News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Video PSA/roadside repair

Started by Watcher, May 16, 2018, 07:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watcher

Watcher was dumb, he neglected his bike.

Don't be like Watcher...

On second thought, Watcher was smart, he added tools to the factory tool-kit.

Do be like Watcher...
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

user11235813

Holy sh!t batman, you could have been in some wheel trouble there! How can that happen unless you perhaps forgot to tighten after last chain adjustment?

I've added a tyre plug kit and an electric pump ever since I found a bolt in my tire. http://www.rockycreekdesigns.com.au/motopressor-tyre-pump.html

Watcher

Quote from: user11235813 on May 16, 2018, 08:54:29 PM
Holy sh!t batman, you could have been in some wheel trouble there! How can that happen unless you perhaps forgot to tighten after last chain adjustment?

My last chain adjustment was when I installed the new chain, like a month and a half ago, lol!  Been...  Honestly I don't know how many miles.  I don't remember exactly what mileage the bike was at when I put the new tires on (should have written that down).  I have a picture in my phone of the odometer reading 11111 on 3/25/18, which was a Sunday and I was teaching a class about 30 miles away, and the picture was taken pulling up to the classroom after lunch.  The next picture is of the bolt in my rear tire on 3/31/18.  So 30 miles back from MSF, then about a week of going to work, which is 10 miles round trip, plus change for going to eat and such, lets call it ~11200.  Currently I'm at ~12100...  Damn, been almost 1000 miles already?
So it took about 1000 miles for this nut to work itself loose.

But here's a thing:
I don't own a torque-wrench, I typically just go by feel on the rear axle and I've been fine for the last 8000 miles and X many chain adjustments.  Maybe I should get a torque wrench and start doing the job correctly...

Quote from: user11235813 on May 16, 2018, 08:54:29 PM
I've added a tyre plug kit and an electric pump ever since I found a bolt in my tire.

I carry a Dynaplug kit, but I don't have any kind of inflator.  I don't really have the room for a compressor on the Duc, the alternative would be those CO2 inflators but you need quite a few of them to reinflate a tire.  Presumably you wouldn't be filling from empty, though, so long as you identify and plug the puncture fairly quickly.  It's next on my list.

-Neil Peart

user11235813

@Watcher

My last chain adjustment was when I installed the new chain, like a month and a half ago, lol!  Been like 500 miles.

I just use one of those old pointy needle types I got for 15 bucks s/hand. But I'm gonna get a better one for the head bolts. It takes enough torque and there's enough of a range (56 to 78 ft/lbs from memory) in the axle bolt that in spite of the 500 miles I reckon you forgot to tighten up. I've done that myself but I caught it before riding off. It's easy to do because when I do a laser chain alignment, I tighten it while adjusting just enough until I get it exactly where I want it, but that leaves me open to forgetting. However it's the sort of mistake you only make once, either because it's burned into your psyche, or you died.

Watcher

Quote from: user11235813 on May 16, 2018, 09:27:55 PM
@Watcher

My last chain adjustment was when I installed the new chain, like a month and a half ago, lol!  Been like 500 miles.

I just use one of those old pointy needle types I got for 15 bucks s/hand.

I went and edited my previous post, it's been more like 1000 miles!

I love those old pointy-needle type torque wrenches.  I don't particularly trust the clicky ones, at least not second hand ones, they're too easy to drop/damage and there's no way to verify that they're still accurate.  At least with the pointy-needle ones if the needle gets bent you can look at it and do math.  The digital ones are amazing, but the digital ones are pretty expensive.

But we sell a clicky type one at my work, probably be like $10 for me to buy it.
Then I gotta buy another socket.

Typically when I adjust the slack out I end the service by tightening the slack adjustment bolts a second time.
So I'll set the slack and alignment with the adjusters, tighten the axle down, then I'll tighten up the adjusters against the axle and do a final verification on the slack and alignment before I drop the bike.
This way if I forgot to tighten the axle, or didn't tighten the axle enough, I can see if it moves when I snug the adjusters down (bonus, sometimes the adjusters just aren't especially snug after pulling out the slack so I like to give them a palm twist).
Maybe I forgot to do all this?  Maybe it was snug enough to pass this test but still loose enough to vibrate off?   :dunno_black:

Either way...
Quote from: user11235813 on May 16, 2018, 09:27:55 PM
it's the sort of mistake you only make once, either because it's burned into your psyche, or you died.

-Neil Peart

user11235813

You can always test a torque wrench by setting up a bolt in a vice and hang a known weight off the handle I guess. Might have to do a bit of match depending on the length of the handle but they're usually a foot long.

ShowBizWolf

I enjoyed the vid, Watcher... thank you for sharing !! I am very glad you are OK :thumb:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

user11235813

@Watcher, forgot to ask what camera are you using and is it attached to your helmet. I've been looking for a camera but there's too much choice.

Watcher

I use a Sena Prism Tube and yes it's on my helmet.

It's a very basic camera, but that's what I was after.

On/off (record/save) is on a tactile sliding collar.
It films at 1080p @ 30fps.
It has about a 120° FOV.
It has a loop record mode.
It has about a 3hr battery life.
It takes about 3hr to charge.
It has a "button mic" you can wire into the helmet.
It costs about $120.

I treat it like a dash-cam.

-Neil Peart

The Buddha

You should align the chain adjusters as well - or atleast check them, they've been holding the axle in place when it was loose, and the're what 6mm ? 8 mm ? Make sure they're not cactus.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Watcher

Quote from: The Buddha on May 17, 2018, 08:46:17 AM
You should align the chain adjusters as well - or atleast check them

Way ahead of you.

-Neil Peart

user11235813

@Watcher, that looks like what I'm after a dash cam mainly, and I didn't want to drop a lot of coin, will be taking a closer look.

@Buddha, and the word for today is... https://vision.org.au/the-word-for-today/ ...'christ in a chicken basket', no that's 5 words, todays word is... cactus.

Watcher

Quote from: user11235813 on May 17, 2018, 09:32:18 AM
@Watcher, that looks like what I'm after a dash cam mainly, and I didn't want to drop a lot of coin, will be taking a closer look.

Check out my YT channel for more footage and some audio examples.  I highly recommend it if you're after a camera for safety.  It lacks a lot for vlogging but is just fine for day to day use.

-Neil Peart

Endopotential

Watcher, I think your rear wheel came loose because the video makes it look like you're riding at 200mph  :woohoo:

Cool windy canyon roads there.  Was that around Santa Monica?
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

alpo

DOOD! That could have been bad! I'm glad it worked out.  :cheers:

A decent beam torque wrench can be had for ~$20. I've had one forever and it gets the job done. The beam style is nice because you don't have to worry about calibrating it.  If you want to step up CDI makes some really nice click torque wrenches. They are Snap-On's industrial brand, but cost a lot less than a Snap-On.

Watcher

Quote from: Endopotential on May 17, 2018, 11:57:52 AM
Watcher, I think your rear wheel came loose because the video makes it look like you're riding at 200mph  :woohoo:

Cool windy canyon roads there.  Was that around Santa Monica?

Haha!  Makes my Ducati sound like a 2-smoke too!

Tucson, actually.  Local mountain road called Catalina Highway, leads to the peak of Mt Lemmon.

-Neil Peart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk