I'll get back to you soon...

Donnie

Quote from: bombsquad83 on September 16, 2014, 07:00:50 PM
How did you do the E rear panels with the F Fairing?  Did you have to fab your own brackets?
It wasn't to bad. I measured to E frame brackets height the took a cutting wheel to the F frame brackets and rewelded them to the right height. From there it all mounted up nicely.... I tried to keep something of the E version with the F version just to have something a little different than the run of the mill look of a normal GS500F....

bombsquad83

Quote from: Donnie on September 16, 2014, 08:02:35 PM
I tried to keep something of the E version with the F version just to have something a little different than the run of the mill look of a normal GS500F....

Definitely.  It's actually what I like most about this build.  It's what I think Suzuki should have offerred as an option in 1989 on.  A naked model, and a more sporty faired model with clip-ons, deeper rearsets, and the fairing.

Donnie

Quote from: bombsquad83 on September 17, 2014, 05:50:13 AM
Quote from: Donnie on September 16, 2014, 08:02:35 PM
I tried to keep something of the E version with the F version just to have something a little different than the run of the mill look of a normal GS500F....

Definitely.  It's actually what I like most about this build.  It's what I think Suzuki should have offerred as an option in 1989 on.  A naked model, and a more sporty faired model with clip-ons, deeper rearsets, and the fairing.

I have the 3 different rise heights of the clip-ons. I've been using the lowest ones but tonight I stripped down, painted and clear coated the mid-rise hieght ones to see if it would take a little pressure off my wrists. My age and previous job occupation is causing my rt. hand to go to sleep every once in a while on 50 mile plus rides. My son has been begging me for the low rise ones anyway so we'll see how it goes....

Donnie

Back from the re-tune bench and can't wait to hit the street !!!!    :woohoo:

jacob92icu

I could have sworn I posted on this build thread. I absolutely love the color combo! Very well done.
I am into buying bikes that people have given up on and fixing them up!

RIP Patrick Lajko, I miss you man.

Donnie

Up For Sale..... Any Offers ????

TheGreenWeenie

Quote from: Donnie on April 17, 2016, 11:08:55 AM
Up For Sale..... Any Offers ????

I really hate to ask, but any chance you'd let the chain guard go all on it's lonesome?

first time seeing this bike and you did a bang up job man. Good luck with the sale reguardless.

1996 GS 500E
2016 XSR900

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk