News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Need repair advice: My beer fridge broke.

Started by Dom, March 31, 2005, 10:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dom

:(

Sad day in Dom Town...one of the metal hoses in the back of my fridge was snapped in half by a fast moving projectile and all of the Freon hissed out of my precious little beer fridge.  Repairing the hose isn't the part that I have a question about.  I was wondering if there's a way to reintroduce the Freon to the system.  Any advice would make my summer a heck of a lot cooler.

Thanks, Dom

Anonymous

You SHOT your refrigerator?

Anyway.  You can usually braze in a piece of tube to fix the leak.

Now, to do it right and have it last.  You'd want to install a "moisture collector" because water is the enemy to refrigeration innards.  In fact, depending on whether you "shot" the low or high pressure side you might be able to just insert it where the break is.

Then, IF it's set up to be serviced you should be able to refill it wil oil/refrigerant.  Some are NOT made to be serviced and you may have to chuck it.  Or do a lot of work to get it to be refillable.

I'm no expert here, maybe an HVAC guy or a refrigeration mechanic can give you more info.

Good luck!

Dom

I was thinking about some way to use the freon from an AC refill bottle for cars...seems like you would just solder on a fitting that will accept the bottle, put a petock on one end of the tube and a petcock on the tail end and blow the freon into it with both petcocks open then close them at the same time trapping the freon in the system.   :dunno:

davipu

hurry, quick, bring the beer before it warms up

Dom

"Low pressure" and "high pressure" is the part that confuses me.  By the looks of it, the breakage would be on the high pressure side, assuming that the high pressure side is the part that runs back and forth in the grid array on the back of the fridge, and the low pressure side runs to the cavities that actually surround the food and do the real cooling.  I figured the latter was the low pressure side because I've popped another fridge before with a screwdriver in a de-icing incident and the freon is just encapsulated in 1/16" plastic...not exactly capable of containing anything under "high pressure".

Hmmm...then what "freon" to use;  R12, 134a, SP34e, R414?  Probably the latter two because they are compatible with all freon types.

goat

I have seen someone use a compressor from a mini-fridge to temporarily replace the A/C compressor on a ford explorer, but It didn't work for crap. Yes, it did cool the air enough to consider it an A/C system but it was a bad way to do things.

I don't know much about the differences between refrigerants, or refrigeration systems, but given that experience I'm not sure all refrigerants are created equal.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      - Ben Franklin

Daniely

Im still stuck as to what type of projectile could break brass tubing...
-Dan

Riding: 2001 TL100R
Riding: 1989 YSR 50
(sold) 2004 Raven R1
(sold) 2002 Yam V-Star 650 Custom
(sold) 2001 CBR F4i
(Sold) 1999 CBR 600 F4
(Sold) 2001 GS500

cernunos

Seed blew out of his pipe?  :lol:  (ya know I'm ribbin' ya Dom). Love the toddling 500 and the world's greatest forum.

C.......
Don't hurt, don't take, don't force
(Everybody should own an HD at least once)
(AMF bowling balls don't count)
Jake D for President 2008

Dom

Quote from: cernunosSeed blew out of his pipe?  :lol:
C.......

It's no secret that I love my beer and have as a result of beer found myself in some pretty kinky situations, though never involving a beer bottle...but I would have to consider myself a beer enthusiast rather than a beer fetishist.

cozy

Start saving for a new one. You'll waste time and money trying to fix the old one, and might not succeed. You HAVE to put the same type of refrigerant back in that came out. I used to work on ice machines, You couldn't use the same parts for different types of refirgerant. And trust me, we would have recycled parts. They're designed specifically for each one. God i hated that job. :cheers:
**No matter where you go, There you are.**
2001 Ducati M750 Metallic

Anonymous

You were right about the high/low side...

The compressor compresses Freon gas, causing it to become hot, high-pressure Freon gas. This hot gas runs through a set of coils so it can dissipate its heat, and it condenses into a liquid. The Freon liquid runs through an expansion valve, and in the process it evaporates to become cold, low-pressure Freon gas. This cold gas runs through a set of coils that allow the gas to absorb heat and cool down the air inside the refrigerator. Mixed in with the Freon is a small amount of a lightweight oil. This oil lubricates the compressor.

I'd agree...  Buy a new one.

roguegeek

Isn't freon illegal to have in most states unless you're certified in some way? I think I remember hearing stories in high school of some kid who got his high from sucking on freon. Makes your voice all low I think too?
Rich - Project: Rich
2005 Honda S2000 | 2006 Honda CBR600RR | 1997 Suzuki GS500E (sold)

yamahonkawazuki

um correct me if im wrong here, but if this person was sucking on freon, would the hospital i assume, have to defrost his windpipe? :?  :dunno:
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Blueknyt

toss the fridge, r22 is expensive and you have to be licensed to handle it. 134a used in cars wouldnt cool it well enough, without changing expasion valve and changing the condensor rig(black tubes on back) funny think i just gave away a .7 CF kenmore, worked great.
Accelerate like your being chased, Corner like you mean it, Brake as if you life depends on it.
Ride Hard...or go home.

Its you Vs the pavement.....who wins today?

Michael

Red wine.  :cheers:   Doesn't need a fridge.
Or, go pommy and drink the stuff at room temp.
Of course, their room temp. is 40 degrees.  :P  :lol:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Dom

Quote from: yamahonkawazukium correct me if im wrong here, but if this person was sucking on freon, would the hospital i assume, have to defrost his windpipe? :?  :dunno:

No, actually Freon is the trade name for the gas that up until very recently was used in asthma inhalers.  Squirt squirt.

Also, from from this website

"Because Freon is non-toxic, it eliminated the danger posed by refrigerator leaks. In just a few years, compressor refrigerators using Freon would become the standard for almost all home kitchens. In 1930, Thomas Midgley held a demonstration of the physical properties of Freon for the American Chemical Society by inhaling a lung-full of the new wonder gas and breathing it out onto a candle flame, which was extinguished, thus showing the gas's non-toxicity and non-flammable properties. Only decades later did people realize that such chlorofluorocarbons endangered the ozone layer of the entire planet."[/quote]

Do I sound like an expert smarty pants?  I learned this today while trying to get my beer fridge back in the game.   :mrgreen:

bettingpython

So did you ever get it fixed? Or just buy a new one?
Why didn't you just go the whole way and buy me a f@#king Kawasaki you bastards.

Janx101

ShowBizWolf

This really messed with my brain this morning when I read through it... I thought, "Wow look at all these new/different people! Crazy this whole thread happened overnight..." Lmao then something made me notice the 2005 date on one of the posts.  :icon_razz:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk